06 Jetta PD BRM "Emissions Workshop" Troubleshooting Request for Help

stephanie83

TDI
06 Jetta
51900 miles, some bio run, but not in a long time. Shortly after throwing Emissions workshop CEL, car refused to run.
Starts, occasionally hard start, either way dies within approx 30 secs.
VAG-COM reads DTC 257 MAF signal implausible. Disconnected MAF - no change, starts and dies shortly after. Cleared code
to no change in modus operandi
Anti-stutter appears to work nominally - open while starting and stays open until after engine dies, then cycles closed
and back open. Did notice white smoke and strange smell when boos tube was removed.
Attempted test of N75, appears to work nominally, but difficult to tell since car won't run long. Can move linkage arm freely,
some resistance due to diaphragm in valve (feels like it)
Thinking next logical step is to get to EGR valve to see if it is coked up, but seems like a reach. Any recommendations would
be highly appreciated.
*Update- Found out this morning, after some research that we've been using the wrong VAG COM cable, so its possible the reading is completley off base.

8/31 - Upgraded VAG Com cable on the way, hopefully have an uber accurate detailed reading soon. Also, found out my car is a 5.5, man date 7/05.

Last edited:

stephanie83

TDI
06 Jetta
On the way home from work the "emissions workshop!" alert popped up on the dash. Got the car home, was on my way to the shop the next morning, made it about 4 or 5 houses down and it started to stutter, real jerky, so, I turned it off. Havent been able to get it to stay on since.

06SpiceRedTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Spice Red TDI Jetta, 2006.5 DSG Platinum Gray TDI
Fuel Filter? when was it changed last? Change it. Lift-pump? I don't know these are just suggestions of what I would try, starts with the simple things. Was the car just recently filled with fuel, if so take off the cap and see if there is any hint of Gasoline, there was a station around here that had the Tanker driver accidentally fill the diesel tanks with gasoline.

Last edited:

stephanie83

TDI
06 Jetta
a little bit, white smoke still with a slight smell, still cant tell what the smell is though... cant hear lift pump when turning key on, connected to 12v source and it ran fine,

Last edited:

05_new_jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
MKV Jetta TDI
Duramax&1stTDI said:
Bad MAF or cam sensor.

Are there any other codes being thrown?
a bad maf won't shut it down.. I would think vw being as high tech as they are would throw a code for a cam sensor signal implausible or something.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Did hear that some A5's had problems with contacts in the fuse box(s) loosing contact with fuses. the fix was to retention (bend) the fuse contacts on the effected fuses.

stephanie83

TDI
06 Jetta
Yea, kinda at a hold now, turns out the vag com cable i had access to wasnt compatible. Ordered a new one, it should be here soon. But, until then, wont be able to get an accurate code read out. But the only errors that the car gave me was the emissions workshop.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
stephanie83 said:
Yea, kinda at a hold now, turns out the vag com cable i had access to wasnt compatible. Ordered a new one, it should be here soon. But, until then, wont be able to get an accurate code read out. But the only errors that the car gave me was the emissions workshop.
VAG-COM (VCDS) is one of those things that if you're getting a reading, it's working. I'd be very surprised if you got some other output after changing interfaces.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
1) Check the wires for the engine that run under the battery/airbox for any chaffing

2) Verify fuel (didn't see that you had, odd smelling exhausts make me think a potential fuel issue) ... if possible use lift pump to drain tank and fill fuel filter w/ good diesel and test from there (use a 5 gallon jug with a line run to the fuel filter to keep it under vacuum)

3)
???

Good luck....

cdavis03

TDI
2005 Passat Sedan GLS & GL
Mine came on yesterday

I have no signs of problems running yet. I hope you figure this out. I just got the car with 85,000 miles on it.

