Why do You Still Have Your MK4 TDI?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
hey_allen, You put that brilliantly,
I came to this car after my prior car was getting ~15mpg on premium unleaded, and the change in economy was effectively a healthy pay raise.
You can only spend money on so many things.

I love my '03 wagon so much that I named her Courtney.

This is the first vehicle I have ever named, and I don't know if I will ever name another.

I had a' 99 Tacoma, to this day it was my favorite truck, never named it.

However, it didn't work with 2 car seats, so I found the most efficient vehicle I could afford.

It was an mkIV sedan, I never liked it as much as I do my wagon.

Last edited:

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Primarily because I don't drive enough anymore to justify getting a new(er) car. :eek:

But it's not that hard (or expensive) to keep it going. And, as others written, I still really like the car, a decade and a half after the fact (and after 5 years of a TDI sedan before the Wagon). Entertaining to drive, great fuel mileage, swallows bookcases and sofas and wheelchairs,... I like even minor stuff like the great sight lines in the Wagon (there is pretty much NO blind spot on this car) and that I don't worry about people parking next to me anymore.

This hasn't been the cheapest car to own (even if I wrenched it myself; lots of "interesting" problems compared to some other cars I've owned) but it's such a great balance of features and performance and it's been paid for for 14 years. I kind of don't even want to look at anything else. This is fine.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I bought my Tornado Red Golf TDI on July 29, 2003, for use as a courier vehicle. I was living in San Diego and most of the deliveries were real estate documents. I did that for five years and put about 285k miles on it. Added bigger nozzles, a bigger turbo, and a tune (a Kerma tune, I think).

From summer 2008 to summer 2011 I worked at other jobs, then returned to the courier business in Minnesota. At that time the Golf had about 325k miles on it. I added a Dieselgeek Panzer skid plate shortly after, and because of the bad road conditions I've made frequent repairs to the suspension and steering components. I finally replaced the upgraded turbo with another one, with a Malone tune.

I was driving about 50k miles a year, but in early 2017 switched jobs to one where I now drive about 60k miles a year. Sometimes some light loads, but more often it is deliveries of parts to construction sites: electrical, plumbing, HVAC stuff. If the load is more than my Golf can handle, then most of the other drivers have pickups or vans.

But you'd be surprised how much I can fit inside, or sticking slightly out the back with the hatch held down with a bungee cord. No front passenger seat, so the seat belt warning light is on the dash, but that's the only warning light at this time. 5/8" plywood on the floor to support heavy loads like iron flanges, big breaker panels, bundles of 1" galvanized conduit, PVC conduit, cartons of miscellaneous parts, etc.

I try not to haul more than about 600 pounds, but have carried up to 800 pounds a couple times, for short distances. With HD Jetta wagon springs in the back and a big rear antisway bar it handles pretty well even with a big load.

About five years ago I thought it it might be a good idea to get another Golf with the ALH engine. It took about a year to find this one, a GLS with under 120k miles.

I'm always on the lookout for another Mk4 Golf -- so I have a spare in case anything happens to the red work car. I don't want to trash the blue one by using it as a work car.

The red one is now up to nearly 714k miles, with over 12k miles added just since June 1st. It gets fresh Delvac 1 ESM 5w40 every 10k miles -- I currently have 13 gallons in stock so am set for the next 18 or 20 months. I buy Wix oil filters by the dozen (same as NAPA Gold). The injection pump is original, which I credit to the Cat fuel filters (changed every 70k-80k miles). I buy the cheapest diesel I can find; up here it's B10 in the summer, B05 in the winter. I replaced the front crankshaft seal, oil pump, chain and tensioner during a timing belt change three years ago; the clutch and rear main seal a year ago; and the cylinder head this last winter; so if all goes well for the next five years this Golf should reach 1,000,000 miles in mid-2023.

For my purposes a Mk4 Golf is the perfect vehicle. An '02 or '03 Jetta TDI wagon might be slightly better, but good ones are hard to find for a reasonable price. A friend with an '04 wagon with the PD engine might want to part with hers, but I am just very fond of the ALH engines.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
I try not to haul more than about 600 pounds, but have carried up to 800 pounds a couple times, for short distances. With HD Jetta wagon springs in the back and a big rear antisway bar it handles pretty well even with a big load.
I've put 900 pounds, not including me, (weighed on the local truck scale) in my Jetta wagon and driven across the country and back, I do have the air-lift air bags in the rear springs so the car still sat level, the rear shocks don't have quite enough damping for a load like that, but it did fine all in all and still got 43-45 MPG. With that much weigh inside and me in it I was a bit over GVWR but it still drove/handled fine.

flashmayo

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta - Gator Tuned
You're saying you have a ALH engine with 700K plus miles on the original bottom end? Dang! How is the driver's seat holding up?

