Buying a Non-Fixed Gen 1 TDI

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
A non-VW dealer near me just got in a few Gen 1 TDI's. Asking price is very cheap. Almost too cheap, like $9,000. Did VWOA put a lot of these out to auction lately? It doesn't appear that they've gotten the fix.

So how does that work? Do I have the option of getting it fixed or not? I don't believe there would be any compensation to me if I get it fixed, correct? I would probably not get it fixed if I had the choice. Of course, if I get it fixed, I get that good emissions warranty.

Anything else I should be thinking about if I decided to pursue one of these?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
There is no money left on the table. You can still get the fix, just no money for doing it. Yes the warranty is still intact.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
There is no money left on the table. You can still get the fix, just no money for doing it. Yes the warranty is still intact.

So, is there any reason to get the fix? I suppose it would get me the warranty on all the emissions parts, but OTOH, I'd have diminished performance and mpg. No reliable data on the latter.

Is there a deadline to get the fix done on a purchased non-fixed Gen 1 car, or will VWOA do it whenever I want, if I want?

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
The trade off is simple at this point. In exchange for what is generally reported as a hit in short trip mileage and accelerator response, you get a long warranty on most of the mechanical parts. It seems like a pretty good trade-off to me, but only you can know for yourself.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The loss of mpg and/or performance may or may not be an issue. Some have reported worse, some better and most, no change. The warranty covers quite a bit to include all emissions equipment, engine, turbo, hpfp and more. If you are interested in that do it. You may be forced to do it anyway if you have an issue as I don't think they will be allowed or want to stock old parts for emissions. This was in the settlement docs. I think you can get it upgraded whenever you want, but don't see the reason behind waiting.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Check CarFax. If last record says Titled to Manufacturer in Michigan, then this dealer will not get titles from VW until they do the fix.

They probably got them from a VW dealer that didn't know this.

Wait time on title is 30-60 days from VW so they can exchange hands without titles as its common in the wholesale market.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
Check CarFax. If last record says Titled to Manufacturer in Michigan, then this dealer will not get titles from VW until they do the fix.

They probably got them from a VW dealer that didn't know this.

Wait time on title is 30-60 days from VW so they can exchange hands without titles as its common in the wholesale market.

I believe they got them from one of the VWOA auctions. So, if a non-VW dealer buys a TDI from a VWOA auction, they're obligated to do the fix? That wasn't my understanding.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
The loss of mpg and/or performance may or may not be an issue. Some have reported worse, some better and most, no change. The warranty covers quite a bit to include all emissions equipment, engine, turbo, hpfp and more. If you are interested in that do it. You may be forced to do it anyway if you have an issue as I don't think they will be allowed or want to stock old parts for emissions. This was in the settlement docs. I think you can get it upgraded whenever you want, but don't see the reason behind waiting.

I think you're probably right, makes sense to get the fix done and get all the warranty protection. It's not like people are reporting horrible performance/mpg results after the fix. As you said, in general, not a significant change from original.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Just pop the hood and look for the emissions stickers. There seem to be more and more coming out to auction but I thought that VW had to fix them before they could go back for resale. That maybe only if a VW dealer is selling them.

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I'm almost positive VW had to have any that were bought back fixed prior to reselling them. How do you know they don't have fixes?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I'm almost positive VW had to have any that were bought back fixed prior to reselling them. How do you know they don't have fixes?
On some like my Beetle there was a part one and part two. They were allowed to sell after doing part one (new old stock). Maybe the same for the buy backs.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Although the OP didn't say exactly which model he was looking he did say gen 1. There was only one fix phase for the gen 1.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
The question is moot now. I just bought a Gen 1 from a VW dealer that was fixed. (2013 Jetta TDI)

Thank you all for your responses.

ytjetta

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG
You can find the status of the fix if you enter the vin in vwdieselinfo.com website...