impossible

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 98 NB, Silver 06 NB, White 98 NB Green 02 NB Silver 03 NB
I bought my new to me 2002 bug about a year and a half ago. I've never had a POS like this one, I've always have had great luck with VW's! I went thru the VagCom stuff to stop it from setting off the alarm and finally gave up. I took the dash apart and REMOVED the alarm horn. Everything has been good and just ignored the lights flashing when the alarm was going off. Today the weirdest thing, it set the alarm off with the horn blowing my ears off!!!!! How can the alarm go off when the horn has been removed?? I swear this car is possessed!!

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
fixing a nearly 20 year old car properly would be a good start. you can BYPASS the alarm system

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
fixing a nearly 20 year old car properly would be a good start. you can BYPASS the alarm system

About a year ago I posted asking how to BYPASS the alarm system and didn't get a answer.

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
Different Horn for the alarm.

That's what I said in the original post. I pulled it out and put it in the truck. Car never made a noise in a year until today. There is a ghost in there, lol.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
About a year ago I posted asking how to BYPASS the alarm system and didn't get a answer.
Didn't get help?
The horns you hear from the alarm are not the car horns. Lay on your back beneath the lf of the car and look up, the car horns are there somewhere. I pulled a mk4 apart a couple years ago to strip it for parts and I don't quite remember exactly.
But the alarm I believe is the one under the cowl. You have to remove the wiper arms, the plastic cover beneath them, and access the area where the ecu is. From the passenger side you have the cabin filter, Ecu and trans controller, if you have an auto, and then the alarm horn. It has a wire you can unplug if I remember right, I don't know if you would have adverse effects, I would suspect not.
However, the consequences are yours and yours alone because I am many miles from you and only an irresponsible figment of your imagination.
I think you should change your name to Can'tremember$h*tbird

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
what you mean this thread?
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=494865 43 replies and plenty of info.
2nd and 3rd reply gave you the exact way to fix the issue.
so ........
everything you need to know about how to fix the issue is in the thread that was linked in post #2

as far as bypassing, you have to remove the entire thing and bypass the ignition on the harness that the security module plugs into. easy enough for you to search for that. very typical issue.
you were told about the 2nd horn around post 34,35 so i don't understand how you're literally doing the opposite of what was provided for you.
replace broken/ faulty parts. dont ghetto rig things up then complain about it not working later.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Yep. Door lock module. Common issue on these cars as they age. Replace it and you'll be fine. The car isn't a POS. But you have to know (or know someone who knows) how to diagnose and properly repair what's wrong. My '02 Jetta has been the most durable, most reliable car I've ever owned.

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, OK! I just thought someone would be interested in the alarm going off with the horn from under the dash removed. If my signature was looked at you will see that I have four of these bugs and three of them are the best cars I have ever owned. I think I'm getting the hostility here because of the POS remark, that's OK.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nah. Your fine. Some bugs and other VW models tend to feel like a pos when you keep having to work on one. We all know that feeling so dont worry about that. Also reminds me of that fake show pimp my ride where the chick had a car that constantly set off the alarm. I also had an issue like this with my van. Deleted the hell out of that.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I agree with the above door lock module. I had to change mine for the same reason as the OP's.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
My alarm was going off at night when it rained. Had a leak in the hatch causing the trunk switch to think it was open.

Fixed the leak and put a new switch in. No problems since then.

It makes sense that there are different horns to the alarm so if someone was to cut the wires for the normal use horns, there is still an alarm horn to keep your Beetle safe and sound!

I think "POS" can be applied to many makes and models including Beetles. Tiguans also come to mind, oh and don't forget the "TSI" engine to name a few.

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
It makes sense that there are different horns to the alarm so if someone was to cut the wires for the normal use horns, there is still an alarm horn to keep your Beetle safe and sound!

WOW, more then one horn? That's the only explanation to my post!! It wasn't my driving horn, it sounded just like the alarm horn I took out because that horn will blow your ears out. My wife came back from shopping and it started going off and before I could get outside to hear where it was coming from it quit. I tried to get it to go off again but it wouldn't.

I'll look at the trunk lid more today. It has always looked like it wasn't down as tight as the other bugs I have. I'm in AZ so I don't have to think about rain getting in there. Is there a write-up on adjusting that?

Thanks to all, including the CRS comment. I can't take exception to that because its true. :eek:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
WOW, more then one horn? That's the only explanation to my post!! It wasn't my driving horn, it sounded just like the alarm horn I took out because that horn will blow your ears out. My wife came back from shopping and it started going off and before I could get outside to hear where it was coming from it quit. I tried to get it to go off again but it wouldn't

Thanks to all, including the CRS comment. I can't take exception to that because its true. :eek:
Just razzing you

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
WOW, more then one horn? My wife came back from shopping and it started going off and before I could get outside to hear where it was coming from it quit. I tried to get it to go off again but it wouldn't.

On a serious note, is it possible that it was someone else’s horn? Have you two mixed meds recently?

oldbird1965

Veteran Member
TDI
On a serious note, is it possible that it was someone else’s horn? Have you two mixed meds recently?

Nope! Single house, private driveway, wife pissed off and lights flashing. Luckily either one of us are on meds! :p

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Check the wires under the boot by the driver's door hinge. They tend to crack over time.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
On the newer cars, if the dedicated alarm horn fails or is disconnected the BCM will use the main horns for the alarm. Perhaps the 2002 is smart enough to do the same?

-J

k0wtz

TDI
wow

good lord this is amazing stuff. here is one a lady couldn't get her trunk to open on a 98 beetle it cost her 1200bux to fix . have any of you heard how it opens it has some sort of electric lock?

volkswagon does some strange things sometimes!

bob

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
All the New Beetles all have electric hatch locks. Some of the cars (all models of VW) now don't have a keyhole anymore.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
They do have a keyhole in the driver's door at least it's just hidden by a cover. Just in case your batteries are dead you can still get in the car using the key.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
good lord this is amazing stuff. here is one a lady couldn't get her trunk to open on a 98 beetle it cost her 1200bux to fix . have any of you heard how it opens it has some sort of electric lock?

volkswagon does some strange things sometimes!

bob
WHAT? so that repair basically totals the car.
why so high? you can have a NEW engine for the cost of a LOCK? classic germans.