MKV PD vs. NMS CR - Help!

TDI
2006 Jetta MK5
Hey guys,
To put it bluntly i'm conflicted... New job with longer commute and a 5mo old baby has me thinking about a newer lower mileage TDi...

Current ride is an 06 Jetta 1.9BRM PD DSG with 235K miles. Picked it up cheap with a blown cam and now has Franks TDi cam and repaired EGR cooler tube and new bosch in tank fuel pump within the last 10K. Rust in the front rockers and the only CEL is for air bags (believed to be wires under seat).

Looking at possible replacement with a Passat NMS 2.0L TDi 6MT. Don't know the new CR engines near as well so looking to get an idea of what I might be in for at the 60-90K mile buy in point? I know it sounds super newbie to ask "hows the reliability" and "what repairs are common"...

I'll read the stickies for this Passat/B7 thread but if anyone can post links to other threads with common repairs, or problems, buying advice specifically aimed at this model, or modifications to watch for under the hood... it will be much appreciated!

Don't want to dump the old reliable PD (paid off) for a CR (with car loan) without knowing what I'm in for...

Thanks!

abishoff

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I’ve had my 2015 Passat TDI SEL since OCT 2014. I really love this car. The only issues I’ve had were part of a recall regarding a def pump leak. Otherwise, everything has been taking care of via the dieselgate, which for a ‘15 is minimal. I do seem to have an oil consumption problem however, from what I gathered it’s normal so my it’s just a personal issue. I would happily buy another one if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couleetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI
I had a '03 Jetta GL 1.9, bought new, had 15 years, minor issues. Bought 2015 passat SE 6sp Manual Dec. 2018. Love it, highways miles at 70-75 runs 50-54 mpg, average on tank around town, on road as I live in country runs me upper 40's, lower 40's during winter so far. No issues. Had 24k on it when bought, have 36k now. Ride is great, handling not bad for bigger car than the Jetta, but still ok. Just add DEF as needed an away you go.

joshferrer

TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SEL (CKRA)
If you can find a CPO, that would be the way to go.

I’ve had two ‘14 Passat TDIs and have loved them.

My first one, which was totaled unfortunately, had 175k miles in 3.5 years. Yeah, I drive a lot. No issues at all.

The second one I bought CPO and had a few issues but that CPO saved me a lot of grief. I’ve had about $6k of work through CPO warranty. New mechatronic and new cooling system. I don’t know how well maintained the car was from the previous owner so I can’t say if it was a fluke or just poor care on those specific items. Nonetheless, I’m happy with the ‘14 CKRA platform. No major issues on my end.

They’re reliable.

Like I said, if you can find a CPO, do it. It’s worth it. My TDI came with two years of unlimited miles which has come in clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
The hardest part will be finding a 2015 manual passat tdi (12-14 manuals were not fixed). Love my ‘14 passat tdi sel premium.

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
My 2015 6MT has been a good car for the 40K miles I’ve put on it. There was a dual mass flywheel bearing issue shortly before the 2 year bumper to bumper warranty ended, they replaced the entire assembly (around $2300) and some bushings up front all under warranty. I paid for a new clutch as part of that, figured it was parts only and no labor.

All of the newer cars have a 11 year/162K engine and emissions warranty, so but as new as you can find with low mileage for the most coverage.

I had a '03 Jetta GL 1.9, bought new, had 15 years, minor issues. Bought 2015 passat SE 6sp Manual Dec. 2018. Love it, highways miles at 70-75 runs 50-54 mpg, average on tank around town, on road as I live in country runs me upper 40's, lower 40's during winter so far. No issues. Had 24k on it when bought, have 36k now. Ride is great, handling not bad for bigger car than the Jetta, but still ok. Just add DEF as needed an away you go.
Mine doesn’t see anywhere near 50 mpg. My highest tank has been 48.1 mpg on an easy trip to Las Vegas. Mine will consistently return 42-44 mpg at 79 mph on flat highways.

Last edited: