www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old November 2nd, 2007, 20:14   #1
a320drvr

Fuel Economy: 60/48.9/38
Angry 2005.5 TDI won't start.

Here is a tale of whoa! I bought a 2005.5 TDI w/manual trans in July 2005. I love the car, but now don't know if the car will start when I insert the key. Performed all services/oil changes per the service manual. Here is a chronological history of the repairs.

The car ran great for 46268 miles. The car then got extremely anemic and was smoking quite alot. Took it back to the dealer and got the car back after 4 weeks with a new EGR/MAF. VW just can't get their parts inventory act together. I even offered to pick up the part in Germany, fly it back myself, and of course they couldn't do this. 4 months later (55000+) the car died on my wife waiting for a left turning car. She finally got it over to the side of the road, but it would not restart. Had it towed into the dealer (different one) and they said the Turbo had seized and replaced. Luckily it was still under the powertrain warranty. The car drove great until 58463 miles at which time it would not start again. The car turns over, but will not catch (same as the previous start problem). The dealer now says it is the injectors and are replacing them. The problem is I'm running out of powertrain warranty, plus the inconvience of not having a car (although I love riding the Bimmer motorcycle, but it's getting cool in CO), and lastly,not confident the car will start and provide reliable transportation. I am almost ready to trade the car in, but would love to keep it if reliable. Can anyone give me some ideas as to what the real problem is or should I dump the car?

Thanks RJ
a320drvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 22:12   #2
Driver_found
Veteran Member

Clogged fuel filter? Bad fuel from same source as the first time?

I also seem to recall a problem with a flapper door in the air intake stream someplace. You may want to a do a search, but some of the early cars had this issue.

-Mike

2005.5 A5 Jetta TDI 5m RC 1++

Last edited by Driver_found; November 2nd, 2007 at 22:15.
Driver_found is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 22:18   #3
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

What is the regular maintence history of the car?
Old November 3rd, 2007, 08:18   #4
a320drvr

I have performed all the maintenance at the VW dealership according to the maintenance schhedule in operators handbook. All other maintenance has to do with the starting problem or the acceleratioin problem. I have gotten fuel at different station, but they maybe under the same distributor. I did ask if anyone had previously had problems with bad fuel. None was indicated. They sell enough diesel as to keep a fresh batch in the tanks. I changed the fuel filter during the recommended replacement interval.

Performed a search of this site for cars that won't start and found a link to MK4 series VW's. They stated that the valve that sticks is not found on the new VW's, but will check when I get my car back from the dealer on monday.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 11:54   #5
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I believe that if the problem is reported under warranty and not fixed, it is continuing even after the warranty expires. Check this though.
Old November 5th, 2007, 17:10   #6
wrenchman30
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43 best befor egr much better now

all injectors just dont go bad at once. especially with low mileage, sounds like a fuel supply problem.
wrenchman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 18:34   #7
a320drvr

My thoughts exactly after the first experience. I thought and brought up the lack of fuel, but was told this was ruled out.

Talked to the service rep today about the car. He told me the new injectors were in ($3800.00). Is this for real? He also told me the VWOA tech service desk told them to perform a compression check prior to replacing the injectors and to also replace the glow plug module. I will update the saga when I get some more information.