How will my 06 Jetta do in the mountains of Colorado?

badsnakeii

TDI
2006 Jetta Gunmetal Blue 5spd
I'm planning a trip to co in June. Im curious how my 06 tdi Jetta will do? Should I be concerned w the altitude? We will be hitting 9000+ft... What oil should I run? Should I be concerned with EGT's?

Any pointers would be great.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I'm planning a trip to co in June. Im curious how my 06 tdi Jetta will do? Should I be concerned w the altitude? We will be hitting 9000+ft... What oil should I run? Should I be concerned with EGT's?

Any pointers would be great.
This is one of the joys of a turbocharger. Your car will run just fine at altitude.

oil? The same high quality synthetic oil you should already be using.

EGTs? No worry, unless you are towing a large trailer. If EGTs get too high, your ECU will simply cut power to keep it in a safe zone.

As stated above: Drive more, worry less.

Have Fun!

Don

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
If your car is in a state of good repair, it will run fine through the rockies, mine did. You will probably notice a drop in power, but all the other cars around you will too.... LOL

2006 Jetta BRM w/RC1+

Bill

Luskavarna

TDI
MkIII AHU, mk1 NA/IDI the-iron-muel
Hammer down, foot to the wood. I have been to 11,000. Engine will be slightly gutless until the turbo starts to blow. With the VNT you may not notice any difference.

Mk3, AHU, 520's, Ko4, 2.5'' side dump. I notice more black smoke and longer turbo lag. The black smoke is the problem of the guy behind me :)

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
If you've never driven over the mountains in a turbocharged car, you're in for a pleasant surprise. They pretty much drive the same, regardless of altitude. None of the usual 3rd gear, WOT just to keep up. You will be working your turbo harder so make sure everything is in good working order. EGT's will also be higher but that is all proportionate to how much you have to thrash it. You will never really be required to do that if you drive reasonably. Weight is also something to consider. Fully loaded w/passengers and luggage will have some negative effect as well but... overall, TDI's do great in the mountains. I'll even take it step further, it's a real pleasure.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
the 06 TDI come stock with an EGT probe? I did not know that.

My TDI vanagon went to 16,000', no problems.
06 and prior don't have any EGT monitoring. This feature is only on the '09-onward common-rail engines.

Nevertheless, as long as you drive with some common sense, it will be fine. You might - MIGHT - have to downshift to 4th going up some of the steeper hills but you can still go normal speed.

I tow a trailer with mine (and will be doing another towing trip this coming Wednesday overnight into Thursday) and even with that, it doesn't get pushed down lower than 4th gear. On steep downhills I'll gear down to save the brakes - just like a mini tractor-trailer unit :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
FWIW, we sell a lot of turbos to people with BEWs and BRMs (both Borg-Warner turbos) in the Rockies. I think those little turbos work pretty hard at altitude and can fail more readily than the Garretts. As others have said if you've taken care of the car it should be fine, but I wouldn't test fate by pushing it at WOT to redline in 4th climbing over the Vail pass or something like that.

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
Hehe, I drive to winthrop during the summer many times and through the mountains theres one part in particular where we push i believe 8,000 feet altitude. in my 1995 Pathfinder, i would be WOT in 2nd gear pushing 6k rpms and decelerating while going up this hill. in my 2006 jetta tdi, i downshifted to 4th and carried along like it was nothing :)

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
I just got back from a road trip to Utah.

We stayed at a condo in Brian Head, elevation 9000ft. The route climbed over several passes over 7500 ft, and performance was not an issue.

I would agree with IBW that the turbo is pushed harder at altitude. For my VNT 20, it wasn't an issue, but the extra heat generated taxed my cooling system. I was also careful to no exceed an EGT of 1100F.

One interesting thing I found was an extremely difficult start at high altitude (9000ft) if the engine was allowed to completely cool off (overnight). It wasn't particularly cold, but I had to plug in a block heater to get it started.

Note all these comments are for a highly modded 1Z in a Toyota truck running B20...

Biz

TDI
2012 Jetta
I had an issue on my recent trip from New England to New Mexico with my '12 Jetta TDI. Had just driven up a 10,000' pass near Taos, heading back to Albuquerque when my check engine light came on. I didn't notice a thing different with the way it was running. Stopped at dealer to check it, he said it had failed a regen cycle, and had seen this happen before on cars from out of the area that don't see high elevations often. He forced a regen cycle, no charge, and we left. Car has run fine since then, and hasn't had the problem before or after. 20K miles on the car. Anybody else heard of this?

Other than that, i didn't notice any drop in power even at the high elevations.

lowflyer

Veteran Member
TDI
new beetle
Just took my `05 NB TDI to Coal Creek Canyon,Colo. (google it) from Milwaukee,Wi. and back. Had good power in the mountains and kept it at 80mph, 2800rpm most of the way on the interstate. One stretch I got 43 mpg. Worked out very good.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
06 and prior don't have any EGT monitoring. This feature is only on the '09-onward common-rail engines.

Nevertheless, as long as you drive with some common sense, it will be fine. You might - MIGHT - have to downshift to 4th going up some of the steeper hills but you can still go normal speed.

I tow a trailer with mine (and will be doing another towing trip this coming Wednesday overnight into Thursday) and even with that, it doesn't get pushed down lower than 4th gear. On steep downhills I'll gear down to save the brakes - just like a mini tractor-trailer unit :)
I went up vail Pass in 5th gear once...loaded w passenger. but I was flying....in my ALH....The CR is amazing in the montanas....senor

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I went up vail Pass in 5th gear once...loaded w passenger. but I was flying....in my ALH....The CR is amazing in the montanas....senor
That is fine, as long as you can keep "flying". But if you run into traffic and have to slow down, then I recommend downshifting so you can keep the revs up. 2600-2700 rpm in top gear is fine, or in a lower gear; but 2000 rpm in top gear on a steep incline puts too much stress on the turbo.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Once you have climbed many feet it might be a good idea to shut off the car and re-start it. The ECU only looks at outside air pressure when you first start the engine... and the requested boost is different in the mountains compared to sea level.

-J

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Once you have climbed many feet it might be a good idea to shut off the car and re-start it. The ECU only looks at outside air pressure when you first start the engine... and the requested boost is different in the mountains compared to sea level.
I did not know that.

I did know that the ECM has a barometric altimeter built into it.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta

-J
I have done a lot of road tripping through the intermountain west and can confirm that the ECU adjusts boost based on altitude, boost actually increases up to 1500 meters and then decreases above that (that is according to a TDI tech document that Valois (!) gave me years ago) and I have seen corroboration on my boost gauge. I do not stop and start the car when I change altitude significantly, the max boost levels change as I'm driving.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I know on my 99.5 at least there is no extra pressure sensor... the computer just uses the MAP sensor on the intercooler.