I bought my Tornado Red Golf TDI on July 29, 2003, for use as a courier vehicle. I was living in San Diego and most of the deliveries were real estate documents. I did that for five years and put about 285k miles on it. Added bigger nozzles, a bigger turbo, and a tune (a Kerma tune, I think).

From summer 2008 to summer 2011 I worked at other jobs, then returned to the courier business in Minnesota. At that time the Golf had about 325k miles on it. I added a Dieselgeek Panzer skid plate shortly after, and because of the bad road conditions I've made frequent repairs to the suspension and steering components. I finally replaced the upgraded turbo with another one, with a Malone tune.

I was driving about 50k miles a year, but in early 2017 switched jobs to one where I now drive about 60k miles a year. Sometimes some light loads, but more often it is deliveries of parts to construction sites: electrical, plumbing, HVAC stuff. If the load is more than my Golf can handle, then most of the other drivers have pickups or vans.

But you'd be surprised how much I can fit inside, or sticking slightly out the back with the hatch held down with a bungee cord. No front passenger seat, so the seat belt warning light is on the dash, but that's the only warning light at this time. 5/8" plywood on the floor to support heavy loads like iron flanges, big breaker panels, bundles of 1" galvanized conduit, PVC conduit, cartons of miscellaneous parts, etc.

About five years ago I thought it it might be a good idea to get another Golf with the ALH engine. It took about a year to find this one, a GLS with under 120k miles.

I'm always on the lookout for another Mk4 Golf -- so I have a spare in case anything happens to the red work car. I don't want to trash the blue one by using it as a work car.

The red one is now up to nearly 714k miles, with over 12k miles added just since June 1st. It gets fresh Delvac 1 ESM 5w40 every 10k miles -- I currently have 13 gallons in stock so am set for the next 18 or 20 months. I buy Wix oil filters by the dozen (same as NAPA Gold). The injection pump is original, which I credit to the Cat fuel filters (changed every 70k-80k miles). I buy the cheapest diesel I can find; up here it's B10 in the summer, B05 in the winter. I replaced the front crankshaft seal, oil pump, chain and tensioner during a timing belt change three years ago; the clutch and rear main seal a year ago; and the cylinder head this last winter; so if all goes well for the next five years this Golf should reach 1,000,000 miles in mid-2023.

For my purposes a Mk4 Golf is the perfect vehicle. An '02 or '03 Jetta TDI wagon might be slightly better, but good ones are hard to find for a reasonable price. A friend with an '04 wagon with the PD engine might want to part with hers, but I am just very fond of the ALH engines.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
You're saying you have a ALH engine with 700K plus miles on the original bottom end? Dang! How is the driver's seat holding up?
The seats were replaced in 2007 with Recaros. It seemed like an extravagance at the time, but now I can't imagine spending so many hours a day in an OE Golf seat. The front passenger seat is like new, as it is stored in the house, but the driver's seat is a bit ripped up. Still comfortable, though.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I like having 2 - one to drive when I need to find time to fix the other. My wife has 2 and I am down to 1, but will shortly resurrect one to be a project car and to replace the one I sold last year.

They get great mileage, have great utility. My wife even is saying she wants to sell her gasser (the Jetta) when we move and get a Golf because she keeps seeing how well mine serves.

They're all paid for, so the cash out is very reasonable. How much better does it need to get? All the gee-gaws (on other newer cars) are just that many more things to go wrong, and aren't useful anyway.

Cheers,

PH

Last edited:

starjays

TDI
2000 NB 5MT
Almost getting 50 mpg with quite a bit of city driving mixed with my standard commute is just stellar. I commute ~90 miles 5 days a week round trip (about to add an additional 50/wk when grad school starts in 2 weeks) so the fuel economy is the big reason.

But the other reason is, almost every day when I'm approaching the town I work in after a 45 min drive down the 4-lane at 75 mph or so, I find myself wishing I could just keep on going for another few hours.

And now for the TMI bit...stopped to relieve myself on a gravel road on my way to work this morning (overdid the coffee...Monday) and did so while standing at the front of the car while it was running. The engine sounds so effing good, like a symphony I tell ya.

Anyway, I've dumped thousands on suspension and turbo into this thing and still don't have a working AC. Plus my hands, wrists and forearms are all scabbed-up as I write this from tearing apart the dash to fix the blend door before this winter. And I think my ridiculously amazing ex-gf broke-up with me earlier this year because of how much money and time I was plowing into this car. That and a few other things...

But I still love driving it, rust and all.

And I'm aware I have issues. But I spent all my therapy money on bug repairs, so, you know, what can you do...

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I just drug another one home recently.

I now have:

1999.5 Golf 200k miles

2000 Golf 330k miles

2000 Golf 540k miles

:D

I also found a good home for a 2001 Jetta with 340k miles on it last week.

RallySport

TDI
2002 Golf TDI ALH
Buying a MK4 Golf was the best purchase I'VE EVER MADE IN MY LIFE

I bought my 02 Golf ALH with 192,000 miles on her.

I commute 70 miles round trip to work making atleast 43-50mpg.

I've tuned the car, put Billstien TC Struts on the front, SB STAGE 2 Endurance clutch, axle bushings in rear, timing belt at 200k, 2.5 downpipe and exhaust...

People drool over my car, when i start her up it turns heads :)

ILL TAKE MY GOLF OVER ANY NEW CAR.

If my golf ever dies, im buying another ALH car.

I want my girlfriend to buy an ALH.

I've never driven a car that is so much fun that makes this great of mileage.. I see guys in their jacked up diesel trucks and i just laugh while i pass them at the gas stations!! ahahaha

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
The seats were replaced in 2007 with Recaros. It seemed like an extravagance at the time, but now I can't imagine spending so many hours a day in an OE Golf seat. The front passenger seat is like new, as it is stored in the house, but the driver's seat is a bit ripped up. Still comfortable, though.

FYI, the lower portions of the seat (cushion & cover) are not R/L or Drivers/Pass specific, so you could repalced the lower section of your current seat with either your "like new" passenger seat stored in the house, or by buying 1 used. Heck even swapping them usually makes an improvement.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Can I post if I don't own TDI's anymore? Well, I am going to anyway. My TDI habit started in August 2002.

I was at the time driving my MB 240d manual trans daily and looking for something safer for merging in traffic. Went to Baron VW in KC, test drove a brand new red GLS TDI 5 speed manual Jetta and bought it. I put around 350k miles on that car, 250k of which were with 17/22, outrageous tune, etc. Loved that car. FF to Christmas Eve 2016, had been looking for a 335d for months, found one with 50k miles and purchased it. Driving my Jetta for work January 2017 I had an injector start streaming 100 miles from nowhere and melted down cylinder 2. I wrestled with whether to fix the Jetta or not, I decided not to because fender rust was coming back, clear coat was going, and the 335d made me so happy.

Over the years I have owned several dozen TDI's. My daughter learned to drive in an 02 TDI Jetta 01m, once she was comfortable I did a 5 speed swap and taught her to drive manual. She has had a TDI Golf, 2 different Jettas, and a Passat with 5 speed conversion. If it weren't for owning my first TDI I wouldn't have met such a good friend in Richard (CoolAirVW) at a local get together.

The ALH platform has truly changed my life, even though I no longer own one. My original Jetta was resurrected by Richard and has been back on the road for quite a while in the hands of a new owner.

~TDIguy~

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan
Theres lots of reasons. would hate to leave the TDI family for one. Nothing pulls like a tdi, and with as good fuel economy.. Sure, its not as luxurious as the new cars but id almost rather drive my mk4 than a new car, especially if it was another brand. Nearly zero depreciation. Where else can you pay 5k$ for a car, run it for several years maintain it a bit and sell for the same money? I gotta admit too that I have some spite for Prius and nothing like pulling over in front of them and giving a bit of fog...;):D

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I got a used set in OK enough condition last December. Felt a little awkward at first, almost as if the lumbar support was too high and aggressive, but after awhile I realized it was forcing me into a proper posture and my back has not felt this good in a long time. Never had a car seat do that.

After a long drive or road trip, my back almost feels better than when it started thanks to those seats!

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I spent a long time looking at other cars out there, but I didn't want parking sensors, lane control sensors, the ability of someone to wirelessly take control of my car, and all of the other weirdness that's going on in modern cars. Frankly, there was just nothing out there that would get me diesel-like torque and driving range, that I could work on myself, and was reliable, without spending at least $25k for something used.

So I dumped a bunch of money into my old car, and with the exception of bogging off the line, a problem that's been going on for over two years now, she runs perfectly, and I KNOW her. The car is mine; I chose the parts and put a lot of it together myself.

Didn't want to spend the money, but it was that or saving up twice again that amount and then some on something I probably wouldn't be satisfied with. Now, had I had the funds, an A6 S-line turbodiesel would have been FUN. :)

caideN

TDI
02 Jetta Wagon TDI
I know what you mean by dumping money into the old car and knowing its good to go. Matt-98AHU brought my car back into shape! The old wagon's life span is now extended

MojoVlad

TDI
04 Jetta
My son had a 01 Jetta a few years ago, I’ve always liked VWs, owned a couple beetles and bus years ago, but I really liked driving his TDI and really liked the fuel mileage he was getting. Last winter I had a little bit of cash saved up and had been wanting a TDI for a commuter/Family vacation trip car for a while. I found a great deal on an 04 Jetta in December, it needed some work and I decided that even though I have always worked on my own cars(used to be a Jeep guy) I would take the car to the local guru, I don’t know much about diesels and there was enough in the budget to just drop it off and get the necessary repairs done. Got everything repaired within my original budget, including a new clutch. I felt great about buying a car with a very scary 385,000 miles, but it is a diesel. Apparently it didn’t like the healthy feeling of being all clean so it spun a rod bearing, my now $3200 investment was worth about $500 after 6 months, but the car is in great shape and fun to drive, so I had to make the tough decision to cut my losses or invest more, I like the car and the mileage is so much better than my old Honda, I invested another $2400 in buying an engine with 139,000 and having the local guru replace the timing kit, hoses and belts and install it, I’m hoping to become more educated and motivated to do more work on my own, but I still think the fuel savings are worth the investment.

Last edited:

Twitch

TDI
2003 gls jetta tdi 5 speed
tornadoRed I have a 2003 jetta with the alh I thought the odometer stopped at 620xxx or something like that, or is that for the earlier cars? did your odometer stop and your just calculating how many miles you have on it with the trip?

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tornadoRed I have a 2003 jetta with the alh I thought the odometer stopped at 620xxx or something like that, or is that for the earlier cars? did your odometer stop and your just calculating how many miles you have on it with the trip?
This photo was taken before the odometer was rolled back, by exactly 400k miles.

And this one taken afterward.

If the odometer ever reaches 600k miles again, then the actual number of miles will be one million. (roughly)

nitec

Vendor
TDI
1.9TDi PD
I've gone through approximately 12-15 MK4s (both Golf/GTI and Jetta) to date including my first 2.slow (never again), a few 1.8Ts when I was younger and a whopping number of TDIs both ALH and BEWs...I have always loved the design of the cars and even now driving my German import TDi 4motion Golf Estate I can't believe how timeless the interior is....as far as I`m concerned the MK5 is a step backwards in interior and exterior design and I can't stand the current line of interiors...my Gen 1 Tiguan interior (similar to a MK5 and later) reminds me of a cheap Corolla and bothers me every time I sit inside...add the fact that I can now find the MK4 TDis at the junk yard fairly consistently (in the last few years engines would disappear overnight) and I can have spare motors for anywhere between 50-200$ and there's no reason to ever move away from a MK4...parts are cheap and readily available and the cars are actually still nice...oh and we can now legally import 4MO versions to Canada, which is AWESOME!

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I bought a new 13 TDI Passat 6m to replace my 04 Jetta. The idea was to keep the Jetta as a play toy and further modify it and use the Passat as a daily. Even after customizing the Passat (front lip, rear spoiler, lowered, 19" wheels, lighting upgrades), it just didn't have the same feel as the Jetta. I was on the fence on doing engine upgrades when the buyback happened. Couldn't resist $500 more that I paid new so the Jetta went back to daily duty (until I ripped the differential out of it).

I've had a 2000 2.0, 2dr Golf, 2000 VR6 GTI (tropic orange!!!), 98 Beetle TDI, 04 Jetta TDI and the 03 wagon TDI (all manuals). I stock many parts for them and pretty well know them inside and out.

But I gotta tell ya - the BRM powered 06 Jetta I just worked on had some nice get up and go and the timing belt is cake!

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
In about 2008 we bought our first TDI. It was a 2002 Jetta. Somewhere around 2010/2011 she hit a deer with it and it was totaled. Trying to replace it was an exercise in frustration anything in our price range was gobbled up in no time. So we bought a brand new 2011 Jetta. Three years later I asked the question if we could by a new one with the same payments. As a result we have a 2014. Last fall I was finally paid some money owed me after about 7 years so I went and ought two more. Both 2001's. One was thoroughly neglected (636) and the other one is waiting to be converted to a manual (140).

In slowly going through 636 and fixing up all the little things all while using it as a daily driver. For me it's a toss up as the which car to drive any where. I just really enjoy driving the 01 but the 14 is a bit more comfortable and has more jam. Once I feel comfortable with the reliability of 636 I'll be taking it on 5-6 hour trips.

The more I work on these cars the more I like them. They are comfortable, quiet and fun to drive and just all around great vehicles to use for transportation. Also add all of the previous reasons that every poster has mentioned.

Twitch

TDI
2003 gls jetta tdi 5 speed
Nitec im still learning about these cars slowly what mk4’s came with 4motion and manual? i dont think i would ever get rid of my alh 5 speed jetta but if a mk4 jetta or passat 4mo 5 speed came up i would defiantly have jump on that.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Nitec im still learning about these cars slowly what mk4’s came with 4motion and manual?

For this market just the Audi TT quattro and the Golf R32.

Europe got an AWD option in pretty much everything except maybe the NB.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Nitec im still learning about these cars slowly what mk4’s came with 4motion and manual? i dont think i would ever get rid of my alh 5 speed jetta but if a mk4 jetta or passat 4mo 5 speed came up i would defiantly have jump on that.
There is a guy just over the border importing half cuts of 6sp PD150 4motion golfs, jettas and wagons legally (https://www.facebook.com/AWDTDI/). Good deal of welding to graft the rear floorpan, but your other choices are what oilhammer mentioned and that'd only get your the correct rear portion. The R32 trans won't bolt up and the TT has bad gearing.
The only thing stopping me from doing it is that I have a south bend clutch and a 3" Kerma downpipe in my Jetta that aren't compatible with the 6sp trans.

Last edited:

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
I got a used set in OK enough condition last December. Felt a little awkward at first, almost as if the lumbar support was too high and aggressive, but after awhile I realized it was forcing me into a proper posture and my back has not felt this good in a long time. Never had a car seat do that.
After a long drive or road trip, my back almost feels better than when it started thanks to those seats!
What model Recaro do you have?

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Bought my mkiv bew wagon with some of my buyback money (used the rest to pay off consumer debt and pay for a wedding). I drive 20k miles a year and just can't see putting that's many miles on something newer so quickly. Also as others have said, I have no car payment and even if I make one or two major repairs a year I'm still paying less then 2-3 months of the average car payment. When I was laid off late last year not having a car payment was a big part of the reason I was able to get by just fine and take a pay cut for a way less stressful position in my career field. .

Is my car rough around the edges? It's 14yo old so of course it is. It leaks, it rattles, its cranky in the winter time, and the interior has seen better days. But I love it. It's perfect for my 140mi round trip commute 14 days a month and with the 5spd swap even driving slow (it does have 255k miles on it so I try to have some mechanical sympathy) on the back road portion of my drive is engaging and fun. I had to put some money into it (brake booster and tandem pump went bad last year and thanks for crappy roads over the winter it blew a steering rack not too long ago) but for a car of this vintage some issues are inevitable. Thankfully I have a VW/Audi junkyard 1 mile from my apartment and a guru not far from where I work for bigger repairs.

I'll probably have this commute for another two years after which I'm hoping to be at a different point in my career (helicopter based EMS rather then ground base currently). I'll be coming up on 290-300k miles and may start thinking about replacing it but if I can't find something might just send it to a guru and have him rehab it top to bottom for another several hundred thousand miles.

Last edited:

kingtut73

TDI
2004 jetta TDI
I've only owned Mk4s the last few years. I was a Mk3/B4 guy before that. The mk4 is worlds more refined, smoother, quieter, easier to mod, doesn't leak so much, door handles and window regulators don't break so frequently.. I mean, mk4 regulators used to break all the time, but they've gotten that well sorted.
Mk4s for me are at that sweet spot. I'm cheap. I'd much rather purchase a car for next to nothing due to its age and neglect and then treat it as a blank canvas to make it whatever I want. Most of it is bound to be tired, so make the suspension awesome, put in better seats, more modern factory radio with bluetooth and other more modern features, upgrade the engine and clutch and motor on.
It's also that sweet spot of it has just enough convenience features and tweakability without being too overly reliant on a centralized computer system for the electronics. It was the start of things heading that direction, but before it got so crazy that even light bulbs had to pass through a computer's control. The wiring diagrams are also much easier to trace due to this reason. Less "factory magic" voodoo happening and I can easily trace power and ground sources for most things.
Plus, out here at least, they are plentiful in Pick n Pulls for a cheap source of all kinds of parts to make your car better.
Most of the mechanical work on these cars is also pretty simple and easy to do, maybe partly because I've done it all so repeatedly on mk4s.
Sure, newer cars have a superior chassis and better interiors and more features, but these just have that combination of being still decent in all those departments, but at the same time simpler to deal with.
Pretty Much!!!!!! Sent you an email today I need your help ASAP.