BRM pd no oil pressure

v-dub-u

TDI
02 jetta tdi 2010 jetta tdi, 92 corrado tdi
I bought a 06 with very low miles for very cheap, the guy claimed had a bad engine . figured i would take a chance. He Sold it due to oil psi light coming on and shutting down engine.
Hooked up manual gauge and started it ,found sensor was fine, was not building any pressure. Started it with sensor out and nothing came out. ( yes i know it's not good to run it without oil psi;) but it's the only way to diagnose it.

Dropped the oil pan and found At one time it had a cheap oil filter on it and clogged the pickup tube, removed pumped and cleaned it out and dropped #1 & 4 main caps and found bearings looked very good surprisingly. Stuck them back up temporally and started engine. Engine built oil psi (steady stream comes out oil psi sensor) but won't build over 5 psi. I'm thinking maybe the filter came apart and is holding open pressure relief valve open. Any other opinions out there ? My questions (1) are the main bolts stretch bolts and does anyone have the specs (2) where is the pressure relief valve on a brm, thinking its on filter housing.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
it's in the housing and can be accessed without removing it iirc ... it's a large star bit/torx on the side of the housing.... btw if the engine shut down due to low oil pressure it's because something seized!.... first place to look is the number one cam journal and bearing for signs of galling

Last edited:

v-dub-u

TDI
Thanks. The mkv I believe has engine protection by shutting it down. Engine turns over free by hand and very little signs of metal in the oil and pan. Engine does act like it's under a load before shutdown and will turn over immediately after. So ECM must be shutting it down.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Thanks. The mkv I believe has engine protection by shutting it down. Engine turns over free by hand and very little signs of metal in the oil and pan. Engine does act like it's under a load before shutdown and will turn over immediately after. So ECM must be shutting it down.
not true ... no car has that feature

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
"Engine does act like it's under a load before shutdown"
this is because a galling bearing is putting the brakes on the crank ... either a cam, rod or crank bearing is in meltdown .... i would at a minimum pull the cam and inspect the lower number one journal bearing shell and cam journal as this is the first one to suffer when no oil is present ... being a BRM the cam may be shot anyway

Last edited:

v-dub-u

TDI
I miss typed sorry, engine does NOT act like it's under a load when shutdown. Runs fine when shut down. And I can turn it over by hand immediatly after it shuts down. I'll pull the cam and see what I can find��

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Your turbocharger is probably shot from oil starvation, too. Factor the cost of a new turbo into your repair budget. It could be that the turbo is seized and starving the engine of airflow, causing it to stop running.