Manual to automatic conversion

baf2000

TDI
VW Bora 2000
I have a Bora/Jetta 2000 tdi manual gear here in the UAE and I want to convert it to an automatic gear. I have had this car for only a year and three months, but during this time I have been having problems with the gearbox. I have spent a lot of money trying to maintain it.
What parts do I need in order to do this successfully.
Thanks in advance.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Very bad idea. The automatics from that era are failure prone, and for the most part not rebuildable. It will be a lot cheaper to stay with a manual.

What are the problems you have been experiencing and what work has been done?

If you must have an auto, go with a Toyota.

marshalldanielp

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Gls Wagon auto
Very bad idea. The automatics from that era are failure prone, and for the most part not rebuildable. It will be a lot cheaper to stay with a manual.

2nd that. Better off with the manual rebuild or replace.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
3rd that - the O1M auto-tragic has justly earned its reputation. Get a replacement 5 speed manual if you need a replacement transmission.

Jesus Is Lord

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon 144,000 2003 Eurovan VR6 2007 Touareg V10 TDI 158,000

The VW manual trnamission is quite reliable and fairly cheap to repair while the auto is not. And toyota auto transmission may have a little better reputation but they also have less miles. Toyota transmissions fail at almost the same mileage as VW's. Right now I am working on a 1998 Rav 4 with a bad auto and it only has 119,000 miles.

baf2000

TDI
VW Bora 2000

When I bought the car the first and reverse gears were a little stiff. A month later I start hearing sound coming from gearbox. Two days later I smell something and take it to the garage. The clutch plate was badly damaged with broken parts. I replaced it and now again the same thing.
But what I noticed was that after the first repair and when the car is cold the gear work fine for a while (20 mins) but then the first and reverse start acting up. I sometimes have to switch car off to put in first or reverse.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
sounds like a clutch problem not a gearbox problem.
may also be a worn clutch fork and or pivot post.

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
Ok, let's say it is the clutch fork and or pivot post, how do I fix? Do I replace the parts or?
Transmission has to come out. If miles aren't too high on the current clutch, you may be able to reuse it, but general consensus is to replace everything while the transmission is out. Go ahead and replace both the clutch fork and pivot while it is out. Probably not a bad idea to change the clip that holds them together as well.

baf2000

TDI
VW Bora 2000
Transmission has to come out. If miles aren't too high on the current clutch, you may be able to reuse it, but general consensus is to replace everything while the transmission is out. Go ahead and replace both the clutch fork and pivot while it is out. Probably not a bad idea to change the clip that holds them together as well.
The car has been in the garage for a few days now. The mechanic said it will cost $1000 to fix and that they will have to do some reprogramming. Does the manual gear need any reprogramming?

Jesus Is Lord

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon 144,000 2003 Eurovan VR6 2007 Touareg V10 TDI 158,000
Changing a clutch does not require any reprogramming.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It sounds like your shop doesn't know what they're doing. There is NO programming that can be done on the transmission, and nothing that would need to be done on the engine due to a problem with the manual transmission.

If your shop changed the clutch two days ago and it's having problems, then the shop should be responsible for fixing it. All shops here provide warranty on the work that they do. Is it not the same where you are?

baf2000

TDI
VW Bora 2000
It sounds like your shop doesn't know what they're doing. There is NO programming that can be done on the transmission, and nothing that would need to be done on the engine due to a problem with the manual transmission.

If your shop changed the clutch two days ago and it's having problems, then the shop should be responsible for fixing it. All shops here provide warranty on the work that they do. Is it not the same where you are?
Just got the car back from the garage. It feels better and they gave a 3 month warranty for the work done. But when I asked about the reprogramming, well no one answered me.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Just got the car back from the garage. It feels better and they gave a 3 month warranty for the work done. But when I asked about the reprogramming, well no one answered me.
Keep a close eye (and ear) on it for the next three months.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
The only thing that could cause computer problems on a repair like this is if they pinched the crank angle sensor wire when re-installing the transmission. I have seen the ecu fried from this, the wire gets between the bellhousing and engine block during the install causing a short that can fry the ecu or the sensor. I seen both happen over the years on this kind of repair if someone gets in a hurry or isn't familiar with all the parts involved in the area of the remove and re-install.

My guess is maybe this is what happened, they figured it out and just didn't tell you what they had done.....