VW passat b5 brakes are not fully working.

edzha90

TDI
Hi there,

Today I get replaced front brake pads, as I thought that was the problem in first place for bad braking. In garage they checked rear brakes then they said they are fine. But when I tried to slow down really fast I can feel that the front brakes are working and rear are not that good or not giving any response at all.

What could be a problem in rear brakes? Brake cylinder, rusty pipes?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Go back to the garage that did the work and ask them to look at it again.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Front brakes do 80% of the work. If there is a problem slowing down, then there is still an issue with the fronts.

Sometimes if the pads are economy / inexpensive, then it can take a number of stops for the brakes to seat / bed / wear into each other, and in that time, braking distances can be greater.

As with all brake replacements, make sure that the calipers are working properly, that the sliding surfaces are clean and sized properly, and that no air has been introduced into the system.

Were the rotors replaced at the same time?

Mikey2

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2002 grey
Brakes generate lots of heat - after braking the rotors are hot. With caution, feel the rim temperature after a harsh braking.

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Chev Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Parking brake? I know when I had my rears replaced it about put me through the windshield the first time I stepped on them thinking it was the same as before.

edzha90

TDI
Parking brake does the job.

Silly question - does the hand brake use the same brake pads as normal rear pads?

edzha90

TDI
Right so I assume rear brakes are working ? because when I tried to slow down really fast, I can feel front tyres sliding only...

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
As above, you need to confirm that the rest of the caliper is working - make sure that the sliders are free, and that the pads can slide freely in their brackets.

Jack up the rear of the car and apply the brake pedal (assistant), do the brakes hold the rear wheels?

Does your car have ABS?

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
If the rears are working at all, then the rotors should be heating up. Get an infrared thermometer and check the temperature of the rotors on each side after hard braking. Theoretically (my guess...) is that the two rear rotors should be about the same temp, otherwise a big delta could mean the calipers are working harder on one side than the other. But, I don't think you can tell the front to rear balancing just from the temp - too many variables.

edzha90

TDI
I haven'd had time to lift up my car, but when I was driving about 30 miles per hour I tried my hand brake, it seems it does braking without mention that my hand brake is almost on top..