Cv shaft bolts

wkobe

Veteran Member
04 jetta bew 5 speed what size are the cv shaft flange bolts those tripple square bolts and the end nut

thanks wayne

vflflyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI 1.9L w/Manual Trans.
I read somewhere on here that O'reilly auto had the 12 point tool set for these bolts! Does anyone know the part number? I was hoping to do my inner cv boot this weekend.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Bentley Manual saids they are TTY and need to be replaced
Yes, but it's almost never done on this side of the Atlantic... in many decades of VW ownership, the only time those bolts have ever been replaced on any of my cars was when I brought my own bolts to the mechanic... Now, in Germany: if the mechanic doesn't replace both the CV-joint bolts AND the plates that go under them, he's likely to get fired...

Make sure you politely(?) hammer the triple-square bit into the socket head of those bolts... that might help prevent them stripping out on you... I'd also go a little tighter than 30 Ft*Lbs... (tighten in a criss-cross pattern...)

Yuri

vflflyer

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, but it's almost never done on this side of the Atlantic... in many decades of VW ownership, the only time those bolts have ever been replaced on any of my cars was when I brought my own bolts to the mechanic... Now, in Germany: if the mechanic doesn't replace both the CV-joint bolts AND the plates that go under them, he's likely to get fired...

Make sure you politely(?) hammer the triple-square bit into the socket head of those bolts... that might help prevent them stripping out on you... I'd also go a little tighter than 30 Ft*Lbs... (tighten in a criss-cross pattern...)

Yuri
Thanks for your input and advise! I was wondering if I was suppose to tighten in a criss-cross pattern or not.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Bentley Manual saids they are TTY and need to be replaced
This is something the Bentley manual appears to be inconsistent on. My Bentley manual makes no mention of replacing the 8 mm tripple square inner CV joint bolts in the text, nor on the parts diagram. I have reused mine two times on one side and three times on the other. No issues at all, but I think next time I may replace them.

I do not believe the Bentley manual I have for my mother's 2000 Jetta TDI mentions relplacing them either.

--Nate

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I've never seen any credible reference to them being TTY bolts except in this forum.

However, if you insist on over-torquing them, you will certainly need to replace them, and possibly prior to any planned maintenance.

In general, a TTY bolt has a torque value and then an additional degree turn after the torque value is reached. The torque value will seat the bolt, and then the additional turn provides the stretch. Once stretched, a TTY bolt cannot be reused.

Axle nuts can be reused, but VW will disavow you if you do. It is more a corporate liability thing than a nut that might come loose thing. I've never heard of anyone's axle nuts coming loose when properly torqued. Some people insist on using locktite (red) on them, however. But they're not expensive, so if you want to replace them every time, the local parts guys will be very happy to keep selling them to you.

vflflyer

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you think you can use a T40 instead of the serrated wrench for these bolts as I am having a hard time finding this tool locally? I am trying to get everything I need before the weekend.

The Bentley manual says replace number 14, but I can't seem to find the degree of turn after the specified torque of 30 ft lbs.

Last edited:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
No additional turn past 30 Ft*Lbs - I just add a little "extra"... (I guess I'm insecure...)

You should be able to find triple-square (XZN) bits at most Auto-Zones (Lisle brand???) or perhaps a better-stocked Sears... Maybe even Harbor-Freight... I wouldn't mangle the boltheads with a Torx driver... they tend to strip even when you use the proper tool...

Yuri