The "What did you do to your B5 passat today" thread...

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
well, it's kinda my Passat, well, the original engine for it anyway, engine on a stand, did the b/s delete, new rear main, new front cover, installed the head and then realized the crank sprocket was cracked when it spit the chain and sprocket through the front cover. Sat I"ll install the cam, drop the engine in a 2004 along with the rebuilt torque converter, new engine mounts etc and hopefully be making smoke by next weekend.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Not on my passat, but did an auto to manual conversion on a Jetta this weekend:

Video: (If anybody knows how to embed this let me know)
https://youtu.be/lGKjAInO9J4

Might record the next passat I do too.

Last edited:

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Or should I say, what happened to my Passat today... Rock from dump truck decides to impact my windshield. I was in the left lane doing 70 in a 65 and a dump truck is on my tail. So I pull to the right lane (which I was going to do any way) and he roars past me and the flipping rock hit like a rifle. Glass even sprayed on dash. Gets replaced Tommorow.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mind you I was in a 65 zone and this moron was pushing it as I myself was doing 68 for sure. I am calling the company as it is local and no.2 I have the license plate. I may not get anything out of it, but I am going to have fun being somewhat nasty and upset. My spleen will be vented...

Last edited:

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well as it turns out the company is honest and ethical. They are asking me to forward them photographs. They also asked me to fax them the invoice to them from the repair.

Sometimes good things happen. An extra thank you to Alchemy for sage advice he gave me on my facebook page!

pyroman

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon TDI
Replaced the tie rod assemblies this weekend. Got rid of most of the slop in the steering wheel. I guess the control arms are up next!

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Replaced the tie rod assemblies this weekend. Got rid of most of the slop in the steering wheel. I guess the control arms are up next!
I will be doing this shortly with adjustable uppers, lowers, tie rods and swaybar links.

Not looking forward to it.:D

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I will be doing this shortly with adjustable uppers, lowers, tie rods and swaybar links.

Not looking forward to it.:D
It is a job, but my tech told me the biggest bugger were the pinch bolts. Spray some penetration oil on them a few days before the job. It may result in fewer curse words during the install. I just had shocks and a control arm kit installed. Today I cleaned and then lubed my sunroof tracks using the expensive special vw grease.

goody705

TDI
'05 Passat TDI Wagon
Front pads and rotors this weekend. Pretty painless, just took my time.

Wanted to post pics of the splices in the TCU harness I resoldered but can't remember where I saved them.

goody705

TDI
'05 Passat TDI Wagon
Headlight restore this weekend, $20 and some time went a long way, they look like new. Also cleaned caliper sensor plugs from post above to try and clear warning light.

pyroman

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon TDI
Changed the tranny fluid and filter. Not a bad job overall, just a little messy with spilled fluid.

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
You can polish headlights all you want, but they will only look good for roughly 6-8 months and they will need to be sanded and polished again.
in my experience, you can wet sand them and polish them no more than twice as the headlight lens becomes thin and starts to show small pits / indentations.
My buddy is a body repair man and he professionally wet sanded and professionally polished my Toyota Sequoia headlights twice. I eventually had to replace them with new.
I did install the TYC brand ( Chinese) headlights in my Sequoia. I had to send one back for a replacement, because the adjusters failed. Eventually I got them to work properly, but its kind of hit or miss in terms of Chinese aftermarket quality.

I decided to install new OEM VW headlights in the Passat from 1stVWparts.com.
You should remove the front bumper cover to install them. Factory OEM costs more money , but you get headlights that fit perfectly.

I am also using the 35% brighter Sylvania Silverstar bulbs (Blue/grey) package with good results. Much brighter than stock and they last.
Silverstar ULTRA series ( copper package) burns out too fast as they get very hot.

Tail lights -- You cannot buff them out to look decent. The red part is behind the lenses and no matter how much you sand and polish they always look dull.
I purchased a new pair for my wagon from ECS Tuning. They are price point TYC ( Taiwan Made) tail lights, but I got a good set and they look nicely.
Good value and the car looks like new again.

FYI - The driver's side rear tail light is a real pain to install, because the lower outer 8mm nut is behind that black plastic tray.
I actually used a large "step up" drill bit, in my compact size Dewalt 1/4" impact driver. The small size of the Dewalt impact fits inside the plastic tray horizontally and you can drill out a pretty good sized hole. This is the fastest and safest way to bore out a big hole through the plastic tray and gain access to the 8mm nut.

Its also a pretty good idea to also replace ALL of your tail light bulbs with brand new bulbs while you are in there working , because it takes time to yank it apart and put it back together. If anyone wants to purchase my old 2005 Wagon taillights; make me a fair offer. They work and function perfectly fine with no cracks or damage. Simply faded from the sun.

Last edited:

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Cover those new or polished headlights with clear film and they will stay clear a lot longer...same for the foglights only it will protect them from cracking or bulls eyes.

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
Replaced the MAF yesterday. Seems to run better, no more black smoke when I start off.
I installed a re-manufactured Bosch unit. $100.00.
Now to get a replacement fog light cover... hit a piece of truck tire that removed it for me...
d

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
I don't think there is a replacement foglight cover...just a new foglight. Another good reason to use clear or yellow film on them. Not sure it would help with truck tire impacts.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Replaced the MAF yesterday. Seems to run better, no more black smoke when I start off.
I installed a re-manufactured Bosch unit. $100.00.
Now to get a replacement fog light cover... hit a piece of truck tire that removed it for me...
d
Interesting - post up if you see any difference in fuel economy.

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
I don't think there is a replacement foglight cover...just a new foglight. Another good reason to use clear or yellow film on them. Not sure it would help with truck tire impacts.
Sorry, not the actual glass, the plastic grill housing that goes around it is what I need. Found one on e-pay... hopefully its the right one!
d

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Replaced the coolant tee on the back of the head. What a PITA! It would have been much easier if my hands were the size of a ten year old's...

Last edited:

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
This little goody showed up from accross the pond:

Also putting this on a customer's car: