System reset after battery replacement

peani

I need to replace the battery on my 99.5 Jetta, and was ready to do it myself until the dealer mentioned resetting a bunch of codes & stuff on the engine computer, such as the idle setting and whatnot. I thought you just had to worry about the radio and the automatic window feature, as stated in the manual. Any info on the subject? What should I watch out for? Is it really all that complicated or risky?

HowardZ

Top Post Dawg
From what I've read in the Bentley CD all you need is the radio code.

Once I purposely disconnected my battery for 24 hours, and I didn't even need to use the radio code.

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: HowardZ ]</p>

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
I agree!

For a short-term battery replacement, no recoding should be necessary, but IF the ECU wants the Readiness Code reset for some reason, it's no big deal and all you need to do is drive your TDI.

3kidsnadezl

Veteran Member
find you one of those memory maintainers that inserts in the cigarette lighter connected to a 9 volt battery. this will maintain the radio, air bag, and keyless entry. I had an experience last year when I went in for an alignment and left with a new battery and the car being taken to the dealer for resetting of the codes (fortunately the alignment shop paid the dealer). By getting one of these things you can change the battery yourself.

VW Vet

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL TDI, 2001
I have had my battery (2001 Golf GL TDI 5 Speed) disconnected over night several times and nothing needed recoding.
It was disconnected for 3 weeks at the body shop and the EGR readiness codes needed resetting. This was done by performing a voodoo driving regimen as described in the Bentley manual. All was back to normal after that.

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: VW Vet ]</p>

nuke

Veteran Member
It's all in the bentley.

First thing you do after reconnecting the battery is make sure it starts and everything seems ok, shut the engine off and remove the key.

1. Get in car, close door, insert key and turn to the "run" position, but do not start engine. Hold accelerator to floor for at least 5 seconds, release pedal and turn off ignition switch.

2. From outside the car, close all doors, insert key in driver's door, turn to right to roll down all the windows. Remove key. Insert key into driver's door lock, Turn to the left to roll up all the windows, remove key.

3. Recode radio if necessary (it will often come on after a couple of starts by itself in the newer cars).

4. Drive the car on a hard run a few times with the pedal to the floor in 3rd for at least 5 seconds to set the readiness code. (there's an exact procedure in the manual, but just driving it will set the code eventually in a short time too).

That's about it.

There's some kind of adaptation setup for the auto-transmission, but I don't have one so I don't know for sure the process

jxpfeer

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Silver Jetta GLS, lux
this may be a dumb question, but what exactly does that readiness code mean / do ?

nuke

Veteran Member
Readiness code is how the engine tells a smog checker computer that everything in the engine is working correctly with regard to smog controls.

It's part of the OBD-II thing.

RevM

TDI
2000 NB
Just received my new Bentley CD for the NB. Not being very computer literate, can someone tell me where and/or how to find the system reset on the CD that Nuke outlines above? Thanks.

David

[ April 29, 2002, 12:12: Message edited by: RevM ]