P247A CEL on a 2011 Golf TDI

Dan H.

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Hey all,
Driving home tonight, I had a CEL turn on. Would like some advice or perspective on what this could be. Car is a 2011 Golf TDI with 35,000 miles and completely stock. I bought this car from a private seller about a month ago. Since I bought it I changed the oil and put about 2500 miles on it. Oil was 5W-30 Mobil 1 ESP with the VW 504 and 507 rating.

Details from the OBD scan

P247A
Exhaust Gas Temperature out of Range
Bank 1 Sensor 3

I did turn the motor off and start it back up and the light was still on.

Any ideas?

Thank you,
Dan

Dan H.

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
What sensor would I check? I'm having a difficult time finding information online this morning.

dirtysouthjacket

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium 6MT, 2004 Jetta TDI GLS (sold)
It's an EGt sensor, I would start by clearing the code and see if it comes back. Do you have access to VCDS? Or just using an OBD2 reader?

Dan H.

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
This ended up being a bad temperature sensor in the exhaust pipe. Since I thought that this would be covered under an emissions warranty, i took it to the dealer. Big surprise, it was not covered and the bill was around $500 for a part that is probably about $75.

LeonVFB

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I just got the same exact code in my car last night...

Did you try disputing it with Volkswagen at all, maybe they would cover some of the bill?

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
There are two sensors that sit side-by-side in the exhaust up near the engine. If you had the code for sensor 3 then that would be the G495 sensor. It is the more expensive of the two sensors and has a retail price of $177.65. Their labor seems to have eaten up the rest of that $500 bill.

Check your receipt and see if the installed p/n 03L 906 088 G.