O.K. to disconnect my battery?

fgbrault

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan
I am not going to be driving my TDI for 5 weeks 2 days. I plan to disconnect the battery so there will be no drain from the locking system on it. When I reconnect it, assuming it holds enough of charge, is the likely to be any problems? Thanks.

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
Fuel mileage will suffer due to the computer re-learning.

Two or so tanks and it's back to normal.

I left mine for a month (didn't disconnect battery) and everything was ok.

50mikey

TDI
2010 TDI Sedan
I am unsure about how long it will take the car to re-learn. But when I deployed I just disconnect my battery and let it sit. Might not be the right thing to do but on my 1971 chevy pickup did it for 12 months came back and it fired right up. Did it on my 1990 5.0 mustang and 2005 Audi S4 for 9 months and they both fired right up with no issues. No jumping or re-charging included.

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
These cars sit longer than that in dealer lots, airports, and parking garages all the time.

No need to disconnect the battery

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
If it is not located in a secure area, you may want to consider the possibility of theft. If you remove the battery and put it in a different location from your car, it makes it more difficult to steal.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
These cars sit longer than that in dealer lots, airports, and parking garages all the time.
No need to disconnect the battery
+1
Unlike older gassers listed above, TDI chocked full of ECMs. From experience numerous codes will trigger; some will clear upon driving, others will require VCDS.

Hurst89

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Pkg 0 5spd TDI
Your electric assist steering will have to relearn for a few miles (usually it does it on its own) and that is also part of the traction control, so don't be surprised if those two lights are on for the first little bit after starting back up.

Hurst

fgbrault

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan
Thanks to everyone for your comments. As it turns out I need to leave the battery connected, as someone will have to move it during the period I won't be using it.