Air to water cooler.... why don't i see a lot?

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
http://frozenboost.com/

why don't i see a lot of people on here or anyone for that matter running those?
i would guess it can reduce lag because there is less intake piping to fill up with air.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Because they're more complicated and require more maintenance. Lag also isn't a very big issue with these cars when they're stock or even moderately modded.

Last edited:

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I have a large FMIC and if the lag is greater it is a millisecond lag that I do not notice.

Yes more maintenance for sure with water.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
Lag from a large intercooler is a myth. The airflow from the turbo is so large it swamps whatever volume you have before the head.

Air/water are complex and expensive, air/air does just fine in nearly all applications.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Lag from a large intercooler is a myth. The airflow from the turbo is so large it swamps whatever volume you have before the head.

Air/water are complex and expensive, air/air does just fine in nearly all applications.
Bingo! KISS :D (keep it simple stupid) Air/water setups have distinct advantages in drag racing as you could use ice water to keep temps super low. When you are actually moving constantly, large IC's keep your IAT's very close to ambient and they don't require extra hoses, pumps, etc...

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Bingo! KISS :D (keep it simple stupid) Air/water setups have distinct advantages in drag racing as you could use ice water to keep temps super low. When you are actually moving constantly, large IC's keep your IAT's very close to ambient and they don't require extra hoses, pumps, etc...
Yep - my dad's 1800 hp mustang with a giant turbo running 44lbs of boost uses 50 lbs of ice per run. He has a Manitowoc cuber in the race trailer. I think for our relatively small turbos the air/air are just fine.

Bush Hopper

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
97 Eurovan, 2001 Jetta and a few other
water to air is good for guys who run a Stock looking OEM golf and refuse to modify the front bumper. There is no other way but Water to air or dual side mounts. Dual side mounts are a waste of money. Water to air is complicated for the average joe. For some, fixing the sink tap is to complicated, for others hydraulic systems are second nature.

You do not see anything for TDI specific in huge quantities. You may think the market is huge, but its not. Pretty much everything you get for TDI regarding performance is hand made in low quantities. One reasoning for the pricing.

Other reason why Water to air is not popular is because air to air is enough for most guys. Many TDI'er are cheap as hell. Most TDIers run their tdis as daily drivers, refusing to go to crazy on the car.

Many on here think it is crazy to spend 6-8,000 USD to mod a TDI properly to 180-200 whp. In the BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, its normal to spend 20-30 grand. properly done bmw m3 turbo kit cost 20-30 grand.

Are you willing to pay $1500 for a water to air setup? Hell 2.0T APR intercooler air to air cost $1500. people ***** about much lower prices.

Last edited:

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
The water to air is under $400 if you look on that site and you have to run 2 hoses and 2 wires

Bush Hopper

TDI
The water to air is under $400 if you look on that site and you have to run 2 hoses and 2 wires
Dream on, another person who just never has done it before. Let me know how it goes for $400. NO WAY you will get all the materials for $400. Think like $1000 at least.

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
For a drag racing situation (short bursts of high power) air to water has an advantage.

For a long uphill slog up a 6 percent grade for 5 miles while towing a trailer ... air to air is the best. An air to water intercooler would get heat soaked and become ineffective unless it had a water to air radiator larger than a normal air to air intercooler so that the water temperature could be kept down ...

You don't see transport trucks with air to water intercoolers, either. They ALL use large air-to-air intercoolers.

Air-to-water intercooler plus pump plus wiring plus controls plus the water to air radiator is a lot more cost (and weight and things to go wrong) than an air to air intercooler ...

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
Lalwlz, water is only good for short bursts of cooling.
And the money-to-cooling ratio is crazy (in a bad way).

TDI's do not run that hot ANYWAYS.
If yours runs hot, get a bigger intercooling and also check if you are running lean.

Another note is, your engine bay is complicated and cluttered as it is. Do you really want to make your engine bay worse for something that will not pay off enough?

Last edited:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Proper air-to-water IC systems for street applications are NEVER, EVER intended to be stagnant but rather to flow through another heat exchanger to ambient, where this HX could be placed in a more advantageous location or where packaging constraints preclude an optimal air-to-air HX.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
That photo is ONLY the air-to-water intercooler/manifold.

Not shown are the hoses with water to and from that manifold, and that water needs to be pumped, and it needs to be coming from (and pumped through) something else, i.e. another radiator to keep the water temperature down ...

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
That photo is ONLY the air-to-water intercooler/manifold.

Not shown are the hoses with water to and from that manifold, and that water needs to be pumped, and it needs to be coming from (and pumped through) something else, i.e. another radiator to keep the water temperature down ...
Exactly. No doubt can you get the actual air to water intercooler for $400 or even much less. But, that picture of the engine above with the custom intake manifold, plus the custom pipework alone is well over $400. Add the extra parts quoted above by GoFaster here, and we're pushing the $1000 envelope that Kasper was talking about.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
My sense is that although the AWIC has that brass fitting for water to flow to another heat exchanger AS IT'S SUPPOSED TO, there's nothing connected to it, or the picture is showing the setup at an incomplete state.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yeahhh, that's way more than $450 worth of stuff, and as others have pointed out, the picture doesn't even show its completed state.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
yes it does seem odd to me but i'll probably give it a try and see how it works.
So you asked the question just to be curious, not to actually utilize any of the advice huh? Got it.

Not one of the 10 members who replied agreed that it's a smart decision, but it's your money and your car as usual.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I don't think that an air-to-water intercooler is an appropriate choice for a TDI. It is more complex in operation and installation, costs more money, requires significant custom fabrication, and does not provide any actual benefits in a daily-driver or track-racer application. The only practical application that I can think of for an air-water intercooler would be where you want intake temps below ambient (which requires ice or refrigeration of the cooling loop)... think drag racing or maybe auto-cross.

But hey, if you want to try it... go for it!

Just my $0.02

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Technically, this is air-water-air, since the intake air is cooled by water, which is in turn cooled by ambient air. Save a step and stick with air-air. True air-water is used for boats, where the cooling loop is cooled by the surrounding body of water (like the engine's cooling system).

13mmwrench

TDI
tdi corrado and vrt corrado and 2000 golf tdi
i run water to air on 3 of my cars it has its place and a PROPER DESIGN DOES NOT GET HEAT SOAKED! so unless you have experience with both you might sound like an idiot air to air works very good on most application but try putting a good air to air setup on a corrado! my track car runs water to air and it works amazing! water to air and air to air both have their place

dieseleux

Théoricien -TDIClub Contributor
TDI
Jetta TDI 02
In cool region, Air/water have some good point.
FMIC are not good for milage on highway when weather are at -20c, timing rise, 6 to 8 degree are common (-1 to 2 in summer), with air/water intercooler, shut off the pump for higher IAT.

Dieseleux

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
the guy has it running on his race car and he likes it. no i'm not going to ignore the advice given by the members here.... ok well i kinda will since i'm probably going to try it. i just wasn't sure if people do have them but not many. i want to use it and see if it actually works, i want to try something new. if it doesn't work i can always put an air to air on it, for me and my situation this it easier and more cost effective. has anyone here actually tried one?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Air-water is great for tight applications... saw one on a Doka TDI conversion, but it wasn't working right, causing horrible heat-soak. Either the pump was dead, there was an air bubble in the system, or it was just too small to deal with the heat load.

The Shootist

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle GLS TDI
Uhhhumm! I will step in here if nobody minds.

I have an air to water inter-cooler that i have yet to install. It is essentially the larger, 600hp frozen boost unit. I have a 12v pump and a large heat exchanger to go with it.

I don't have anywhere near $1,000 in my system...hell I don't have $100 in my system. I bought the Inter-cooler off e-bay with a sniped bid for less than $75, my exchanger is a v6 Grand-Am(Pontiac) radiator, and I have a cheapo 18gpm bilge pump for a circulation pump.

I have carefully over time accumulated my parts, on the cheap, because I drive a Bug, and if you've never tried to work under the hood of a New Beetle, you've never seen tight spaces. Oh and did I mention that the inter-cooler was cheeeep!

Bush Hopper

TDI
the guy has it running on his race car and he likes it. no i'm not going to ignore the advice given by the members here.... ok well i kinda will since i'm probably going to try it. i just wasn't sure if people do have them but not many. i want to use it and see if it actually works, i want to try something new. if it doesn't work i can always put an air to air on it, for me and my situation this it easier and more cost effective. has anyone here actually tried one?
I already told you I have tried one. It cost me $1500. Yes it works, 100% for the purpose it was designed. It is super stealth. Make sure you got a big water reservoir. Key factor to make it efficient.

In racing applications Water to air has an advantage so your FMIC does not get heat socked when your right behind someones bumper.

Only reason why I would go water to air is to preserve the stock front end on the golf. FMIC does not fit on a GOLF. Requires a lot of work, and it will never look stock.

Last edited:

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
Uhhhumm! I will step in here if nobody minds.

I have an air to water inter-cooler that i have yet to install. It is essentially the larger, 600hp frozen boost unit. I have a 12v pump and a large heat exchanger to go with it.

I don't have anywhere near $1,000 in my system...hell I don't have $100 in my system. I bought the Inter-cooler off e-bay with a sniped bid for less than $75, my exchanger is a v6 Grand-Am(Pontiac) radiator, and I have a cheapo 18gpm bilge pump for a circulation pump.

I have carefully over time accumulated my parts, on the cheap, because I drive a Bug, and if you've never tried to work under the hood of a New Beetle, you've never seen tight spaces. Oh and did I mention that the inter-cooler was cheeeep!
that's what i was thinking of doing and maybe an extra few gallon reservior in the trunk that's plumbed in to prevent heat soak.

how hot does an Air to air cooler get, like can i put my hand on one right after you've been driving it really hard for say 15min or so?