2006 Jetta TDI Air Filter

CincyAudi

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
So I went to the local Autozone to purchase a new Fram air filter like i have done with my previous cars and Fram doesn't make an Jetta air filter for the 1.9L diesel. Does everyone buy their filters at the dealership and if so how much do they cost?

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
CincyAudi said:
Does everyone buy their filters at the dealership and if so how much do they cost?
Yes I do. Not sure of the cost, but it was in line with what I would expect to pay at autozone.

ps. it's cheaper at the dealer than impex + shipping.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Windjammer said:
ps. it's cheaper at the dealer than impex + shipping.
True when you are only ordering one filter, but if you group your purchase it will be cheaper. I usually buy several filters and several types of filters (oil, air, fuel) at the same time as well as any other parts I might be needing soon.

CADtechTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 A5 Jetta 5 spd Pkg 1
I'd recommend you buy the "winter" version of the TDI air filter - it has an extra mesh pad pre-filter over the pleated portion that tends to catch alot of crud. It's intent is to catch condensation in cold-weather applications, but I run them year-round, since they do such a great job in the dusty summer months.
P/n is 1K0-129-620-D for the cold-weather version (normal one is suffix "E").

Last edited:

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
Fram stuff sucks anyway. Google their oil filters coming apart and tanking engines. It happens alot.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You will find that most filters and fluids are only available for the most part from the dealer, online and the vendors here at this site. I say price it out at the dealer and at our preffered vendors here.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=97080

I just ordered a complete brake replacement for $225 for when I need them in the future. The dealer wanted more than twice that and another $500 for labor. No thanks. You can buy whole filter packs from the vendors here for $65. Buy two or three sets and keep them on hand. Keep the correct oil on hand as well as you can't find it anywhere either. One liter in the trunk at all times.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Also, remember that once you crack open the filter housing it breaks the seal and the filter has to be replaced. I replace mine every 15k and I use the non-cold climate version.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Well, around here I drive through a lot of construction zones ...seems like they are always doing construction somewhere. My filters tend to be crudded up pretty good around that time. I could probably stand to go 20k, but in my situation I do not want to go 40k.

CincyAudi

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
This is the first I am hearing about having to change your filter if you check to see if it is dirty. Someone please tell me this isn't the case.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
It is not the case.

I just re-read the message I was replying to. Please disregard my original answer. I misread that question.

I agree that it is not wise to "Check" your engine air cleaner. Removing the cover or filter to look at it can result in a poor seal if it is re-used. It is not really a good idea to base filter changes based on what the filter looks like anyway since dust color varies by location and some local dust is very close to the color of the filter material so you might fail to replace a clogged filter.

Thanks no-blue-screen for pointing that out.

Last edited:

coffeefor2

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I use these guys;

http://www.gremanfilters.com

They seem reasonable and when you buy a $50.00 minimum, the shipping is free. I get the orders to the front door with 2 or 3 days. I have 2 jettas now so I just stock up and make a purchase about every 3 or 4 months (we do like to dive in my house :D ).

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Joe_Meehan said:
It is not the case.

I just re-read the message I was replying to. Please disregard my original answer. I misread that question.

I agree that it is not wise to "Check" your engine air cleaner. Removing the cover or filter to look at it can result in a poor seal if it is re-used. It is not really a good idea to base filter changes based on what the filter looks like anyway since dust color varies by location and some local dust is very close to the color of the filter material so you might fail to replace a clogged filter.

Thanks no-blue-screen for pointing that out.
Hey no problem...just trying to save someone a MAF replacement. Also, what you say about the dust is very true....it's hard to tell....I just do frequent AF changes because I constantly drive through dirt clouds and dust. I just point out about the inpecting of the filter because over the years it has become common practice to just crack open a housing and check the filter.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Air Filter

CincyAudi said:
So I went to the local Autozone to purchase a new Fram air filter like i have done with my previous cars and Fram doesn't make an Jetta air filter for the 1.9L diesel. Does everyone buy their filters at the dealership and if so how much do they cost?
According to AutoZone online the Fram Air filter for the Jetta TDI is CA8602 price is $12.99:)

PumpDeuce

TDI
2005+ Jetta
corrado tdi said:
We have the heavy duty version of the BRM air filter in our 20k filter kit.

http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=451
if changing air filter every 20K (instead of 40K), and not located in 'Cold Climate' (ie, Florida), does it make sense to just buy the 'regular' air filter (without the gauze prefilter)? That would be VW part 1K0129620D. That's what happened to come with the 40K service pack from worldimpex, so I'm gonna run it for 20K and see what my mileage, etc looks like. May run it less miles if all agree that only the 'Cold Climate' airfilter should be used. Any of you warm clime TDIers ever take a look at airflow on your VagCom for any difference?

