Vag-com check in Central NY (Willing to travel)

Pedrokep

TDI
97 VW Passat
I live in Syracuse, NY and I think I may have some problems with my 97 Passat TDI. The engine isnt idling normally, seems to have a stumble every 5-10 seconds and it starts hard. This is my first VW and I dont have a vag com to check things. If anyone is willing to devote a little time or help me out I would greatly appreciate it. I am a student and dont have much money but I can buy a 12 pack or something. I am willing to travel up to an hour for this.

silverstick

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS (160K miles), and '05 Jetta GLS wagon (120K)
Hevster1

Hevster1 works on TDI's, and has Vag-Com, although I don't know if his would work with your car -- you could query him. He spent a lot of time doing some diagnostics on my car, and he was very patient with my questions, and very explanatory.

He's a bit of a drive from you -- just outside the Delaware Water Gap.

Pedrokep

TDI
97 VW Passat
I have not changed my fuel filter since Ihave purchased it. I will do that soon. the car has 215k miles. I am looking for someone a little more local then delaware, but thanks for the recomendation. I will be near NYC on friday and saturday if theres anyone in those parts.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Syracuse is about 3 hours from me generally straight down 81. My software should work and i have the pro kit with everything.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
Can you wait till Christmas? We'll be in NS/L'Pool for the holiday, and we can bring ours.

Like tdidieselbobny suggested, have you changed your fuel filter? There are instructions available here that you should definitely read so you don't end up with air in your system.

Are you running WVO all the time?

If you get desperate, there is a great VW guy near the zoo--Ed Karpinski.

You can PM us if Christmas is OK or if you want Ed's info..

Last edited:

Pedrokep

TDI
97 VW Passat
Jetter_Sprinta- PM sent.
I actually just recieved the fuel filter yesterday. I plan on installing it on my car today. As for the question regarding WVO, I dont run it all the time. I only switch if it is a longer trip (30+ minutes) because in the colder temperatures it takes longer to warm up.

Hevster1- I will probably be around my moms house (1hr north if NYC) in a few weekends, I will send you a PM in advance and see if this works out for you.