Advice on Current WVO set up and future mods

justin_eblack

TDI
Hey all,

Probably loved the idea of conversion and running on WVO too much.

Either way. Got my 2002 Jetta converted, by a friend. His 50th Conversion.

Have been running for 2000k.

Here's what i'm running and what i'm doing.

-2 tank (non-heated) (main stock fuel tank as Veggie tank) small diesel tank in the trunk.
-Coolant Heated Filter - Eckes Style with flat plate heat exchanger (http://www.biotuning.co.uk/ShopFilters.htm) with foam insulator on screw on filter body
-six port Pollock valve

Filtering... guide from biotuning.com (http://www.biotuning.co.uk/downloads/filterguide_v1.pdf)

-Pour WVO (no-water) through 2 filters... one inside the other... stage 1 filter... jeans sewed at bottom... then through 5 micron filter.

-Then straight into the tank....

I'm probably making people cringe ...

I've done about 2000k on it so far... but i'm gonna run diesel till i make some modifications...

Here's what i'm gonna do now that i have read more....

-Take out the pollak valve and replace with 2 Three Port Switchover Valves
-Take out the egr.
-Add 10% diesel to 90% full tank.
-fuel temperature resistor modification
-EGT Gauge install
-Try to only to use WVO on highway driving
-Change engine oil every 5K
-Change WVO fuel filter every 10K.
-Diesel Purge treatment every 10K.

Would love some feedback... do you think i'd be safe with these mods... do you think i need them all or more.. and any general advice.

Thanks in advance.

-Justin

97BlackTD

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta TDi PD
Sounds like you're doing everything right.
I've run two tank heated system in 97 jetta and now just unheated one tank in my 2005 jetta. I am blending now. No mods to the car. Never had a problem in four years of using veggie. You have to do something dumb to cause a bad problem. I don't blend when temps get below 5-10C. My pollack valve broke and sprayed oil in the engine compartment. I had the valve mounted on the engine - too much vibration. Moved a new one to the rad bracket and it was fine. I use about 200 -300 ltrs of oil each year. The injector pump went on my old 97 but it had 400,000km when it quit, probably nothing to do with the oil.
In the warm weather the oil is pretty fool proof. When it gets cold in the winter be careful to preheat and perg.
Have fun, enjoy the savings!

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
97' Passat (1Z), 02' Golf
Hey all,
Probably loved the idea of conversion and running on WVO too much.
Either way. Got my 2002 Jetta converted, by a friend. His 50th Conversion.
Have been running for 2000k.
Here's what i'm running and what i'm doing.
-2 tank (non-heated) (main stock fuel tank as Veggie tank) small diesel tank in the trunk.
-Coolant Heated Filter - Eckes Style with flat plate heat exchanger (http://www.biotuning.co.uk/ShopFilters.htm) with foam insulator on screw on filter body
-six port Pollock valve
Filtering... guide from biotuning.com (http://www.biotuning.co.uk/downloads/filterguide_v1.pdf)
-Pour WVO (no-water) through 2 filters... one inside the other... stage 1 filter... jeans sewed at bottom... then through 5 micron filter.
-Then straight into the tank....
I'm probably making people cringe ...
I've done about 2000k on it so far... but i'm gonna run diesel till i make some modifications...
Here's what i'm gonna do now that i have read more....
-Take out the pollak valve and replace with 2 Three Port Switchover Valves
-Take out the egr.
-Add 10% diesel to 90% full tank.
-fuel temperature resistor modification
-EGT Gauge install
-Try to only to use WVO on highway driving
-Change engine oil every 5K
-Change WVO fuel filter every 10K.
-Diesel Purge treatment every 10K.
Would love some feedback... do you think i'd be safe with these mods... do you think i need them all or more.. and any general advice.
Thanks in advance.
-Justin
Why did you post here and then start a new thread?

Last edited:

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
More frequent oil changes are definitely a good idea.

I don't believe adding 10% diesel is at all necessary, though it can't hurt. I never did fuel temp resistor modification, a diesel purge or added an EGT gauge. A fuel temeprature gauge would be a very good idea.

You do not have to confine your WVO use to the highway. Prolonged idling may not be a good idea, but normal driving is fine.

Changing the WVO filter every 10K is totally unneccessary - if you are clogging the filter that fast, you are not filtering well enough. I usually go 40K (miles) or more, and change the filter when it starts to clog. If the engine is losing power, you just switch to diesel and change the filter when you get the chance.

All just my opinion, but it has worked for me.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
ARRRRGH

Phil, this would have been the right thread for that response. The other thread is supposed to be locked but it has been re-opened for people to answer a poll.

Now the problem. I tried moving your post from that thread to this one. In the process, instead of moving the post here, it vanished into thin air. No idea whether it's because I pressed the wrong button (very possible) or the software screwed up (also possible).

If you are wondering where your post went, there's your answer. Go ahead and re-type it the best you can.

Last edited:

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
Sorry about posting on the other. Seems the post re-appeared. You've got good karma.