Check engine light

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
It's not a dangerous situation so if you need to go to the store, go. If you have other options, take them.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
My owners manual says the flashing glow plug light indicates an engine controller problem. flashing MIL (check engine) is described as emissions.

(earlier models may vary)

without a vw-specific scan, it would seem difficult to know the error would not cause damage. if it led to the car stopping, that could be dangerous, depending on traffic and location.

Is there a list of malfunctions tied to flashing MIL vs glow plug? By model and year?

kathie659

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001
i am still trying to find a "real " owners manual rather than a download.....We aren't using the car at all - we have an appointment on Tuesday to drop it off - its around a mile away we are hopeful it close enough...

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
He also mentioned that the waterpump in this year had some propeller problems, gave me 2 options 1) Bring it back to be changed 2) Watch for temp spikes and stop driving immediately if the temp light comes on. The timing belt was changed 30K miles ago - he said that was good for another 70K, but its to bad they didnt do water pump as the cost in the new pump was in the labor it takes to get to it. He typically does water pump and timing belt at same time. Car runs like a champ - starts faster than ever, no light on. He also asked me to give him first shot if I ever decide to sell!
No, A very bad assumption. If ALL the recommended parts were not changed, you will have a catastrophic timing failure well before you reach 7oK miles.

Can you post by part # the parts that were actually changed? If you don't have that info, the T/B and associated parts need to replaced. The T/B almost never fails on these car. Usually with a timing failure, what fails is the W/P, tensioner, idler rollers or TTY bolts from re-use.

IDK about the mech you are using, but if he doesn't have the TDI timing tools and real experience on TDI's, there is a very good chance he doesn't know what he is doing and could destroy your TDI.

Ask him how he goes about doing a TDI T/B change including what special tools he uses and report back.

Last edited:

NoSmoke

Veteran Member
TDI
2K2 Golf
This may sound wacky, but a bad brake light swtch will cause the glow plug light to come on. Does your cruise control engage? If not, go ahead and change the brake light switch.
On my 02 Golf, both brake light bulbs burned out will flash the glow plug light (or maybe it just comes on - can't recall which) and disable cruise control. I know as I changed the brake switch with no improvement. Replacing the bulbs cured the problem.

kathie659

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001
1) All lights fine on car
2) My mechanic didnt change timing belt - my daughters mechanic did (I bought car from her) - I have her mechanics number and will ask to let me know what was done (hope he has records).
3) MY mechanic warned me that several items should have been changed when the timing belt was done - he drives a Jetta TDI his wife had a Diesel bug - he had two tdi in lot (awaiting repair) and one on the lift.
4) I did get an owners manual off of ebay - I was surprised as I have been contacted ebay sellers and until today they told me the manuals they had available were not for diesels.....
Expecting up to a foot of snow tomorrow - its unlikely i will take the jetta back to shop until all the snow is cleaned up (he has limited parking)

kathie659

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001
Ok all lights weren't fine - turned out to be the backup light switch....i found work orders timing belt was changed, nothing else. Discussed with mechanic - since the belt is only $40.00 and the expense is in the labor - I'm going to have the belt, water pump and any other recommended service done at same time.....

kathie659

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001
The glow plug light only comes on before I start it now - back up lights work.... its a 2001....I'm happy for now

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Thanks for the update. Glad it is all working well.

how long do you plan to wait for the complete timing belt job?

kathie659

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001
Timing belt was replaced about 40,000 miles ago (at 80K) it doesnt Need replacing yet, but after seeing the discussion on this forum and since the belt is only $40.00 and the expense is in the labor - I'm going to have the belt, water pump and any other recommended service done at same time.....

We are looking to change timing belt in the spring - 6 weeks or so.