Cv bolts backing out helppppp

the.tdi.kid

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
alright guys as the title says, the cv bolts keep backing out on the drivers side. this is not the first time. last time this happened, the cv came around and popped a hole in the tranny. luckily i caught it this time before that happened again. what is going on and why does this keep happening? help is much needed, otherwise I'm gonna be forced to leave the tdi world :eek:

gquenstedt

Veteran Member
TDI
'06, '03 x 2, '00
Did you use all new bolts? Obviously you lost the ones in there but just making sure you didn't reuse some you had. Did you use a torque wrench to tighten them?

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Bentley says 30 ft lbs.

do you still have the lock plate installed?

The manual IS important you should not attempt repairs unless you have all the info you need.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
you should have 3 lock plates.

Last edited:

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
My guess you got a new drive shaft, did not install the balancing donut, have a cheap aftermarket shaft that is out of balance, and the combination of those factors is vibrating the bolts loose...

Solution new OEM shaft with OEM balancing donut!

Niner

duplicate account, banned
My guess you got a new drive shaft, did not install the balancing donut, have a cheap aftermarket shaft that is out of balance, and the combination of those factors is vibrating the bolts loose...

Solution new OEM shaft with OEM balancing donut!

/\ this... you can't just swap out C.R.A.P. parts on a tdi.