golf tdi reliability

Jonlaicovsky

I'm looking for some information on how well the tdi golf are in terms of mechanical and body reliability. I've heard that the newer (from 1998 to currant) VW's aren't all that good in quality. I'm not afraid of fixing anything mechanically related, body I'm not that good, unless it's replacing parts.
I'm looking for a 2000 'n newer, somewhere in the range of $10k. W/ a manual gearbox of course.

So if NE1 can point to me where there might be a previous comment or make a new one, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Jon L

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Typical problems would be:

window regulator clip
mass airflow sensor
hazard switch
door latch switch (not correctly detecting open/closed)
cargo area light
coolant migration
relay 109
incorrect maintenance by owner, dealer, or independent mechanic (e.g. wrong coolant, wrong oil, etc.)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I'm looking for a 2000 'n newer, somewhere in the range of $10k. W/ a manual gearbox of course.
You should be able to find something with 100k miles or less. TDI-specific hings to look for are
1) either proof of a recent timing belt change, or plan on doing this immediately after purchase,
2) information about what kind of motor oil was used. Avoid any car with JiffyLube stickers on door frame or window. The correct oil is a synthetic 5w40 rated for diesel engines.

The rest is all due diligence, the same as buying any used car.

maxforce

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf, 04 Jetta, 84 300SD
RED is right, Look for a log book with the maint. records in it. That is always a plus. And like he said if JL has been doing the changes, no telling what has been put in it. For realiable purposes I usually stay away from racing mods too.

You should be able to find something with 100k miles or less. TDI-specific hings to look for are
1) either proof of a recent timing belt change, or plan on doing this immediately after purchase,
2) information about what kind of motor oil was used. Avoid any car with JiffyLube stickers on door frame or window. The correct oil is a synthetic 5w40 rated for diesel engines.

The rest is all due diligence, the same as buying any used car.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
all good points but attend a GTG 'Get to gether' and really see what is up. There is a big one in at Impex see meets thread. Also talk to the attendees. The net is a great place but you have to touch and feel the car to really see if you want to go the TDi route.

Jonlaicovsky

What do you mean by 'coolant migration'? Does the coolant leak into the cylinders? or somewhere else? or do you mean periodic coolant changes?

And yes, peterV. I would like to go w/ the TDi route. I've had a '82 diesel rabbit, and driven a '99 jetta tdi. Love 'em. I wish I could afford 1 of the new PD's, but i can't right now.

Thanks
Jon

Rustynuts

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta 2.0ltr Sport TDI
Coolant migration. The strange phenomenon of the coolant sensor connection in the expansion bottle leaking. Coolant is forced out under pressure, and migrates down the wiring of the connector. Wherever the wires go, the coolant goes. First to show signs of the problem is generally the instrument cluster, and can get as far as coolant in the tail lights!! It has been known.

Once the process has started, the only cure is a new expansion bottle and all affected wiring. As all the wiring is connected at one point or another, it can be a major strip and rebuild.

There is a preventative fix, which involves drilling or burning a hole in the connector housing on the bottle to allow possible coolant leakage to escape before entering the wiring.

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
Also, broken glove box hinge, intake manifold clogging, poor electrical contact on front turn signal socket, frequent headlight burnout, airbag electrical failures.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
>>broken glove box hinge, intake manifold clogging, poor electrical contact on front turn signal socket, frequent headlight burnout, airbag electrical failures<<

Not trying to give you a hard time, but...

With the exception of the intake manifold (for which you can substitute another malaise), wouldn't you find the same problems with a gasoline-powered VW of the same vintage?

(For the other maladies, please pick between defective coilpacks, oil sludging, and a host of other issues...)

Yuri.

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
Yes, Yuri, I suppose the other things are not specific to the diesel. But you will still encounter them with the diesel, so they're something to consider. I just wish the list wasn't quite so long.

Jonlaicovsky

about the airbag electrical problems. Is it the clock sensor or the crash sensors? or the ACM.

Overall, it seems to me that there are a quite a few annoying problems occuring w/ VW's. but then again, i don't recall a car manufacter that doesn't have problems. Plus it keeps the mechanics employed, 'n giving me something to work on the weekends.

thanks

jon l

fe2cruz

TDI
golf 2005 blue
Re: what about the clutch complaints?

hey just joined the forum
and wanted ask about reliablity too:

what about the notorius VW weak clutch/transmission?
has this been solved in the last 5 years?
i hear rumors that the clutch is weak
and the tranny gear ratios are slightly wierd
is this a more serious problem with the
new TDIpd putting out more torque?

I don't have any real experience with these claims
its just what I hear friends say about 1990s & newer
VWs on the street. I'm hoping to get these things sorted
out before I actually buy a VW myself.

I have my eye on a heavily modded TDI
with low miles, but I'm afraid with these mods
somebody drove it hard and the tranny may be weak already

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
about the airbag electrical problems. Is it the clock sensor or the crash sensors? or the ACM.
A certain range of years had an airbag controller that failed if scanned by a scan tool. http://www.ross-tech.com (makers of VAG-COM scan tool software) has a description of the problem somewhere.

There have been occasional reports on VWVortex of side airbags deploying without a crash.

cage

Top Post Dawg
fe2cruz, I would worry about a "heavily modded" anything. I am a fast driver (not over the speed limit but I accelerate really hard all the time.) and I am on my original clutch and transmission after 7 years and 101,000mi. I mean I take off from lights, I fly down freeway entrance ramps etc. The key is I know how to drive stick. I have had two stop and go races with 1.8T Golfs and beat both of them. The drivers SUCKED at driving stick. Their engine was just getting power and they would shift with a nose dive then jerk into the next gear. Now I'm talking repeated attempts at beating me. Their style of driving is far more rough of the drivetrain than mine.
I guess my long story is to say that I don't know how much we can blame VW for transmission/clutch issues. Sometimes you have to consider who is driving their cars.