Proper fuel tank to store diesel?

TNTDIGolf

TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Does diesel fuel require a different tank for storage than gasoline? Will a jerry can for gasoline work fine for diesel? What about gasoline fuel tanks (steel or plastic) for outboard motors?

I'm in a fuel point program that discounts the cost of the fuel but I lose the points at the end of each month and my Golf holds less than half that I am able to buy at the discount rate.

frosz

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI 1.9 AFN -98 (Manual) ~480 000km Passat TDI 1.9 AVG -00 (Manual) ~170 000km Golf Variant 1.6 16v AZD -02 (Manual Petrol) ~220 000km
Jerry cans are fine even chemical resistant plastics. Seen farmers using 200l plastic barrels. Just make sure they are clean inside.

Fuel has a expire date. Dont store it too long. My snowmobile's petrol get bad after 6 month. But I dont know why.

keaton85

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4
Petrol is different as it really does get bad(ish). Diesel has a much longger shelf life as long as you keep it from getting an algae bloom which can be treated.

TNTDIGolf

TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Is the algae still a problem with the low sulfur fuel? I had a '78 Rabbit that I had to take the screen out of the fuel tank that the algae clogged back in the '80s.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Yeah algae is definitely still an issue with ULSD. It is a result of water in the fuel more than anything. These days that doesn't tend to happen as often - the older cars often had way larger water separators since it was such a common occurrence.

DRY diesel is good for a very long time. As mentioned above it is much more stable than gasoline. All the vapours coming off of gas are part of what was the fuel; they leave behind varnish. Diesel doesn't really give off much of anything.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Also, you may want to hide the can as much as possible from the attendant. Technically it is probably illegal to put it in a non-yellow (designated for diesel) container. In most cases the attendant would never care, but on an off chance they do and they say something plead ignorant.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I have some 10 year old diesel (purchased during Katrin) .......

The diesel fuel in my RV (80 gallons) has been there since last summer....

I had the same issues with the early VW diesels back in the 80s. That screen was useless and a problem. The fuel filter catches the algae, then and now!

Seems there are rules on what you can put fuel in ......Red = Gasoline, Yellow = Diesel Fuel and Blue = Kerosene . But, I doubt anyone will be standing at the pumps telling you no.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
I've never had any issue filling my red can with diesel. It has the appropriate certifications though, despite the color.

There isn't actually any rules saying diesel has to be dispensed in to a specific color container, just that the container needs to be certified. It can be a big black oil drum, a big red in-bed tank on a pickup or a red plastic jerry can, it just needs the appropriate numbers stamped on it somewhere.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The color is related to safety .............. in other words, it would not be a good idea to put gasoline in a blue container. Someone might put the contents in a kerosene heater ......... go figure!

Jeff Peanut Butter jars (clear plastic) work just fine with diesel........ So do some of the heavy juice containers.

Example: Of course you are not going to store fuel in such a small container. But, I think you can see that most plastics can handle Diesel Fuel and the additives.

Last edited: