Excessive glow plug light

Diesel Freak

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 02, Gal Blue
Hey People!

Its been awhile since i've posted- so here i am, and with a question no less!

I recently moved to Arizona- a location @ 5300 feet of elevatation (MSL for the aviation folks:). I moved from Washington state where the weather was much cooler. Anyway my question is now that i am here in Arizona where it is much hotter (ambient) temperatures outside the first few times i start my car weather it is the afternoon (hot)or morning (cooler than the afternoon at least) the glow plug light stays on for 4 to 5 seconds. In Washington, even on the coolest days the glow plug light would turn off almost immediately after i clicked the key to the glow plug position. The check engine light is not on- and my car seems to be running normally. Power noticably down but only because of the elevation and extreamly high density altitudes ( in excess of 7000 ft sometimes) at this location. Would the the elevation and less density of oxygen cause the ECU to heat up the glow plugs longer than if i were at sea level? This is the longest my glow plug light has ever stayed lit in the 15000+ miles i have owned the vehicle. BTW it is a 2002 jetta tdi 5 sp with a piper x panel and various EGR mods that should have absolutely nothing to do with the glow pulg system-

Any inputs would be great! Cuz i sure am confused.

Diesel Freak

DareDiesel

Veteran Member
Diesel Freak,

This has been covered in other threads in greater depth.

Compressing air generates heat. The higher the density the greater the heat. Because the TDI runs on auto-ignition the air in the cylinder must reach the right temperature before the fuel will burn.

Since you are now at a higher altitude the air reaching your cylinder is less dense and when compressed isn't as hot. Your car knows this and is compensating by adding external heat via the glow plugs.

So everything is operating normally and as expected. Enjoy!