G13 Coolant better for environment? But any good in our TDIs?

s.pavel6

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 Jetta TDI
Some of the TDIClub approved vendors have started carrying the G13 coolant, which is supposedly based on glycerin instead of glycol. Great.

But what is it compatible with? Could this be the next stage of VW coolants, and if so, does it make sense to begin replacing the G12++ with it?

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
I don't see this as being a improvement to the G12++. I believe it to be a more environmentally friendly product. VW norm TL 774 J is the specification of this coolant and the technical data can be found if you search for Glysantin GG40 (the supplier).

I currently don't know of any vehicles that specify TL 774J. G12++ is the current recommendation which is norm TL 774 G.

millerman61

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI Premium w/Nav, DSG. Bought back on 12/23/16
Owners manual for the 2013 Jetta TDI says to use G13, but when you pop the hood and look the tank has a big ole' G12 stamp on it.

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
I guess we'll have to see what the technical service manuals state to be the correct fluid.

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
There's more info on G13 HERE from ECS Tuning and CRP Industries (importer of Pentosin fluids). See the last couple pages.

Off topic, CRP Industries is listed on the VW DSG fluid bottles as the importer, suggesting that VW original DSG fluid is manufactured by Pentosin. However, regarding coolants, I'm not sure if Pentosin makes any G13.

mikeinkansas

50 miles from Kansas City in rural Princeton, KS
TDI
04-Jetta 05-NB
I just went to buy some G12 at the dealer in Olathe yesterday. Asked for G12 they gave me G13. Did not specifically ask if they had G12, wished I would have. The parts guy told me it is compatible with G12, like the link above says.

But think I will flush and go all G13 in our new beetle instead of a mix. Thanks - Mike

blazen71

Veteran Member
TDI
All Gone
I just bought a gal. of VW G13. It is lavender in color. I am going to mix it with the pink G12 in the car now. It's supposed to be backwards compatible with all G coolants.