JTPark

TDI
06 Jetta MkV/A5/PD/BRM, 06 F250 Powertroke
Updated Troubleshooting Data

stephanie83 said:
51900 miles, some bio run, but not in a long time. Shortly after throwing Emissions workshop CEL, car refused to run.
Starts, occasionally hard start, either way dies within approx 30 secs.
VAG-COM reads DTC 257 MAF signal implausible. Disconnected MAF - no change, starts and dies shortly after. Cleared code
to no change in modus operandi
Anti-stutter appears to work nominally - open while starting and stays open until after engine dies, then cycles closed
and back open. Did notice white smoke and strange smell when boos tube was removed.
Attempted test of N75, appears to work nominally, but difficult to tell since car won't run long. Can move linkage arm freely,
some resistance due to diaphragm in valve (feels like it)
Thinking next logical step is to get to EGR valve to see if it is coked up, but seems like a reach. Any recommendations would
be highly appreciated.
*Update- Found out this morning, after some research that we've been using the wrong VAG COM cable, so its possible the reading is completley off base.
8/31 - Upgraded VAG Com cable on the way, hopefully have an uber accurate detailed reading soon. Also, found out my car is a 5.5, man date 7/05.
I've been helping Steph try to get this thing fixed, so I will update what we've found thus far, since she's on her way to Seattle for work and I'm left holding the bag of wrenches...

A couple days prior to the "Emissions Workshop" CEL, car gave the dreaded "Rear Tail light bulb burned out", but that was never addressed (probably un-related) but the engineer in me thinks all things usually are related in someway. There doesn't appear to be any lights burned out

We r&r'd the fuel filter and while doing so refilled the filter can with diesel purge. This didn't seem to help.

Thinking some air obstruction, our next step was removing the piping from the air filter to the turbo inlet (MAF and CCV disconnected), the car started and idled, thinking it a coincidence, I started adding things back into the flow and it never idled again, fluke maybe?... Did notice some sort of valve in the bottom of the air box that I can't figure out what it is, it appear to valve input into the air intake (post-filter) from the exhaust, so it must be part of the EGR system?

Decided to use a different key (immobilizer function maybe?), battery was dead, probably due to me leaving a light on or some such ridiculousness, so it got a full charge overnight. The next day with the spare remote key, the car started and idled (no shut down after a few seconds), however roughly, tried to rev it up but it wouldn't, backed down driveway but it wouldn't power up the very slight incline. Tried the valet key, with similar results, although it did seem to idle a little smoother and it would rev up while in Park, but still wouldn't move the car with transmission engaged. Only code left on display is the original Rear Light Bulb burned out. No more emissions workshop.

While running, this thing is smoking like crazy, kind of sweet smelling - I'm assuming its still burning the diesel purge, can't help but wonder how long it has to run to burn off the filter can full of purge?

New VAG COM Hex cable should be here shortly, and I am looking forward to running the diagnostics to see if it can shed some light on what's going on with this car. With only 52K miles, it's gotta be something minor, right?

Further clarification, this is an 05.5 (man'd date 07/05) Package 2, TDI Automatic, and it's got the fuel filter can that pulls completely w/o any bolts

Last edited:

JTPark

TDI
Another Unique Thing about this car

The key cylinder doesn't seem to have an "on" position, or position 1. As you turn the key clockwise, the very first click the car starts. No spring loaded "start" position. Once the car dies, you have to turn it off (where the key can be removed) and do it again. Seems very bizarre, but the car has always done this since she's had it (close to 2 yrs). Connection to the running issue?

All you experts and problem solver types, this is a challenge. Feed me some ideas and I will try them out. I'd sure like to have this thing fixed for her by the time she gets back from Seattle. I'm feeling a little guilty since I encouraged her to buy this car due to the awesome fuel mileage (she's been getting 50+) and even got close to that on some of my homebrewed bio...

I'm a diesel nut (06 F250, 07 Kubota M9540, 05 side-by-side with 3 cyl Cat). Oh and an 07 GSXR 1000 (no compressive combustion there)

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

JTPark

TDI
Thread Hijack?

jmoore said:
Following is the reading from VAG COM. Readings from a 2005.5 TDI Jetta. Do I need to replace the intake flap valve? I believe that they cost ~$300.
Don't want to spend that unless needed.

Address 01: Engine
Control Module Part Number: 03G 906 016 AB
Component and/or Version: R4 1,9L EDC G000SG 7550
Software Coding: 0050071
Work Shop Code: WSC 00066
2 Faults Found:

008213 - Intake Manifold Flap Position Sensor (Bank 1): Implausible Signal
P2015 - 000 - - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 254
Mileage: 151513 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 19:32:00

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1785 /min
Speed: 85.0 km/h
Load: 0.0 %
Voltage: 14.44 V
Mass Air / Rev.: 190.0 mg/str
Duty Cycle: 69.8 %
Bin. Bits: 00000000

008598 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Signal too High (Rich)
P2196 - 000 - - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00110000
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 153415 km
Time: 05:27:31

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1260 /min
Speed: 46.0 km/h
(no units): 160
Temperature: 44.1°C
Absolute Pres.: 999.6 mbar
Voltage: 1.752 V
(no units): 0.0

Mileage is a bit lower, rich mixture result of bad intake flap?

