Schaeffer Supreme 9000 5W-40

MarcoB

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI Wagon
I used this oil in my 2005 Jetta TDI (BEW) maybe 5 years ago. At that time it was in a black bottle with green label. I was just thinking about using it again and see that it's now in a red bottle. I'm sure it's just a marketing change, but does anyone know whether this oil had had a change in the formulation in the past 5 years? Is it still a good oil for the BEW engine? Unless I can get the local dealer to get it for me cheaper, it looks like I'll be paying about $8.22/qt online, before tax.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Schaeffer is what I continue to use since the camshaft was replaced at 120k. I'm at 260k now. Franko6 seems to prefer Schaeffer 9000 for PDs. I don't think that has changed. I am not aware of any formula change with the change in packaging.

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
I used this oil in my 2005 Jetta TDI (BEW) maybe 5 years ago. At that time it was in a black bottle with green label. I was just thinking about using it again and see that it's now in a red bottle. I'm sure it's just a marketing change, but does anyone know whether this oil had had a change in the formulation in the past 5 years? Is it still a good oil for the BEW engine? Unless I can get the local dealer to get it for me cheaper, it looks like I'll be paying about $8.22/qt online, before tax.

Schaeffer reformulated their S9000 somewhere around ‘12 I believe. They decreased the moly content drastically as well as magnesium and antimony. As off about 6-8 months ago the additive package has not appeared to have changed. Just the bottle. Try to find a fleet Service station near you that sells it. Look on Schaeffers website. There is a service station close to me that gives me a pretty good deal. No freight charges etc.