www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old February 14th, 2020, 12:07   #1
JwTDI212

Fuel Economy: 42
Default Fender Audio Subwoofer Rattle

Apparently this is a common issue, but I have somehow managed to have a different problem from most people.

Essentially the fender woofer on my 2015 jetta tdi is mounted under the rear deck lid in the trunk. People have attributed the rattle of the assembly to many things like the rear brake light, the rear dash itself, among other things in the trunk.

My issue is the bolts holding the subwoofer up (specifically, the two closest to the actual trunk lid. The ones you can see just by opening your trunk.)
These bolts thread in to a washer/nut assembly that gets hammered into pre-drilled holes in the body. As I understand it, this was supposed to make the sub "part of the body" to reduce vibration after vw had such an issue with it in earlier mk6 jettas.
In my case, this washer/nut assembly just spins around in the hole which it was hammered into, no matter if I try to loosen or tighten the bolts. Further, the nut portion of this assembly is not a hex nut that you can grab with a wrench, but rather a smooth cylinder with threads on the inside. I couldn't even get it to hold still with vise-grips. Can anyone offer a solution?

I initially came into this wanting to remove these bolts and replace with a bolt, some rubber washers, and a locknut. Now, I cannot even remove them in order to replace them.

Any ideas as to how I should proceed?
JwTDI212 is offline   Reply With Quote