Jetta 2009 TDI Block Heater/Tank Heater

carrot

TDI
None yet
I'm asking this question here because the dealership in the south have no idea about this (normal, they don't need them). The sales guy told me that it can't be installed.

Just so I have the proper information, seems like all TDI 2009 comes from factory *without* block heater. I got this from a dealership in canada which said that they have to install them when the car gets to the local dealer. 395$.

Not sure if this included the tank heater as well (or maybe that comes standard).

Do you think this information is correct? Do you think my local Atlanta dealer should be able to order/install this for me? (Because I travel to Canada in winter where it's -40C in the morning).

Thanks.

irbk

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI
I believe that is a correct statment, VW doesn't offer a block heater/tank heater for the 09. I'm sure there's something aftermarket like the Frost heater at http://www.frostheater.com/. Unfortunatly, Frost Heater doesn't have the heater developed for the 09 model... yet. I'm sure there's aftermarket stuff that you could get to put on it.

eft

TDI
2009 TDI
My dealer just told me VW doesn't offer a pre-engine heater for the '09. I'm going to freeze my butt off going to the gym a 6am this winter!!!! What I don't understand is why it is listed as an option on page 218 in the manual?

NorthernMage

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, 6MT, Platinum Grey
If you have heated seats then you butt should be cosy warm on its way to the gym, whatever you do don't accept the oil pan heater that they used to use. Go to the Frostheater option or buy a Zerostart heater and fabricate the hoses yourself.

Here is a thread on a similar discussion; http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=154541

The Zerostart Tank Heater is a component of the Frostheater setup, in fact they are looking for an 09 to do a "free" setup on to prove the concept. Go to the Frostheater site for more details. The Zerostart comes in three "heat" levels 750W, 1000W and 1500W and were intended for larger commercial engines, they just work great on ours.....

eft

TDI
2009 TDI
I have had block heaters on all my other diesels, the older ones to start in winter and the '98 TDI for the comfort factor. I have perused a few of the other threads regarding this subject matter however they don't address the issue of the new 2009 TDI CR engine.

I did see quite a few references to frostheater however MN is kinda far from CT so although I'd be willing, I cannot be their guinea pig :(

SAABMaven

TDI
2009 SportWagen
A baby seat doesn't have a seat heater

We'll see, when it's 20 below in Vermont next winter. Methinks the wife will idle the car for a long time to warm it up before bringing the bub out and installing him in his seat.

For those fifteen minutes of extended warm-up, we are getting 0 MPG. I can't see why I don't 'need' a block heater, even if the car will start properly given the new technology.

Then again there's always BlueHeat; expensive like there's no tomorrow; but I'll have to see how it pays down; five days of a 15 minute idle for five months of Winter, that's about 25 hours of idling time per year. Wonder what the fuel burn is on a 2009 TDI... I have no idea.

Will be watching this and other threads for any changes in the situation, and update it if I find any new info.

Great to join you folks!

Cheers,
Rob in Vermont
(SAAB defector who knows what it's like to get strange looks at the pump)

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
SAABMaven said:
We'll see, when it's 20 below in Vermont next winter. Methinks the wife will idle the car for a long time to warm it up before bringing the bub out and installing him in his seat.

For those fifteen minutes of extended warm-up, we are getting 0 MPG. I can't see why I don't 'need' a block heater, even if the car will start properly given the new technology.

Then again there's always BlueHeat; expensive like there's no tomorrow; but I'll have to see how it pays down; five days of a 15 minute idle for five months of Winter, that's about 25 hours of idling time per year. Wonder what the fuel burn is on a 2009 TDI... I have no idea.

Will be watching this and other threads for any changes in the situation, and update it if I find any new info.

Great to join you folks!

Cheers,
Rob in Vermont
(SAAB defector who knows what it's like to get strange looks at the pump)
It is absolutely pointless to idle a TDI like that in the hope it will warm up. Best to bundle up , start it, wait 15 seconds to a minute for the oil to get everywhere, and just drive.

Also - max heat / max Fan is NOT the best way to keep the car warm. Max heat , yes, with recirc on. Max fan - no. My fan speed never went over 3 all winter.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
The '09 heats up pretty quickly compared to the ALH. When it was around 0* back in January, I'd have a comfortable amount of heat after only 10 minutes. Don't forget that there's an electric heater built into the cabin air box. Combine that with heated seats and the car heats up pretty well.

bennyboy26j

TDI
2002 Jetta 1.9L TDI
I have an 02 tdi jetta, im not concerned about me being cold when i get in to leave its my engine that im worried about, driving it before it gets up to temp is def. a no no right? it takes about 20 min to half hour for it to get to where it needs to be for me to drive it, im looking for a block heater for it so i can plug it in in the winter

Last edited:

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I have an 02 tdi jetta, im not concerned about me being cold when i get in to leave its my engine that im worried about, driving it before it gets up to temp is def. a no no right?
No, it's not a no no. How do expect it to get up to temperature if you don't drive it?

Diesels do not warm up well at idle. When it's less than 20*F, I'll start the car while I'm scraping the windows or clearing away the snow. If it's below 0F I might start it and crank up the seat(s), clear the windows, then run back inside for anminute or two to finish my hot chocolate.

The general rule of thumb is to keep the RPMs below 2,500 and to accelrate moderately until the needle (in your ALH) gets off the three white lines on the temp gauge.

LadyDrivenTDI

TDI
MKV Jetta
I have an 09 tdi and wanted to see if anyone had used the frostheater.com engine heaters. I live in northern indiana and its gets cold. Never had a block heater on atdi just wanted to see input/thoughts on this thing. Thank you!