Ultimate Diesel For Luxury VW

RED

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI 4dr GOLF 6sp MAN
" Volkswagen's D1 luxury saloon will be the first mainstream production model to feature a V10 diesel under the bonnet, it has been confirmed.
A 5.0-litre oil-burner will be optional when the car goes on sale in Germany next year and here in 2002. VW diesel development boss Dr Jens Hadler said: "This is the pinnacle of 25 years of refining diesel engines. It is the most advanced oil-burner ever." The 0-60mph sprint time should be 5.5 seconds and the top speed 155mph." http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/DougR8/front_flash_ie.html

S

SkyPup

Yikes, that is some awesome equipment. Apparently the V-10 TDI may be the first new TDI to make it over to North America, since you can always install one in a heavy SUV or Pickup with less worry about emissions or mileage, both of which a V-10 TDI will be better than any competition, even with crappy fuel supply.

EnviroMan

Veteran Member
I would love to see the D1 and the VW SUV make it with the V10 TDI. I think pricing is likely to be outrageous and these vehicles will be the VW showplace. I read that the pricing of the D1 could be about $70K (Audi A8 territory).

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
Even if that car never makes it over here, it will have a ripple effect on the auto industry. If it does make it over here, but costs $80k, then so what? It will change the mind of the American consumer about Diesels. When a car that fast also gets 30mpg, eyes will open.