2006 tdi 1.9 mexican

tiger100357

TDI
does anybody have any information about the 1.9 turbo diesel? I am a retired Marine living in Mexico and am thinking about purchasing one. Even though it is a manual transmission, it is front wheel drive. Any info would be appreciated, it only has around 45,000 miles. Thanks

Carlos_TJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Bora (BXE PD)
Hey..

Mexican TDI's are a mix of world vw parts. Check the engine code on the timing belt cover (under the engine bonnet), or in the vw dealer invoice ("factura" in spanish).
It could be a BEW, BLS, BXE....

MK5 in Mexico were PD engines until 2010 (2011 mk6 started as CR). i am not sure when they started with the DPF, my own '09 is a PD without DPF, i suspect the reason being mexican Low sulphur diesel is not widely available yet.

If you can find your engine code we can see how many parts are common with the US PD so you could order online parts and so on......

As for the dealer, some parts are reasonably priced (air filter is around $25usd, diesel filter is around $30)..however other parts are stupid crazy like the turbo is close to $2k usd....

What city are you located? If you proceed with thw purchase you should get a vw guru..therw are many of them in mx... former dealer mechanics are common...

Cheers..
Carlos

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Over here 2006 jetta are 1.9L PD (pump duse) engine code BRM on an mk5 body style.

Now, if you say it is a 1.9L TDI then it is either a rotary pump (pre PD) or PD. All CR (common rail) as far as I know are 2.0L.

Are you sure those are 45k miles or rather kilometers? In either case those are fairly low for a 2006 car. In general, TDIs are front wheel drive and manual gear is the best way to go for a tranny that is simple, reasonable ($$) to fix, and durable.

I hope that helps.