TDI fuel cap

wvmountains

TDI
2012 SEL TDI
Should the diesel fuel cap on my 2012 Passat SEL TDI “click” when I turn to close?
I noticed when I fueled up the other day that the cap did not seem to lock by clicking like my other gasoline vehicles. Also my fuel gauge went down to almost half with only 120 miles on the tank yet my average reading on the dash shows 36.8MPG!

And today a picture of an engine showed up on my dash though the car was running perfectly.

Do I need a new cap most likely? Should someone read the port for any faults? Oh, 132K on the clock with all and every service done by VW dealer.

Thanks all.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
No. Since diesel fuel does not evaporate like gasoline, there is no evap system.

Since there is no evap system, there is no need to make sure the fuel cap gets as tight as a gas car needs to be.

So our gas cap only twists approx 1/8 of a turn clockwise then returns to the 12 o’clock position.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
With a picture of an engine (check engine light CEL, malfunction indicator light MIL) on the dash that means there's something wrong (way more than any fuel cap can cause), codes are stored and parts will need to be replaced.

Chances are that light will also relate to your lowish MPGs

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
If it's still under the emissions warranty, take it to the dealer. Let them run the codes and figure out what VW needs to replace. I've had my JSW in twice since the fix. Trying to get my moneys worth.

wvmountains

TDI
2012 SEL TDI
Error code P20EE

So I had the CEL code read and it showed P20EE which I now know is the downstream side for the NOx sensor.

I believe my 2012 Passat SEL TDI had the big emissions recall done. I called the dealer and they will double check that code. Question is this: could this TDI Fix still be under warranty at 132K?

I think VW extended the recall to ten years or 120K. If it was/is over, seems I read it would extend five years and 48K miles?? I dunno.

What I also know is this sensor is $333 plus diagnostics and labor. And I’ve only put just a little over 2000 miles on it since I purchased it. Sigh.

Thanks in advance!

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
It depends on when the fix was done to your car.

Go to vwdieselinfo.com and input your VIN using capital letters.

Come on back and tell us what the date and mileage was when the fix was applied and we can help you determine if you are still under warranty.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'd put odds on the emissions warranty still being in effect. In which case it would absolutely be covered.

wvmountains

TDI
2012 SEL TDI
Shows in warranty

Completed June 7, 2017 at 94,121 miles. So it looks to still be under warranty?

And thanks everyone for all the great information. Y’all are the greatest!

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Yes. Since the longer of the warranties would be the 4 years or 48,000 miles, your car is covered until 06/07/2021 or 142,121

Take to the dealer and let them deal with it. It's Vw's problem.

Good luck.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The emissions sticker under the hood should also indicate when the emissions recall was performed and when the second warranty was to be initiated.

48K extra miles on a stock emissions system at 94K isn't much more of a warranty (but I guess it's better than the zero warranty you had before the emissions fix).

If you're at 132K, consider yourself lucky as you beat the warranty by 10K, but be prepared for something else emissions related to pop up after 142K and paying out of pocket.

Last edited:

wvmountains

TDI
2012 SEL TDI
Warranty

I took the car to my local VW dealer and you all were/are correct: I don’t have to pay a dime due to extended warranty. The 10K miles I have left and 2021 end date will be good as I don’t drive a lot of miles! So good for me.

Thanks for the advice on this issue. Sure helped me a lot. WooHoo!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I think we'll now outlast the miles and expire the fix warranty by date. My wife only put on about 9000 miles last year since we're using the truck for all our longer distance trips. Part of why I'm at almost 36k miles in two years on it.