For Sale 2000 and 2003 Golf plus free Subaru

travman

TDI
2000 Golf
For Sale….2000 and 2003 Golf TDI and 2000 Subaru Outback Indianapolis area.

It’s time to thin the herd, wife can’t drive manual and the outback is a little ratty, going to get her a Prius V for her long commute and I will be stuck with the Van….not thrilled, but makes the most sense. I work from home anyway so I don’t get much use out of the Golfs.

The Golfs….

Red 2000 4 door….my first love.
Bought this off a bank lot (repo) back in 06 didn't know at the time what I was getting into, don’t remember what the first issue was, but I did a search on the web for some info and found Fred's…. been hooked ever since. Thanks everyone for the hours of reading and money saved…. I guess this is goodbye :(
She has 196,000 and prrrrs like a kitty. Smooth down the road and peppy…fires off and runs the second you turn the key. It started life as an auto but I did the swap at 130,000 so it’s a 5 speed now. Mechanically it is very sound with a few minor exceptions. No rust to speak of, but has a bad sunburn (clear coat failing) Needs a timing belt ASAP (part of the reason I’m selling)

Good…
-Runs Great
-New battery
-Diesel Geek Short Shift Kit
-Aluminum Skid plate
-11 mm pump
-just did a full seal kit on the injection pump and installed new fuel filter
-6 disk CD changer in trunk (is that a good thing?)

Needs/Broken
-Timing Belt needs replaced SOON! Changed last at 110,000.
-condenser fan
-fuel leak when you fill the tank…no idea what it is, I removed the rear seat and inspected and see no evidence I have just been putting 12 gallons in and not topping off.
-maybe related….air is getting in the fuel line, I thought it was the pump so I did the full seal replacement, but it persisted, changed some hoses with clear so I could monitor…runs great unless it sits for a while then the air can have an issue on startup.
-Cabin Temp control knob doesn’t work (I’ve been using a hose clamp in the summer to block heat, I think it’s an easy fix)
-Shocks/struts (preference…. I was fine with them)
-heated mirrors don’t work
-only have one key (no fob) bank only had one made after repo back in 06 and I never got another.
-radio faceplate is busted (works fine, but the buttons are gone so you have to know where to push)
-cruise control switch is broken (I was too cheap to buy a new one so I hacked it and installed an auxiliary switch to set the cruise…works great, but may be a little low brow for you)
-Im sure there are many other minor things, but you get the idea, through the years I have been lazy and did the minimum on some things, never compromised or took short cuts on the drivetrain, but creature comforts were not always addressed due to time constraints…i.e. heat control…I just learned to live with it.
----All in all it’s a great, dependable car that needs to be loved again to bring her back to par.
Asking Price……$3500.00

Silver 2003 2 door base model…near perfection….163,000…also a manual.

I bought this one 4 years ago on a unique opportunity since I liked the 2000 so much. It has not been driven much since I bought it as I drove the 03 until just recently which I parked due to needing a timing belt.
Even though I have owned it for 4 years I am going to call it a one owner. I still have contact with the original owner, he works with my wife and took impeccable care of it…still asks about her to this day (the car, not my wife). Good or bad he did all the maintenance by the book at the stealer including oil changes (not real mechanically inclined). IF you want to know the maintenance history on it just look up the maintenance schedule and you will have your answer. He would still own it if the clutch pedal hadn’t stuck to the floor one day when he was driving it. Scared the crap out of him, so he took it to the dealer and they couldn't replicate it. He was too scared to drive it any longer and didn’t trust the dealer to fix it before they resold to an unsuspecting buyer, so he sold it to me for a good deal on the promise that I would fix it before I drove it or resold it. Like everything else, I just did a quick search on TDI club and found the answer in a couple minutes that the dealer couldn’t find...Replaced the master and slave on the clutch….bled the brakes and not a problem since….thanks again guys (and gals)

The Good…
Most of all….I haven’t tinkered with it….it’s absolutely all original…untouched…still has the dirt on the engine it rolled off the line with…(may not be good if you like a clean engine!) it all works as it should, I can’t think of anything wrong with it functionally.
No rust No failing clear coat.
Tires…Michelin 75% (a little old though)
New Battery

The Bad…
Only thing I can think of is the cracked windshield…its runs almost all way across up high so I don’t really notice it.
Oh…and the head liner is just starting to sag a bit in one spot.
It was in a minor front end collision so it got a new front bumper, headlight and passenger side quarter…..airbags did not deploy.
Asking Price $6500.00 I know it’s a bit high, but considering its condition, I feel it’s a fair price.

