99.5 long crank when hot... Fixed for about 8 bucks!

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
This particular issue cannot apply to a 2002 ALH unless someone downgraded the car to a 99.5 ECU, which would take quite a bit of work, and doesn't make any sense.

98 and 99 New Beetles, and 99.5 Jettas and Golfs, are the only affected cars in North America. If you're having long cranking while hot on a 2002, you've got something else wrong.

TDI
2002 Golf GLS
Very strange. I wonder what the problem is then. I have changed the starter in the last year with OEM starter, alternator was also changed. Battery isn't new, but have tested it and it is as good as it should be. Changed the CTS with OEM. Checked all glow plugs and they are running correct resistance. One thing I did notice is when i checked the ECU info with a code reader, the ECU was reporting 46*F when it was well below freezing outside (the car had been sitting for 8-10 hours in this temperature). No codes are being thrown. I spoke to my VW guy, and he said he had this problem with an 01 ALH in which he did the Hamman mod which fixed it, didn't have any other issues with it. I too think there must be something else going on, since the affected models are the 99.5, but I a) feel like I've exhausted my realistic options; and b) I haven't the money to replace the entire guts of the car to figure out what might be causing this problem. But unplugging the coolant sensor has been my solution for the last week or so. I will take your advice Vince Waldon and call the dealer to see if they have any insight. Thanks all for the quick reply. This is a very annoying problem, but I appreciate everyone's help.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
I will take your advice Vince Waldon and call the dealer to see if they have any insight. Thanks all for the quick reply. This is a very annoying problem, but I appreciate everyone's help.
Just to be clear... my thinking wasn't so much that the dealer would be able to help fix your particular problem... moreso that they could clarify for you if the hot-start fix applied to your specific VIN. :)

Based on posts above it sounds like my hunch was right and something else must be going on for you.

My suggestion would be to start a new thread, since your problem is different than the OP, and see if the hive mind can help. My guess is that you won't be the first ALH owner with this issue... and you've got a good opening clue in terms of pulling the CTS working around the problem.

Pulling the CTS puts the car into very different maps... since it's so different than normal operation... so it changes a bunch of engine parameters all at once. My first thought would be... how's your timing?

But that's a discussion for a new thread, methinks. :) :)

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
The dealer won't know what the hot start fix is, it was never a TSB or a recall.

TDI
2002 Golf GLS
My first thought would be... how's your timing?
That is something I haven't checked yet but need to look in to.

The dealer had never heard of this issue, as you all presumed, which I find a little strange. I would have thought that as a dealer they would (since this problem seems to be widespread) have at least heard of or encountered it a few times. Anyways, I will get on checking the timing and also start a new thread. Thanks again!

RaysirX

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
I did this mod several years ago with success on my 99.5
However i noticed i would burn out a glow plug every 6 months or so.
I eventually got a malone tune which fixed the problem

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Phew, was worried this mod was going to put us out of business, glad to hear you're enjoying the tune :). If your timing is fine and everything else checks out throwing a little more fuel at it for warm starts isn't the end of the world and will help. Some PDs have warm start issues as well, not a really common request on 01-03 but still do it regularly.

We're located in BC and I could hook you up with a tool rental if you're interested silverbullet, tune runs $99 and the dealer will probably want that much for a smile and a nod.