Ryan P's 02M 6 Speed Tranny Conversions - £1100 inc SHIPPING!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Ryan P's 02M 6 Speed Tranny Conversions

Hi,

I have sold over 100 of these 6 Speed conversions now, so there are a lot of very happy people cruising on the freeway in 6th!

These come with all the items you see in the picture. It is everything you need to upgrade from a 5 Speed Manual to the 6 Speed.

A few more parts are needed to swap out an auto (see below).

5 Speed Manual to 6 Speed Parts list:

02M 6 Speed Gearbox
2 x Drive Shafts
Used Dual Mass Flywheel and Complete Clutch Kit
Gearbox Mount
Dog Bone Mount
Starter Motor
Dust Tins from the Engine
Shifter Mount and End Links
All bolts required (New where needed)

If you need the Linkage Cables, please let me know (mainly needed for 99-00 5 Speed and All Auto cars, as the later 5 speed one will work with the 6 Speed)

The Shifter Knob's and Boots are hard to get in usable condition, I can get them but the kit will be an extra £30.

The price for the complete conversion is £1250, price increase due to the difficulty in sourcing these over here now. Please bear in mind that £300 of the cost is for shipping alone! I have now started to include ALL the bolts required for the conversion, including new bolts where the original are single use only.

I HAVE JUST RECEIVED A DELIVERY OF SOME BRAND NEW PD150 VW/SACHS DUAL MASS FLYWHEEL AND CLUTCH KITS WITH GENUINE VW RELEASE BEARINGS, THE COMPLETE KIT WILL BE £1650 INC SHIPPING WITH THESE.

AUTO TO MANUAL CUSTOMERS

I can supply all the extra parts you require brand new, including the Clutch Pedal Assembly, for £320

Here are the different Subcode ratios to compare:

I can get the ERF easily, DRW's are not too bad but in demand. FMH's are not so common and I have only ever seen a few EFFs!

A new Clutch fluid line is not needed for a 5 to 6 Speed conversion as the stock one works with a little tweaking. If you really want one it's the same on the Gasser 6 speeds you guys actually got, the VW Part number is: 1J1 721 465 AJ. I can get them for £60.

Also bear in mind that if you are converting from a 5 Speed, you will have everything available to sell your old parts as a complete conversion for the Auto guys. I have seen the 5 Speed conversions fetch up to $1000 (Even more in Canada!)

PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT THIS GUIDE BY BOERTJE -

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/517/Boertje_Auto_to_6_spd_manual_swap_and_wiring_instructions.pdf

THANKS JACK!!!!!!!!!

If you want any other Euro Parts please drop me a PM. Anything ordered with a Gearbox will have a reduced price due to lower shipping costs, so please PM if you want to purchase a few different items.

All prices quoted are in £ / GBP / British Pound and INCLUDE SHIPPING to the USA and Canada. For estimated conversion rates, please check http://www.xe.com/. PayPal does give the exact exchange rate when you go to send the payment.
Everything is sent via DHL Express (usually 48hrs) which is tracked all the way with a signature at the end. I have my own 'Goods in Transit' insurance policy so you have nothing to worry about should anything go wrong.

Lead times are 1 – 2 weeks (unless I have what you want in stock, I try and keep a few full conversions in at any one time). Delivery times are normally 24-48hrs across the US, Canada are 48hrs but can be a little longer due to Customs. I've had many of these Gearbox conversions arrive in 24h or less!!
I can take payment by either Wire Transfer or PayPal (5% Extra to cover fees)

Thanks for looking!

Ryan

Last edited:

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Paul, can you remember what it needs setting to?

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
Next summer maybe when the clutch is due. Keep in mind guys the cost of replacing a clutch compared to doing the job with a 6 speed conversion. Wicked price Ryan, will be in contact when the time comes! Also wondering what car they are out of usually? Torque rating on included clutch?

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Oil_Burner - You have a PM.

CGDoig - They are usually out of a Golf/Bora TDI PD115/130/150. The standard clutch will take about 320ish Ft/Lbs but is is all about how you drive it as well!

Cheers

Ryan

Oil_Burner

Veteran Member
Im ready for a new clutch. I dont want to spend the money if Im going to get one of these conversions. What is the condition of the clutch that comes with the kit? How long before Ill need a new clutch (Based on the condition of the kit clutch)

Thanks.

Tom

Dieselfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, red. 1998 Jetta, black. 2002 Golf, black. 2003 Golf, red. 1999.5 Golf, red. 2005 Golf, red.
Ryan P's 02M 6 Speed Tranny Conversions - £1100 inc SHIPPING!! :D

I would say thats an awesome deal

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
Mileage would depend
On the car it came from. As would
Clutch replacement time. Who knows how the previous owner drove the car. Ultimatly tondo the clutch while the tranny is out would be best.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Im ready for a new clutch. I dont want to spend the money if Im going to get one of these conversions. What is the condition of the clutch that comes with the kit? How long before Ill need a new clutch (Based on the condition of the kit clutch)
All the clutches are used, but in good condition. Life expectancy will all depend on how you drive it, but I wouldn't send out a tired clutch, its just not worth it in the long run.