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Is anybody using an aftermarket filter, Like K&N? I saw a K&N drop-in, and 57i complete intake listed on thier website. I also saw on listed on a site from Nuespeed...anybody used it?

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Lightflyer1 said:
Just search on K&N and save some bandwidth.
There was a discussion on Air Filters, and I figured I would ask the question...what's wrong with that. Isn't it easier to answer the question. Do you only want new questions on this forum, how does that help with discussion and learning???:confused:

Also...by the way...searching would use way more bandwidth than just asking the question above...and having somebody answer it...so your statement is kinda moronic. If you want I can do a packet capture to prove it.:rolleyes:

Back to the topic...So K&N isn't thought of very highly, neither is it by the Diesel Truck Guru's, that I normally hang out with. I can find on one website where Nuespeed has a kit for our motors, but I can't find it listed on thier site, has anybody got one?

Thanks...

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Our TDIs already have 'cold air intake' by design, so a CAI kit isn't needed unless you want it for looks or something.

I personally have two issues with the K&N filter:

1) It is an oiled filter and there have been cases of ruined MAF sensors because they get oil soaked. Some will argue that is beause the person is oiling them wrong.

2) You either have higher airflow and less filtering efficiency (more dirt coming through), or vise versa. Higher airflow and you have more dirt in your oil and higher efficiency lets in less air but keeps more dirt out. I just don't buy into the marketing jargon that K&N and other companies put out saying that more air is coming in, but it still keeping all that dirt out. Even if there is a minimal difference, HP and torque gains are probably minimal to nothing and cost saivings very minimal due to the fact that the stock filters have a 40k miles change interval.

All if this is my opinion and there are many threads about K&N filters and why many feel they are not a good idea in our cars.

My advice....not worth it.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
LokiWolf said:
There was a discussion on Air Filters, and I figured I would ask the question...what's wrong with that. Isn't it easier to answer the question. Do you only want new questions on this forum, how does that help with discussion and learning???:confused:

Also...by the way...searching would use way more bandwidth than just asking the question above...and having somebody answer it...so your statement is kinda moronic. If you want I can do a packet capture to prove it.:rolleyes:
I was not trying to offend. It has been discussed to death and a simple search would have answered your question as fast as you hit submit. I was trying to help "you" find your answer. Welcome to the forum and enjoy yourself!

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Wolf, never mind Dave, he is a little hard nose on the repetitive questions and newbies..

I use the AFE proguard 7 on the trucks and it is the best filter out there..hands down...

I need to drop a bug in their ear about making one for the TDI's..7 layers of filter media. The 6L have mass flow sensors on them and the AFE doesn't mess with the MAF.

I have some conical AFE filters that I may just start running on the Jetta, I got OA of 4ppm silicon on the 6L and 7.3 using the AFE's. So No-One can argue with that.

Alot of the people on this board are followers, they hear/listen to the select few on here and then its written in stone...

I know what I know and alot of times it differs from here. The 'experts' said there was no difference in the stock exhaust Vs. the straight pipe on the Jetta, I am here to tell you otherwise, I was one of the first to straight pipe mine. For years the word here was, dont do it, you wont gain anything. I did state that mine has a drone now, but a tip has helped that now. The turbo spools a lot faster not that the back pressure is gone.

I am going to pull my stock airbox and make an intake for the AFE filter. I believe in them.

About the MAF, be careful oiling the filter, but it cautiouns you about this in the instructions. did they read the instructions?

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Thanks Mach1...I appreciate it.

Know all about the 6L!!!

As you can see my other vehicle is a 6L, thats why I got the Jetta, because the fuel for my daily commute was killing my back pocket.

I am also a Big fan of the AFE. I am currently running a Fram Boost on my Truck, but that was because I got it for free. It will be replaced with either an AFE or Volant in the near future. Both, like you said have have multi layer dry media, and have been tested by independants to filter as good as a stock filter, and flow better. Believe it or not people, you can have both!!!! Its all about quality, and engineering.

Hey, If you get a setup with the AFE working, I would be interested in some pics, because I too would like to go in a simliliar direction.

I am not a follower...don't you worry about that. If I was a follower I would have gotten a PRIUS or a HYBRID CIVIC like everybody else was telling me too. I believe in the diesel as the true solution to our effecient engine needs, and so far I am very impressed by this car!!!

Ray