Thank You

Jim
Come on Jim, I don't see the correlation to my (Steph83's) issue

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
JTPark said:
The key cylinder doesn't seem to have an "on" position, or position 1. As you turn the key clockwise, the very first click the car starts. No spring loaded "start" position. Once the car dies, you have to turn it off (where the key can be removed) and do it again. Seems very bizarre, but the car has always done this since she's had it (close to 2 yrs). Connection to the running issue?
All you experts and problem solver types, this is a challenge. Feed me some ideas and I will try them out. I'd sure like to have this thing fixed for her by the time she gets back from Seattle. I'm feeling a little guilty since I encouraged her to buy this car due to the awesome fuel mileage (she's been getting 50+) and even got close to that on some of my homebrewed bio...
I'm a diesel nut (06 F250, 07 Kubota M9540, 05 side-by-side with 3 cyl Cat). Oh and an 07 GSXR 1000 (no compressive combustion there)
Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Something wrong here.

This car should have a three position ignition switch.

OFF
ON or RUN
START (spring loaded to return back to run)

The Vag-com cable you want is one of the CAN cables.

Bill

JTPark

TDI
Thanks 40X40, it has always seemed strange to me. Any recommendations on how to troubleshoot? Talking with Steph this morning, she is able to occasionally (rarely), get the switch to act properly. Is this an opportunity to lubricate? Doesn't seem like it could be caused by the relay.

I've got the USB-HEX-CAN from Ross-Tech on the way, should be here any day.

stephanie83

TDI
06 Jetta
Well, I was out of town for a little back, and when I got back the battery was dead. Left it charging for about 12 hours and nothing, found out it had a couple of cells shorted, replaced it. Just got the VAG COM cable, going to run the diagnostic this evening. I'll follow up with the readings...

You said "similar," how similar? Which parts? I'm curious.

stephanie83

TDI
06 Jetta
Fault Codes!!!

Hey guys, I finally have fault codes. So, now I just need to figure out what all of them mean...

Saturday,26,September,2009,13:47:06:52973
VCDS Version: Release 908.0
Data version: 20090911

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 01: Engine Labels: 038-906-016-BEW.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 03G 906 016 AC HW: 028 101 223 9
Component and/or Version: R4 1,9L EDC G000DG 7551
Software Coding: 0050078
Work Shop Code: WSC 00066 000 00000

5 Faults Found:
009572 - Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit: Signal too Low
P2564 - 000 - - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Mileage: 83447 km
Time: 14:04:09
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Lambda: -13.1 %
Absolute Pres.: 979.2 mbar
Absolute Pres.: 999.6 mbar
Duty Cycle: 101.6 %

001031 - EGR Potentiometer (G212): Signal too Low
P0407 - 000 - - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Time: 14:06:06
Freeze Frame:
Lambda: -25.0 %
Mass Air / Rev.: 895.0 mg/str
Mass Air / Rev.: 0.0 mg/str

001027 - EGR Valve (N18): Malfunction
P0403 - 000 - - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Time: 14:06:16
Freeze Frame:
Duty Cycle: 0.0 %
Voltage: 11.86 V
Duty Cycle: 0.0 %

000258 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Signal too Low
P0102 - 000 - - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Time: 09:43:19
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1218 /min
Duty Cycle: 100.6 %
Bin. Bits: 00101000
Mass Air / Rev.: 350.0 mg/str

000387 - Fuel Temp. Sensor A (G81): Open or Short to Plus
P0183 - 000 - - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 168 /min
Voltage: 9.58 V
Temperature: 31.5°C
Temperature: 36.9°C
Temperature: 38.7°C

Readiness: 0 1 0 0 0

Last edited:

stephanie83

TDI
06 Jetta
Help Please!

OK, guys, I've got the fault codes, all I need now are your ideas, help, opinions. I'm still stuck. Thank you, look forward to hearing from you.