2000 Subaru Outback… 182,000….FREE!!! (If you pay asking price for both Golfs otherwise $1500.00)

Also a near one owner…bought it 2 years ago from my wife’s boss..(Are you picking up a pattern?) Needed something for her to drive in the winter to get down a long driveway. She loves it, but I have a snow thrower for the tractor now so it isn’t really needed as much, harder to maneuver the kids in and out of car seats than the van.
Again we were only driving it in the winter, and when I went to knock the dust off in December for her to drive this year I decided to replace the rotors and pads all the way around. When I went to do so I found the front driver side wheel bearing and ball joint was bad. (Changed passenger side ball joint last year) By the time I got it all done and ready to roll again it was the middle of Jan, and it hasn’t been nearly as snowy this year, so she is still driving the van every day.
It runs great, but has some rust and a big dent on the F.R. quarter from the POs daughter running it into the garage door jam. It needs a head gasket replacement on both sides. Again, we only drove it in the winter so it wasn’t much of an issue. If you run the AC (which worked last time I tried it) in the heat of summer you can smell the sweet smell of antifreeze burning on the block. It’s an external leak, there has never been water in the oil.
I never put the rear rotors and pads on….I have them NIB, but never installed.
The tires are practically new though they are snow tires and will wear out quickly if you choose to drive her on hot pavement.
It also needs an alignment since I had the front end all tore apart.
I’m just north of Indianapolis IN (Westfield)…..you can have all three for 10K CASH No personal checks…don’t ask. I will also throw in VAG-COM about 6 new Mann oil filters and full set of Metalnerd timing belt tools, a new belt tensioner and a German made clutched alternator pulley.
This is a great deal so no low ball offers, I’m not antsy to sell… I would prefer to sell them all in one fell swoop.
Thanks for reading all that!

Last edited:

travman

TDI
2000 Golf
Price Drop

$6K for Silver 2003
$3K for Red 2000
$1.5K for Outback
9K takes all if you want them all...willing to split.
Prices are firm....for now.

travman

TDI
2000 Golf
Price Drop

$5500 for Silver 2003
$2500 for Red 2000
$1000 for Outback

All 3 for $8500

Outback has new Subaru Factory reman transmission from Jiffy Lube draining the "oil" from the wrong pan.

2000 Golf has VR6 clutch and solid flywheel. Replaced at 155000.

Again...Vag Com, Timing Belt Tools included.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
Interested in the Outback.

I can come down with a trailer for that one ; if we can get together on the price.

How rusty are the rear quarter panels ?

Last edited:

travman

TDI
2000 Golf
Price if firm for now...though you will have to wait a bit. My wife got rear-ended in the van yesterday so she is driving the Subaru at the moment. I will PM you when the smoke settles and see if you are still interested when it is freed back up, Sorry about this....

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
No worries. Don't be sorry.

Just be thankful that everybody is OK and no person was injured.

travman

TDI
2000 Golf
Change of Plans

My apologies but since the accident with the van we are going to have to cancel this sale for now. We are going to take the cash option from the insurance and I am going to fix the van myself. That will take a bit so we still need the 03 golf and the Subaru until the van is back on the road. The 00 golf is still for sale, though I have an offer on that locally, if that falls through I will re-post by itself later.
Thanks for the kind words and concern about the wreck.
If anyone has a gently used silver 05-07 Honda odyssey trunk door and bumper cover I'm in the market....
Also....am I supposed to do something to remove this thread or just let it ride?

kerrige

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I am very interested in the red car. I am moving to Kentucky in April and need to fly out and look for an apartment and other things. I would love to come buy it from you then. I am looking at the list of gurus in the area to get the TB job done.