Is 1200 the total price or is the shipping extra?
£1200GBP is the price including shipping.

Ryan P's 02M 6 Speed Tranny Conversions - £1200 inc SHIPPING!! :D

I would say thats an awesome deal
Thanks!

Mileage would depend
On the car it came from. As would
Clutch replacement time. Who knows how the previous owner drove the car. Ultimatly tondo the clutch while the tranny is out would be best.
Thats right, I will always make sure the clutches are in good condition either way. The good thing about having everything apart is you can give it all a good inspection, and change any parts that are needed.

Thanks to everyone that has helped out with the answers, and Tom, I hope that we have answered all your questions fully.

Ryan

Last edited:

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Drop Me a PM with your preferences and i can send over the payment details!

Thanks!

Ryan

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Another happy customer here :).

I love my 6 speed.
There are many out there!! Except me! lol

I need a 6 speed in one of my cars, hypocrite or what?!

thekidfan

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 2DR 5 SPD, 02 Golf 4DR 5 SPD
Can or will you include a list of needed parts when doing a auto to six speed swap? What is current lead time from order till trans is received in the states?
Thank you
Jeff

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your questions. Here are the details for the Auto-6 Speed Swap:

If you need the Linkage Cables, please add another £20 (mainly needed for 99-00 and Auto cars, as the 5 speed one will work with the 6 speed)

Extras required for Auto to Manual Conversion (NOT available from me as UK cars are RHD)

Clutch pedal and bracketry with cruise control cancel switch (blue or black) and safety start switch.
'Optional' Manual brake pedal
Plastic ring that snaps to console for shifter boot
"51" Horn relay
I reused my auto power steering line (bent to work), auto master cylinder (just cut off piece for clutch line)
Lead times are 1 – 2 weeks (unless I have what you want in stock, I try and keep a few full conversions in at any one time). Delivery times are normally 24-48hrs across the US, Canada are 48hrs but can be a little longer due to Customs.
The lead times at the end are worst case, I actually have 4 conversions in stock, ready to go out, so I could have one to you by the end of this week/beginning of next if I got payment today or tomorrow.

Thanks

Ryan

ndamico

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf 2Dr TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2002 Duramax, 2003 Duramax
Thanks again Ryan. i just ordered 2! one for me and one for a friend!

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
They are going out today Nick! You should have them in a couple of days!

Thanks!

Ryan

Whitbread

TDI
Several
They are going out today Nick! You should have them in a couple of days!

Thanks!

Ryan
Greatttttt, I'm going to have more junk laying around :p. I'm already tripping over 6 speeds in the shop haha.

I got the trans from Brad today. I'll pull it apart tonight and let you know what I find. It doesn't want to spin over at all though so I'm thinking lack of oil.

Payment for the 6 speed kit with the new starter will be sent tonight.

ndamico

TDI
2003 Golf 2Dr TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2002 Duramax, 2003 Duramax
Matt,

i have an easy solution for you if you're tired of trippin' over 6-speeds.... throw a peloquin in two of them and send 'em my way and you'll have 2 less to trip on! :)

Whitbread

TDI
Several
Haha, I would love to Nick, but only 1 is mine haha. All the rest are customer owned and are there for lsd installs like yours or part of a upcoming build.

Got the injectors today, I'll pop them in tomorrow and see how they run :)

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Sorry guys but the price of these has had to increase, I’ve swallowed the extra myself for a long time now but the price of a good condition box with history is unreal compared to before!!

I’ve updated he first post with the new price, £1200, a small increase but I will make sure I do the best I can should you order any other parts along with the conversion to cushion the blow!! I've been including a complete new bolt kit which costs me around £50 all in so you guys are still getting a good deal!.

Thanks!!

Ryan

Last edited:

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
I went from Auto to 6 Speed. Best thing I have done to the car to date. Now it is fun to drive.
I've never driven an Auto VW (other than DSG), but from the other Auto's I have driven, I can imagine that it kills all the fun!
I believe the MPG benefits make it pay for itself pretty quickly too! Auto's are known for their poor economy!

Ry

aNUT

TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
I'm going to share my experience with doing this conversion on my own car. Before I delve into details, I'd like to reiterate my pleasure with doing this mod. It works great, and is by far one of the coolest mods I've made.

There are some some minor difficulties I had when installing this transmission swap kit that I didn't anticipate when I first purchased it from Ryan. I'm posting this as this swap become more popular and I think that it's in everyone's best interest to have a bit more knowledge about what's involved so people have a clearer picture of what it entails.

Please bear in mind that Ryan may or may not have been able to catch some of these issues before it was shipped. As such, it not my intention to discourage this modification or discredit Ryan as an honest vendor. It also may be important to consider that I purchased my swap before Ryan's operation was officially...well...official. We all learn as we gain experience.

Positive:

Transmission received as described in a very timely manner for the agreed upon price. No problems whatsoever with the box. Packing was in my opinion very good (although not perfect) read on.

