Getting plastic outer CV boot on axle?

Cleenlivin

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG) boughtback, 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (Tiptronic), 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (5 speed)
I recently removed, cleaned, re-packed and re-booted my outer CV joint. I had a heck of a time getting the hard plastic boot over the axle shaft without the small diameter end inverting or folding in on itself. After numerous times and the help of some channelocks I was finally able to get the boot on.

Does anyone have any tricks of the trade to get the hard plastic boot on the axle?

Does anyone think this may lead to an increased chance the boot may fail at this location due to my repeated attempts to put get the boot over the axle shaft and the area being subjected to repeated flexing?

By the way, this is the location where my previous boot failed.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
I usually lube it up, and use the shaft portion of a pick to roll it over the edges that stick

need4speed

Veteran Member
I just replace the whole axle. That's a PITA all in it's own. But no dealing with special boot clip crimp tools.