2006 Jetta BRM Turbo Actuator Replacement

REEDBR

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI BRM
I've got a 2006 Jetta TDI engine code BRM, 5 spd manual trans. The entire car turbo and all are stock. I started hearing air/vacuum leak coming from the engine compartment. This was about 1 year after I had major engine repair. I lost two valves, and the camshaft at 117,000 miles then about 150,000 miles this actuator started leaking.

Regarding the air/vacuum leak I noticed the car didn't seem to have much power until about 1,800 rpm then you could feel it pull really hard. After the 1,800 rpm range the leak seemed to be less. Upon investigation I could feel air leaking from around the waste gate actuator rod. I looked for a replacement actuator then decided to wait due to the high cost of the turbo and began some searching which is how I found your forum and some threads about the actuators.

I know the engine code is BRM but I have no idea what the turbo is. I'm not even sure if there are multiple manufacturers in 2006 for the turbos. I saw mention of Borg Warner and Garrett in the thread but don't know if that was the turbo or actuator or both.

Anyone know how I can find out which one?

Anyone know how I can find out if the actuator works on vacuum or pressure? I'm kinda thining pressure since I can feel air blowing around the actuator rod.

iCharlie

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI -Alaska Green- (sold) 2005.5 Jetta TDI BRM
The actuator failure is a very common problem too. I just replaced the on in my BRM recently. Only $250 in parts from idparts.

flyvsdrive

TDI
2005.5 Jetta (MKV BRM)
Tough or Easy?

The actuator failure is a very common problem too. I just replaced the on in my BRM recently. Only $250 in parts from idparts.
iCharlie, does the replacement of the actuator require that the turbocharger assembly be removed from the engine or can it be replaced from above with the turbo still mounted?