To date, the clutch has given me no issues. The one I got was a used OE replacement unit. (based on X suffix on the part number) I have a lot of other hardware mods (big turbo, exhaust, FMIC, fueling, tuning of course)

Issues:

Missing hardware - I only received half of the bolts that connect the inner CV joint to the drive flange. Not a big deal. 'bout $8 from the dealer for the missing ones. The part number is: N 909 911 02. I'm actually quite impressed that the sourcing salvage yard was able to get me as much stuff as they did.

Worn axles - The axles I received has 3 torn CV boots out of 4. I had the pair of them remanufactued by a local drive shaft shop for about $200. If you're in need of this service, pm me, and I'll refer you. When buying used parts we have to realize that there are some wear items that may or may not be suitable for straight install.

Cracked speed sensor - damaged in shipping. Relatively easy to access with the trans installed in the car, so I installed it as is, and it been working flawlessly for about 2000 miles.

Other feedback:

I'd recommend getting the shift cables as well as the shifter boot. The former mounts slightly differently to the trans than the stock 02J cables. (One of the 3 bolts that attach the end bracket attaches to a stud on the upper rear bell housing to block bolts, while all 3 of the 02J bracket attach directly to the trans) For an extra $30, I'm not going to rig something. The 6 speed boot really completes the mod from an aesthetic standpoint.

I highly recommend the dieselgeek 6 speed short shifter, though I'm sure the factory linkage would work fine.

I highly recommend replacement of the clutch line and slave cylinder. These hydraulics are difficult to access with the trans installed. I opted to go with a LUK slave and an OE line from an '04 GLI 1.8T 02M.

PD cars will need tuning adjustments to maintain cruise control function.

One question:

Is it possible to install the 02M in a MK4 with the subframe in place? I installed mine together when I was installing the engine, so it wasn't a concern of mine.

Last edited:

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Anuthee,

I just thought I should address some of the points you have made, to highlight the changes we have made since you purchased your box, many moons ago...

Please bear in mind that Ryan may or may not have been able to catch some of these issues before it was shipped. As such, it not my intention to discourage this modification or discredit Ryan as an honest vendor. It also may be important to consider that I purchased my swap before Ryan's operation was officially...well...official. We all learn as we gain experience.
Yep, thats right. I think you were one of the first guy to get one from me. As such, there were a few teething issues.
The main cause of problems was the fact that I was getting these shipped direct from a supplier. 9 Time out of 10 they got everything right, but when left in the hands of one particular employee, things got a little 'lax' to say the least.
Now this is my full time job, I personally inspect all the items that are shipped out and make sure that things are fine before they are sent.

Issues:

Missing hardware - I only received half of the bolts that connect the inner CV joint to the drive flange. Not a big deal. 'bout $8 from the dealer for the missing ones. The part number is: N 909 911 02. I'm actually quite impressed that the sourcing salvage yard was able to get me as much stuff as they did.
I normally only ship with the bolts that are not considered single use. I can get all the other bolts (I have a list) direct from VW at good prices, so I have increased the price of the kit, and will include all the bolts required. This issue will have been as I wasn't 'hands-on' at the early stages.

Worn axles - The axles I received has 3 torn CV boots out of 4. I had the pair of them remanufactued by a local drive shaft shop for about $200. If you're in need of this service, pm me, and I'll refer you. When buying used parts we have to realize that there are some wear items that may or may not be suitable for straight install.
Again, something I didn't have control of at the time, but do now. I throw more driveshafts away than I keep. It is not worth the hassle of sending out damaged units. If the problem is a cracked CV boot, I have a good supply of Boots, so change these if there is any doubt.

Cracked speed sensor - damaged in shipping. Relatively easy to access with the engine installed in the car, so I installed it as is, and it been working flawlessly for about 2000 miles.
Something that should not be able to happen now as I ensure that the boxes and all the parts are carefully packed to stop damage during transit.

Other feedback:

I'd recommend getting the shift cables as well as the shifter boot. The former mounts slightly differently to the trans than the stock 02J cables. (One of the 3 bolts that attach the end bracket attaches to a stud on the upper rear bell housing to block bolts, while all 3 of the 02J bracket attach directly to the trans) For an extra $30, I'm not going to rig something. The 6 speed boot really completes the mod from an aesthetic standpoint.

I highly recommend replacement of the clutch line and slave cylinder. These hydraulics are difficult to access with the trans installed. I opted to go with a LUK slave and an OE line from an '04 GLI 1.8T 02M.
All good points and things to be aware of. I have quite a few people who are doing 'how-to' guides for me on the 5 - 6 speed and Auto - 6 Speed Swap, which should highlight all these things, but they are still a little away from been complete.
I do actually include the Shift Cable Mount, as this is the only difference between the later 5 and 6 speed assemblies. The Full shifter assemblies are available for Auto - 6 Speed Swaps and the early 5 Speed Shifter Assemblies.
I only know a handful of people who have used the 6 speed hydraulic line, most just use the standard 5 speed item.

Thanks for posting this up Anuthee.

Ryan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.