Trans swap- would you?

S4Jeff

TDI
Looking
SO, I Know there are ton of threads about the 02J-02M tranny swap. So, I have an opportunity to pick up a 2003 Jetta VR6 that has the 6 speed manual trans in it, for cheap. What I'm thinking of doing is swapping out the trannys, take the 5 speed and put it in the vr6 and put the 6 speed from the vr6 into the TDI. Once that is done I will either part out the old VR6 or I'll fix the motor and sell it.

Question is which for some reason I can't find it. I believe that the 6 speed tranny is the correct one for the swap? I got confused because I found some threads that made it sound like there are different versions of the 02M? Can anyone confirm that the tranny is a direct swap? Of course with the axles etc...

The other question is, is it really worth it? Will it lower my RPM's that much at 70-75 and save on fuel? I feel like it's worth the time and effort to swap them both over. Thoughts?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Not the right transmission. VR6 will have shorter gearing than the 02M that is used in TDIs in Europe. All you need to do to confirm this is drive the VR6. Odds are the gearing is shorter in 6th than your 02J in 5th.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yup, not a good idea if your goal is to reduce cruising rpm. 2800 rpm @70 mph with the VR6 02M vs. 2000 rpm @70 mph with the tdi 02M.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
And 2400 at 70 with an 02J.

I've resisted a 6-speed swap for years. First it was because of weight, then because of difficulty getting a good, quiet clutch that could handle extensive mods. Now that my car isn't so modded I still prefer the 5 speed. Shifts better IMO, and I really don't think the revs are an issue. Drove to Detroit and back last weekend, have a slightly taller fifth that drops revs about 100 RPM at highway speeds. Ran at 80+ the whole trip and still got 46 MPG on winter fuel and tires. Same drive at 75 gets me 53 in summer.

S4Jeff

TDI
Looking
That's what I was afraid of. I had a feeling that was the case but figured I would check in with you experts. Maybe I'll just save the hassle and put a short shifter on it, stock shifter is worn out a bit and then just do the 5th gear mod.

My last tank I got 52 MPG which was combined city and HWY, mostly HWY tho. I'm ok with what I get MPG, I wouldn't mind getting more. I guess not doing the 6 speed swap will be a lot less work for me LOL. Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
At least the OP isn't as ambitious as me. Eventually, I'd like to do a DSG -> 6MT swap on my JSW, if I can get my hands on the 6MT and all associated components.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Gearing isnt too far off...but the bell housing angle wont work.
isn't it the bell bolt pattern that's different?

If it's just the angle, that's some really neat information to keep in mind

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The VR6 trans is very different than the I4. In addition to the angle being totally wrong, the bolt pattern arrangement along the bottom is different, and there is no timing mark access hole since TDC setting on the VR gets done with a big fixture on the front of the engine.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
If you had a 4 cyl. 02M bellhousing to swap with the vr6 02M bellhousing it could/would work. The trans. internals are essentially the same other than gear ratio.