clutch questions

afss

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 220k km
there is a chance that the clutch may be cooked in my jetta. Took a friend out to teach them stick and while i was paying more attention to them working the clutch and the gas for 3 starts i neglected to notice that they were in 3rd, not first.... so there is a chance that the clutch is just overheated and will be ok once it cools down.

Having said that, if its not, what is an average cost to have a clutch replaced? what is an average cost for a replacement clutch and where are good places to get one. Also how hard/much time is involved in replacing one yourself and are there any special tools needed. I have replaced one clutch on another car in the past.

99.5 TDI

thanks

sportsguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle DSG TDI
Can't tell you much other than I ran into the exact same situation with my wife about a year ago. I could smell burnt clutch for days afterwards...LOL

Still fine today *knocks wood*.

You may consider looking into an upgraded clutch, too, if a replacement is in your future. if you're interested in doing power modifications like nozzles and a computer reprogramming, the higher spec clutch will be just the thing you'll need to handle the xtra power.

I'm sure others will jump in here with better details, but I've got it in my head to budget about $1,000 for the parts and install of the new clutch assembly. Naturally, this would be paying someone else to do the work.

I know a gent who has done clutch swaps in his garage, but I personally would take the car to the shop for that work, just to be sure. Wiper transmissions I'll fool with - regular tranny's, well, that's best left to someone who knows what they're really doing (ie: not me). ;)

afss

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 220k km
well i called around to a number of different places for rought estimates and surprisingly the vw dealership in truro was the cheapest by between 200-460 before taxes and say they can get it done tomorrow.... shocked the heck out of me as i am used to dealers being way way way more.
scott

sportsguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle DSG TDI
Scott - double check with them that they are using all new bolts, springs, etc. They should be, but man, that sounds pretty cheap (the low end, anyway).

...then again, for a factory replacement...

afss

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 220k km
yeah all new everything.

actually when they got it apart they found out it needed a flywheel too as the one in it was near shot. they could have tried to stiff me with a vw one at near 1000 from what they told me. instead, with out me asking, they shoped around for aftermarket and found an entire clutch and flywheel assembly that they tell me they gave to me at cost at 670 bucks. 300 to install everything, so final was 1100 bucks. thats a bit higher than a few of the other places were before a flywheel got tacked on. its more than i wanted to spend but all in all i'm happy.

gotta say that i really like the parts and service at the truro vw... not so impresed with the sales while i was shoping for a car, but parts and service is great.

jims had suggested that the flywheel would probably need to be done when i called for a quote. they were a bit more than what i ended up paying, probably would have used them however i use the car for work and needed it fixed faster than they could as they were booked up.

Snide

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
$1,100 isn't cheap at all. That's one of the most expensive clutch jobs I've heard of. I'm including the fact that you needed a new flywheel.

afss

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 220k km
i called atleast 6 places and they were all near or above that before the flywheel was tacked on. cheapest i could find a clutch kit without the flywheel was around 600 and was being ball parked 3-400 for labour. add taxes to that and you are at 1025-1140 before the flywheel. maybe cheaper in halifax area, but i called shops in pictou county and colchester as i live in one and work in the other.

Tuzlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Platinum Grey Jetta
afss said:
i called atleast 6 places and they were all near or above that before the flywheel was tacked on. cheapest i could find a clutch kit without the flywheel was around 600 and was being ball parked 3-400 for labour. add taxes to that and you are at 1025-1140 before the flywheel. maybe cheaper in halifax area, but i called shops in pictou county and colchester as i live in one and work in the other.
I cant see you gettin one done cheaper than that. I had a clutch replaced in my mustang in `86 and that cost me around 450 back then.

Snide

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
afss said:
You bought a OEM TDI clutch for which they charge twice as much as a VR6 clutch, which is better. The dual mass flywheel you had to replace costs about the same as a G60 flywheel, so there is no real gain there. However; there are at least 2 places in the HRM that only work on VW's that charge no more than $50/hr for labor. I had a clutch done a few years back and it took my guy 6 hours.

I'm not trying to be an arse here, was just trying to make people aware that you can get a better clutch setup for less money.

