split-second stalling of ALH engine

miltoncf

Spammer
TDI
ALH jetta wagon
Hello,

I have a 2003 ALH engine, and sometimes when idling it will stall for a split second, but after skipping a beat will pick up where it left off. What might be causing this? And when cruising the tachometer will dip occassionally by about 100 rpm.

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
Hello,

I have a 2003 ALH engine, and sometimes when idling it will stall for a split second, but after skipping a beat will pick up where it left off. What might be causing this? And when cruising the tachometer will dip occassionally by about 100 rpm.
Have you changed relay 109? The original ones were subject to failures and sometimes they were intermittent.

Dave

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Hello,

Dirty Injectors?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Relay 109 is a great thought, although I'd expect it to intermittent all the time, not just at idle. Well worth checking out, though.

Another possibility for a random skip might be a crank position sensor on its way out... or the wiring therein. Again, would expect this to be a problem throughout the range as opposed to just at idle.

miltoncf

Spammer
TDI
ALH jetta wagon
So of all the suggestions, a wiring problem looks likely, esp. as rabbits had made a nest in the lining under the hood, and chewed out a hole in order to slip in-between.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Damn! Rabbits taking up residence is a new one to me! I've seen loads of mouse damage!

Does the CEL come on when the engine is acting up?

miltoncf

Spammer
TDI
ALH jetta wagon
Damn! Rabbits taking up residence is a new one to me! I've seen loads of mouse damage!

Does the CEL come on when the engine is acting up?
The stalling is too quick & infrequent to trigger a light; nor do the
temporary dips despite being less quick & more frequent.

The insulation has a bigger hole than the biggest kangaroo rat would need, and I've seen desert hares jump up into the engine compartments of other cars on cold days.

ytk

TDI
MK3
Can you pleas keep us updated about the solution?
I also seem to have a similar issue, both on idling and an occasional "hiccup" when speeding up, non of them is constant and sometimes it doesn't happen at all, no warning lights or codes.
Thought it to be air in the fuel system but not sure any more.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Had a similar issue with my 96 Passat wagon. Engine would skip a beat, tach would drop, then engine would go right back to normal running speed. Slowly got worse over time. Cause was a bad ignition switch. My wagon is now on it's third ignition switch.