failing fuel pump?

milktree

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen, 2004 Jetta Wagon (sold!)
I think I have a failing fuel pump, but I'm not 100% sure.

Clues/symptoms/info:

- 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI, ≈73k miles
- Sounds like a computer CPU or power supply fan with failing bearings.
- The sound comes from somewhere behind the front passenger seat, maybe under the back passenger seat. I can't tell exactly (because I'm driving when I hear it)
- It gets worse when the engine is under increased load, like when I accelerate or go up a hill, and gets quieter or goes away when I coast.
- It gets worse when I hit a dip in the road, like when you shake a small motor with a bad bearing.
- It's not something rubbing on the wheel.

The car is still under warranty (I bought it in December as a Certified Pre-Owned) for another year and 10 months, so I'm going to have the dealer fix it; but I'd like to have some knowledge for when they say something like, "They all do that."

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
pull seat up to listen carefully. Pump should be consistantly a low hum, regardless of load, fuel level, etc. A older weaker battery could account for maybe a slight sound variation, but not much.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Run an output test of the pump itself, easiest quickest way to pin point the sound, if you then hear it, feel free to pull the seat and peak see.

Otherwise if you have a warranty, make a trip to the dealer and be prepared for them to tell you they all do that and send you on your way and let it fail in your driveway/or on the side of the road.

milktree

Veteran Member
TDI
Run an output test of the pump itself, easiest quickest way to pin point the sound, if you then hear it, feel free to pull the seat and peak see.

Otherwise if you have a warranty, make a trip to the dealer and be prepared for them to tell you they all do that and send you on your way and let it fail in your driveway/or on the side of the road.

That is exactly the problem I'm trying to avoid. :(

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
The lift pump has a different part number, When I replaced mine, there were only two in the country. The new pump is very quiet. When you search for part number by your vin, you will find the newest part number. It is the third pump version for our tdi golfs.

milktree

Veteran Member
TDI
The lift pump has a different part number, When I replaced mine, there were only two in the country. The new pump is very quiet. When you search for part number by your vin, you will find the newest part number. It is the third pump version for our tdi golfs.

Is the lift pump the one in the tank?

The one in my car now is either silent, or REALLY LOUD AND CRANKY!

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lift pump is in tank and it should be a low hum like a 60hz ballast no matter fuel level.

milktree

Veteran Member
TDI
Lift pump is in tank and it should be a low hum like a 60hz ballast no matter fuel level.

What about the fuel demand?

Don't answer that. It should be quiet, no matter what.

Better question: Would a failing lift pump make more noise with higher demand?

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
I think I have a failing fuel pump, but I'm not 100% sure.

Clues/symptoms/info:

- 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI, ≈73k miles
- Sounds like a computer CPU or power supply fan with failing bearings.
- The sound comes from somewhere behind the front passenger seat, maybe under the back passenger seat. I can't tell exactly (because I'm driving when I hear it)
- It gets worse when the engine is under increased load, like when I accelerate or go up a hill, and gets quieter or goes away when I coast.
- It gets worse when I hit a dip in the road, like when you shake a small motor with a bad bearing.
- It's not something rubbing on the wheel.

The car is still under warranty (I bought it in December as a Certified Pre-Owned) for another year and 10 months, so I'm going to have the dealer fix it; but I'd like to have some knowledge for when they say something like, "They all do that."

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Regardless of the CPO, that should be 100% covered under Dieselgate warranty so if it's bad, it should be ZERO cost to you.

Good luck!