Passing inspection w/mods?

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Hello all, in the wonderful People's State of RI, we now have diesel emissions inspections. Before ULSD, of course. How do you make sure you pass with mods? I have a stock 2002 that I plan to do PP502 + RC on, and perhaps an 11mm pump down the road (once I go FMIC + VNT17). Will this pass emissions? Do they just floor the accelerator, or is it some kind of load test? I'm thinking that as long as I get enough air in the motor, the smoke should be minimal, so maybe stick a bleeder on the turbo line? Anyone else have any experience/trouble with this?

vwspeeder

TDI
Jetta A5 2005 Black
From what I understand, they do a load test similiar to California's smog inspection test.

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
So they put the drive wheels on some sort of roller, and accelerate up to a certain speed? If they're looking for sulphur,etc, then I think a tank of B100 might help, but more than likely, they're looking for NOx and HC, which fatter holes and the EGR mod are going to produce... anyone ever failed an inspection?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
First, I beleive Jeff recommends Sprint nozzles with his chip (at least on the A3, and I bet it applies to the A4 as well) because the PPs provide more fuel than the map can handle.

Second, I'm willing to bet that if your car is set up properly you'll have no trouble passing the test. Usually the allowable max for these tests is so high that a car has to be really out of wack to fail. Although we don't do diesel emissions tests in MA (or gas ones right now, for some reason) my wife's Toyota with 150K on it came in at 10% of the allowable emissions in its last inspection.

Remember that your car will probably have the same allowable max as a indirect injection Mercedes--bigger engine, less efficient combustion. I wouldn't worry about it. Worse comes to worse, you can raise IQ to make sure you pass.

Philip

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2004, Grey
diesel inspection in ontario consists of reving the engine and checking for black smoke, something that Biodiesel and fuel additives can take care of on a moded car, dunno about your state, but probably along the same lines.