VW announces timing for EA288 Diesel Engine debut

MarcusW

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf BlueMotion
Apparently hot off the press although not completely specific

Volkswagen to Launch New TDI Clean Diesel Engine in U.S. - EA288 to Debut in Golf, Jetta, Passat and Beetle

Volkswagen announced that several of the new car models that it plans to roll out in the second half of 2014 will be powered by the new EA288 TDI Clean Diesel engine. The announcement was made today at the Automotive World Megatrends USA conference in Dearborn, Michigan.

The new EA288 engine will power the 2015 Golf, Beetle, Beetle Convertible, Passat, and Jetta models expected...

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
how do u know it's the SAME fuel pump? I would think the internals have been beefed up.....seems kinda obvious to me if I was in the VW warranty department,,,,,

Westro

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd love to see a CP4.1 that didn't run at engine RPM and had provisions to not allow the plunger to rotate in its bore.

Design issues this bother me over the long run.

Tuco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
The emissions system on these new engines sound like an absolute nightmare. Expensive parts integrated into other expensive parts....when one of them goes, have fun with that repair...

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
A closer look at Volkswagen's new 2.0L diesel MDB engine

...The new 2.0L TDI is a turbocharged, common-rail, direct-injection four-cylinder engine based on the Volkswagen Group’s modular diesel toolkit (MDB, Modularen Diesel Baukasten). Volkswagen also has a modular gasoline engine toolkit, the MOB (Modularen Ottomotor Baukasten), which includes the new EA211 series. Both MDB and MOB play critical roles in the Volkswagen Group’s larger MQB modular toolkit, which is in turn one of the four main modular toolkits (modularen Baukästen) of the Group: the MQB (transverse); the MLB (longitudinal); the MSB (standard drive); and the NSF (New Small Family)....
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2014/03/20140322-ea288.html

Second Turbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Wagon, 373K, 2nd 01M
2000 bar is 29000 psi

> It STILL uses the CP4.1 pump?

That seems to be the guess. I can't find a reliable source.

But wait, there's more. The GCC article says that the EA288 runs at 2000 bar, and the current engine at 1800, implying that the pressure would be 11% higher. This doesn't sound correct. I had thought the current CP4.1 was already running at 1930 bar.

I can't imagine that VW would launch this in the US with a risk of HPFP failure rates at 2009 levels. But I personally plan to wait a year before considering buying one.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Does the EA288 use piezo or high speed solenoid injectors?

I ask because the CJAA and CBEA are piezo and the CKRA (Passat) is solenoid.

jgeorge

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 audi a3 tdi
Seeing as we are in the market for the 2015 A3 sedan TDI which is to arrive in Canada in Aug '14, I asked the salesman about changes to the DPF system-will it use Urea and has the HPFP been redesigned. He said he would look into both of my concerns. Then his reply-

- The A3 TDI is supposedly set to come without UREA injection, however they are still testing to see how this will fare with our emission controls in Canada and may have to install.
- The Filler cap is UREA is necessary will most likely be placed beside the gas neck filler
- High pressure fuel pump has been changed, and the new pump is supposedly much more efficient and apparently has even added more HP & Torque!

Just have to wait and see about any DPF system changes.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Seeing as we are in the market for the 2015 A3 sedan TDI which is to arrive in Canada in Aug '14, I asked the salesman about changes to the DPF system-will it use Urea and has the HPFP been redesigned. He said he would look into both of my concerns. Then his reply-

- The A3 TDI is supposedly set to come without UREA injection, however they are still testing to see how this will fare with our emission controls in Canada and may have to install.
- The Filler cap is UREA is necessary will most likely be placed beside the gas neck filler
- High pressure fuel pump has been changed, and the new pump is supposedly much more efficient and apparently has even added more HP & Torque!

Just have to wait and see about any DPF system changes.

I question your dealer's knowledge and/or source of information.

jgeorge

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 audi a3 tdi
The dealer is Phaff Audi just north of Toronto. It was at the Canadian unveiling gala for the sedan held at this dealer earlier this year that I attended and asked these questions.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Also, the fuel pressure ratings quoted are maximums that the engine design is capable of.

Doesn't mean that every market will get the maximums. I'd expect that we'd get lower pressure, with more emissions controls.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
I will be waiting well over a year to see what the new engine performs like as well. That's why I bought a gasser for the interim.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
i asked my VW dealer about this and only received funny looks and a mention that the Golf is going to the MK7 for 2015.

Debra Morgan

Veteran Member
TDI
Memories of a fantastic 2015 Jetta
i asked my VW dealer about this and only received funny looks and a mention that the Golf is going to the MK7 for 2015.
Vw dealers seem to be astonishingly clueless about their cars. One wonders if they think beetles are still air cooled.

30_Yr_Dsl_Veteran

banned Ric Woodruff alias account and troll
TDI
2009 Jetta
The "new" engine is a "red herring", because torque is exactly the same as engines dating back to 2009, so you won't notice a bit more power, since it is torque you notice, HP, not so much, unless you are going TOP SPEED, which is something virtually nobody does.