Kspeedy

TDI
Beetle 1999 Red
$1,100 is not that bad. The dealer out here wanted that minus the flyweel, and when asked said the flyweel stock flyweel was $1000. I'm replacing mine with the G60 upgrade myself and the parts are about $400, the dual mass was alittle more than that. Labor is not cheap even if you are not at the dealer.

Snide

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
I just picked up a lightened G60 flywheel for $160! I'm pretty sure I can get the 228mm Sachs VR6 kit for as little as $250! I might put this in before I even need it!

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
HotVDub said:
I might put this in before I even need it!
That would be very wise, and the proper time to do it :)

Would you mind posting the sources you used for future reference? I think with the trailer towing my dad does he's going to wear his out sooner or later.

Dobeman

Hi
Just did mine less than 10k ago
VR6 Clutch disc pressure plate and throught out bearing sourced from local performance shop
G60 Flywheel from the dealer
Total came to like 1600$ using local dealer for the labor
Including taxes

the dual mass flywheel which died in mine by itself was like 1000$ from the dealer

Hope this helps

Fyrman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black
HotVDub said:
I just picked up a lightened G60 flywheel for $160! I'm pretty sure I can get the 228mm Sachs VR6 kit for as little as $250! I might put this in before I even need it!
Nice grab Snide. You'll have to let us know how much difference there is once it's in. That, and you've been a little scarce lately... lots of cold beer here as a rule!

Snide

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
I'm going to do the exact same thing as Dobeman, except I'll be doing it for less than half the price - using all brand new parts, as he did.

Jeff: School + Work = No time for anything. Excuses, excuses - I know. I'll come around sometime soon.

Snide

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
Slave2school said:
That would be very wise, and the proper time to do it :)

Would you mind posting the sources you used for future reference? I think with the trailer towing my dad does he's going to wear his out sooner or later.
Unfortunatly my sources are my own guys that I get some of my parts from. Not people who advertise or have websites. The Flywheel was a one time deal and kinda fell into my lap. Not something I can get for that price regularly.

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
Aww too bad oh well I'm sure when the time comes he'll be able to find a better deal than the "dealer" can offer.

skenny

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I'm interested to hear the clatter that people report with the lightened flywheel. I think I may be looking for a clutch solution come spring ;)

Snide

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
Slave2school said:
Aww too bad oh well I'm sure when the time comes he'll be able to find a better deal than the "dealer" can offer.

I can order the clutch kit for him, that's no problem at all. I just can't give you names and numbers, that's all.

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
Ah ok sweet I'll file that away :) He tries to be easy on it but you have to slip the clutch a bit more than usual with 2000lbs behind you.

Snide

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
pghPAtdi said:
I bought everything for 399 (usd) shipped. OEM G60 FW and all trans mount stretch bolts from 1stvwpart. Clutch kit from this place: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Corrado-Golf-Jetta-Passat-VR6-SACHS-VW-Clutch-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33730QQihZ014QQitemZ330045511278QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW I got this one: K7003802
I can get one here in Canada for about the same money, as I'm guessing that shipping to Canada would be about $40-60 for one of those.

I'm not in any rush. My clutch is still good. Just picking stuff up as I can get it cheap.

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
Oops, I thought you meant that you could get just the clutch kit (PP,disk,bearing) for 250.
My clutch kit was 150
The FW and all bolts was 249 = 400

Anyway, up for a pint in the next two weeks?

dave

Snide

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
pghPAtdi said:
Oops, I thought you meant that you could get just the clutch kit (PP,disk,bearing) for 250.
My clutch kit was 150
The FW and all bolts was 249 = 400

Anyway, up for a pint in the next two weeks?

dave

I picked up the flywheel for $160, I can get the clutch kit for about $250, so that's $410 CDN.

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
So that is a good savings then. My clutch kit for 150usd to your 250cnd. You still have to factor in the trans stretch bolts which work out to be around 20-25 bucks I think

HotVDub said:
I picked up the flywheel for $160, I can get the clutch kit for about $250, so that's $410 CDN.
I'm flying home but I can always stand around and chuck sh!te and fire beer bottle into your backyard :rolleyes:

Dave

Last edited: