A3tdi exhaust upgrades

2012a3tdi

TDI
Audia3 2012
I don't know what that means? Thinking about paying out for exhaust system, and upgrading the nozzles? Reading lots about 187's, which come on manual shifters, or 205's?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I hear good things about the 357 magnum nozzles. They should bolt right up to the flux converter. Kidding. This is a common rail you're asking about, correct?

2012a3tdi

TDI
Audia3 2012
"Common rail" I have all factory exhaust at this time, and was considering something that can add power if removed and replaced?

I am also reading up on "nozzle" replacement, 5hose too are currently factory for auto tran.?

2012a3tdi

TDI
Audia3 2012
Wow, lot's of good stuff to read through. I'm located in Irvine California, and was looking for exhaust and, or nozzle upgrades to compliment stage 1 revo remap? It's a daily commuter, and I put 60 miles on it every mon - fri.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Unfortunately there's nothing you can really do to improve fuel economy or power output in the exhaust department due to emissions regulations. Chopping the muffler off doesn't really do anything, can't even hear a difference other than a very mild increase in induction noise when you're giving it the beans around 3000. Don't waste your money on an exhaust the stock one is not restrictive other than the DPF and cat.

Nothing worth doing other than software or a CR170 turbo, your nozzles are good for way more power than your turbo can put out.

2012a3tdi

TDI
Audia3 2012
Thanks for the honesty. A friend recommended the revo remap, and it changed my driving experience. Have been reading into further options, but want to stay street legal, daily commuter. Love my tdi and glad I found these forums.

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
Glad you're enjoying it! These cars were setup very "clean" from the factory and pick up a lot of power just from fueling. Our tunes don't require deletes, although they're made a little hotter for turbo back exhausts. The stage 4 turbo kit will be emissions compliant and aimed at stock vehicles, although the off road version will be far more aggressive.

Suspension goes a long way on this chassis, and so does DSG tuning (which I'm surprised you're not having issues with on that tune).

Last edited:

2012a3tdi

TDI
Audia3 2012
I had my local Audi tech upload the revo stage 1 tune however, It doesn't appear that revo offers a stage 2 or dsg tune? I'm totally nude, although I have owned my 2012 since new. Also, the factory turbo went out at 73K and the dealer charged me 2.6K for a new one. Furthermore, I recently had the sound system upgraded,and they disconnected the battery in the process, was wondering if that would change my revo settings?

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
Gobbled a turbo already? What boost is that tune running? they're pretty close to maxed out stock, only really good for 22 PSI safely. Shame there isn't an emission compliant turbo kit on the market.

yet.

No your tune won't be affected by anything other than someone writing over you ECU file, which only VW will likely do. Pretty sure revo has a stage 2 and they should also have DSG tuning. These transmissions have electronically set torque limiters which will interfere with power delivery in certain situations, it can be downright dangerous in a left turn situation if you're caught off guard. Odds are they're doing something with the tune to get around that or they would have informed you.

2012a3tdi

TDI
Audia3 2012
Thanks Owain, I found that Revo does offer stage 2 and dsg via their site. If I could go back I would have had the blown turbo replaced with an upgrade but, too late now and I don't want to spend money for another kit at this time. I am however seriously looking into the Revo.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Revo is sub par to the other US bases tdi tuners. Support the likes of Of the people who actually work with TDI's on a daily basis out here. And are on these forums helping members with useful information.

DieselCooter

TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI 6MT
A3, I see you posted another thread earlier asking about nozzle upgrades for your car. You should really research into what you own and what's been done by people before you, because the guys on this site have done it all. You'll see that the engine in your car is referred to as the CR140 by many around here, or as just a common rail. Those engines don't require nozzle upgrades for what you want, and as far as I know hasn't been needed by any of the guys making big power with these. You should have done a bit more tune research before you went with Revo as well. Most everyone in the CR world uses Malone Tuning for their car and Kerma TDI is pretty popular as well. Malone tuning offers a DSG tune as well, as you need it when you get up to stage 2. As for an exhaust, there's no worth while option if you're not willing to eliminate your emissions equipment. Those are your main restrictions, otherwise known as you Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) and your Exhaust Gas Recirculator (EGR). Hopefully this well give you a better idea of what you're looking for. Rawtek and Buzzken are the 2 best options for exhaust if you're going that way. Fixmyvw.com is a great place to shop for your vehicle, they are also a certified Malone Tuner.

2012a3tdi

TDI
Audia3 2012
You are right, should have done my homework. This is more of a side project as I have a day job, wife and kids. I've read lots of good reviews on Malone and reached out to a local dealer from the forums. CR140, I believe, my a3 is one of the CR170's? I'm upset at myself for paying an audi dealer 2.6k for a new factory turbo, didn't know better at the time. And, the revo was advise given to me by a friend who has a Golf TDI and an S3, both with revo stage 1 and he hyped me up about the enhanced power. Will continue to do my homework and see where I end up. I have 97K on my 2012 and although it's my work commuter, it's also my weekender even though I have a 2015 GL. The GL is comfortable and fits the family, but my little hatchback is simply cool.

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
I beg to differ
Touche. Stays under primary EGT limiter on stock intercooler? or find out this summer? know that takes awhile. All for a little competition (friendly or otherwise) if you sell a kit in the Vancouver area and want to find out what the dynapack says let me know ;)

Last edited: