Fender subwoofer, can it be used in other cars?

GyroRon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Not sure where to post this on this forum, but one of the cars I plan to sell back to VW has the fender audio system in it.

It appears to have some kind of powered subwoofer thats mounted to the bottom of the shelf in the trunk.

I am not sure if its even possible, but I would like to explore the possibility of removing it and installing it in the car I already bought to replace my TDI ( 2014 Camry SE )

Does anyone here have first hand info on the fender system and if it would be something I could somehow rig up to work in my camry?

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 BRM 5-Speed, 2013 Golf TDI 6-Speed, 2011 Golf TDI 6-Speed
Is the fender subwoofer a factory option?

If so you shouldn't remove it as then you don't really have premium audio.

Also this would be better tried than asked. I don't see many people discussing camry in the tdi forum.

BuyMeBackSoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf
I would suspect you could use it in another car. I doubt VW will check to see that the sub is still in the car. Cheating a cheater, might be poetic. I'd love to rip the entire Dynaudio system out of my car, it is awesome.

GyroRon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Was hoping to get more responses than I did.

Yeah I am not worried about pulling the subwoofer out of the car. I doubt they would notice and from what I hear, the cars are going to be crushed anyways. There is plenty of talk about people planning to strip the cars down to just a frame and engine before they turn them in, so a missing subwoofer isn't really a big deal.

Guess I can always go out to the trunk with a screwdriver and some wire nippers and take it out and see what I can do with it.... Just wanted to see if anyone knew more about it before I mess with it.

Tgilb2007

TDI
mk6 Jetta TDI
Was hoping to get more responses than I did.

Yeah I am not worried about pulling the subwoofer out of the car. I doubt they would notice and from what I hear, the cars are going to be crushed anyways. There is plenty of talk about people planning to strip the cars down to just a frame and engine before they turn them in, so a missing subwoofer isn't really a big deal.

Guess I can always go out to the trunk with a screwdriver and some wire nippers and take it out and see what I can do with it.... Just wanted to see if anyone knew more about it before I mess with it.
Before getting payouts and etc, I doubt that VW won't have a dealer inspect the car when turning it in. I believe that there may be a final adjustment at the dealership for the condition of the car.

Also, there is a fix that I think is being submitted to CARB / EPA, involving new software and a larger catalytic converter. The cars aren't being immediately crushed, the ECU's are being pulled while the cars are stored, pending a fix. Some probably won't hit the resale market (age, miles, etc), but I'd imagine that, if they have a fix approved sometime around the 1st quarter of 2017, you'll see used TDI's popping up at dealers.

Also, its only VW that won't sell the TDIs. Any non-VW dealer would more than likely have them available used still, provided people totally derp this up, and trade it in to a non-VW dealer during the whole "fix".

digdug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi
My Fender subwoofer buzzes - plastic enclosure probably mostly to blame on that. I'm not sure I'd want to put it in another car.

It does sound good but nothing I'd want to move to another vehicle's stock system.

GyroRon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
DiGDUG, back in " The day " my vehicles always had a nice sony head unit and a big amp and a custom made speaker enclosure with a pair of 12's or 15's or at least 10's and you could hear me " Drop that bass " a mile away....

Last car that I did that with was my 1993 toyota pick up... back in 1993. Sold that truck for a 1994 Nissan king cab truck, in 1994 and never upgraded the radio ( was tired of the worry back then of someone breaking into vehicles and stealing the system out of it ) Haven't had anything that " Bumps " since that 93 toyota.

I bought this 2012 Jetta just to make a little profit on this buyback situation and didn't even know it had a subwoofer. just discovered it when I was messing with the radio settings and turned up the volume on a song with alot of bass and I was surprised the radio was kicking out some boom! Looked in the trunk and saw it has some kind of subwoofer mounted under the shelf in the trunk.

Sure it probably isn't the clearest or best choice for a good speaker set up to add to another vehicle, but If I could just unscrew it and unplug it, and 1. the radio system in the jetta still work, just without the bump from the sub and 2. there would be some kind of simple easy way to hook up the speaker to work with the camrys radio.... I would like to switch it between my cars. I am not worried about a inspection at turn in and them noticing the speaker is missing.

digdug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi
ahh yes - "back in the day" !!! I was a stupid kid - it was 1989 I had a Mustang GT : kicker SS15 in the hatch. what a POS but it << pounded >> .
Whats interesting is I had an a/d/s PQ10 which fed 90Wx2 to that kicker thing and it was way more awesome than nowadays 600x1 alpine pdx amp in my Jeep Wrangler.

Anyway: if you put that fender sub in another car, that other vehicle will need supplemental power. I dont think it'll sound good at all if you just splice into rear fill speaker leads.

as I get older I dont see the need for BOOM BOOM anymore :) but good sound yes. aint it great getting older !

GyroRon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
I figured I would might need to run a power lead to it, but didn't know how it would get the signal.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
My Fender subwoofer buzzes - plastic enclosure probably mostly to blame on that. I'm not sure I'd want to put it in another car.

It does sound good but nothing I'd want to move to another vehicle's stock system.
Yup. It's a budget subwoofer in an economy car. I wouldn't want to put it in another vehicle.

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
Not sure where to post this on this forum, but one of the cars I plan to sell back to VW has the fender audio system in it.

It appears to have some kind of powered subwoofer thats mounted to the bottom of the shelf in the trunk.

I am not sure if its even possible, but I would like to explore the possibility of removing it and installing it in the car I already bought to replace my TDI ( 2014 Camry SE )

Does anyone here have first hand info on the fender system and if it would be something I could somehow rig up to work in my camry?
It should work it's just a speaker the amp for the fender system is under the drivers seat and that is were the sub is attached