DEF leak @ injector under hood, NO START -2015 Jetta

dx1001

TDI
2003 jetta
Hello - This seems to be not that uncommon. DEF fluid is leaking near turbo on friend's 2015 Jetta. I didn't think it was DEF at first because I thought it was injected under car like on other years. I was wrong after telling owner it was definitely not DEF.
DEF tank is full but still warning that NO START will occur in 15 miles now (goes 15 then 600...) It was at 35 and would not start but I reset codes with generic OBD scanner and it started. DEF warning went off, then came back on and rather than 35m, it is now 15 to no start.
Could it be that injector is not injecting and causing pressure at the fitting, causing leak??? Can I test injector with ohm meter?
BTW -DEF had been contaminated with antifreeze a while back. Might that have caused injector to clog? (I posted about the antifreeze a couple weeks ago).
Any help appreciated.
And I was surprised that I was able to get car to start with $20 OBD scanner. I will post in OBD area in hopes that might help somebody prevent a tow someday.
Thanks! DX

Pic of Urea crystals. The larger accumulation was cleaned off with water. This is just 20mi worth.

Two TDI's -Friends '15 (going back to VW against my advice)
and his old '03 (now my daily driver)

tried to fix pic but you must open in new tab for some reason

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Yes, sounds like the injector failed. Good news is this is covered under the new car warranty, and will be covered under the emissions fix warranty.

-J

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Sounds like it needs to go in for service. A failed DEF injector will definitely cause a no-start condition after the countdown reaches zero miles.

dx1001

TDI
2003 jetta
Thanks for the help. After first reset with OBD scanner, DEF light went off, then came back on with 15 mi warning. I reset again, then unplugged the injector hoping to find a way to test with voltmeter (which I didn't do for fear of the voltmeter voltage damaging unit -not likely, but???). Started car with injector unplugged and immediately got DEF injector open circuit code. Then plugged back in, reset again, started... No DEF warning light, No CEL, nothing at all. A day later and owner is reporting no warnings or problems at all so, looks like it's good. Seems weird to me that causing major trouble code in DEF system and resetting would cause system to reset itself but it worked for some reason that I don't understand but we saved a tow and service call.
QUESTION: Has VW extended emission system warranty? 2015 Jetta with 92K miles.
Thanks again and I hope this info might help somebody down the road.
DX

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Likely no coverage on most parts of the emissions system. They're super delicate and there's only one fix for them.

Also surprised you got the car started! What tool? Recently tried re-writing stock files onto cars to reset, VCDS etc, and had no luck. Can totally over-write the ECU with delete tunes in a no-start situation to make it drive-able, but that's of course for off road use.

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Actually, the new warranty that comes with the "fix" covers all emissions systems and related components. Take car to dealer for the ECU flash, then have them fix the leaking injector. Or, I have a spare that I'm not using if they're interested. Has 25k miles on it.

ford50

TDI
98 beetle
I have a 2015 beetle tdi ea288 engine 6 speed manual with 36000 miles leaking def injector all white looking just started...no codes came up yet...my question is can you just remove leaking injector and replace with new one and plug everything back in and away U go,or is it more complicated like flashing computer and/or other crap has to be done if you replace def injector...thanks