Busted rear upper camber adjuster on JSW

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
This is the latest chapter in the continuing saga of a failed dealer attempt at alignment on my '13 JSW. Dealer tech tried to adjust left rear camber which was borderline out of spec at about -2 degrees. Claims it's rusted up and can't be adjusted, but the "after" printout shows the tech moved it the wrong way, to almost -4 degrees.

After liberal applications of penetrating oil to the eccentric adjuster bolt and nut for a couple weeks since, I got under the car to see if the bolt was free. With a mere less than a foot long 1/2 inch ratchet this 66 year old lady was able to loosen both the nut and eccentric bolt. The eccentric bolt turns easily but the camber doesn't seem to change, can feel it trying to catch on something once and a while but nothing changes. The nut that locks the eccentric bolt that adjusts the camber looks like it's been impacted with an impact, and it wasn't my impact wrench.

I'm guessing that the tech loosened the nut with an impact and because it was rusted the nut and eccentric bolt turned together and bumped the camber to maximum negative, hogging out the bushing the eccentric bolt runs through to the point that the bolt just spins in there and has no effect on camber adjustments.

Any suggestions? TIA!

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Update and "bump"...

Tried again today, got the camber to move and set it back to middle of the adjustment range. Gonna drive it awhile and see if the adjustment holds being as how the VW tech may have hogged out the bushing the eccentric camber adjusting bolt turns in. If the adjustment holds, gonna take it to a non-VW dealer shop to get the alignment finished.