Intercooler/Hose/Turbo Leak??

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
It's me again ! Ha sorry for the seemingly constant posts about issues with my car, I tend to be OCD as well as my car is getting up there in km's so problems are arising.

Anyway noticed about a nickel sized drop of oil from under the intercooler or lower hose in the front right of my car. As well a minut amount of light oil residue on what i think is the upper hose going to egr. Like barely enough to get your finger dirty, more of a film in a small spot.

At any rate i'm sure im getting blow by on the turbo at 310,000kms on it. Should i be draining the intercooler or anything? That bottom "pancake" hose or whatever has a fair amount of oil on it. I know i'm probably looking at a turbo replacement as some point sooner than later, i mainly want to avoid risking a runaway for the time being. Also what are the indicators that say "replace turbo now!" ??!

My engine oil consumption i don't believe is a lot. Like maybe a litre per 16000km's (10,000miles).... i'd have to double check it may be slightly higher but not by a lot.

Thanks in advance for any insight, i appreciate all you fellow TDI'ers helping me out all the time! I try and help out too and search for posts i may be of aid but i'm still in the learning stages so they are few and far between!! :)

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
I just saw a video of a guy drilling a hole in the intercooler to drain it, then plugging it up with a screw. Does anybody do this??

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
So I drained the intercooler. Got about 1/4 cup of oil out of it. As well here are pics of the oil on hoses....

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

The first is the "pancake" hose, lower hose. Pretty caked in oil, tho that's probably 300k without being touched. The 2nd is the above hose with a bit of residue. I guess my question is what is potentially leaking for the oil to end up in the hose in the first place. As well is the hose itself leaking for oil to end up outside?? And as well Is the 1/4 cup I got from intercooler an excessive amount? I can guarantee that's at least 100,000km worth, probably more. My main concern is a runaway at this point I guess. If anyone has any insight that would be great!!

As well I cleaned all the oil off hoses and will continue to monitor them and oil level.

swanjp26

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
I just saw a video of a guy drilling a hole in the intercooler to drain it, then plugging it up with a screw. Does anybody do this??
Please don't drill it. It's too easy to pull off the lower hose and drain it, to be drilling holes in a perfectly good intercooler. It could leak around the screw, and start whistlin' like dixie. Consider rigging up an Oil catch can, and no more oily IC. They have a bunch of styles on eBay for pretty cheap. I wouldn't normally endorse eBay to buy parts, but probably ok for something like that. You can clean/flush your intercooler as well, there's an article on it in the TDI FAQ on this site.

swanjp26

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI
It sounds like there was a fairly normal amount of oil in the IC. I wouldn't be too worried about a runaway. I'd clean up those pipes while they're off, test 'em for air leaks, and do a thorough inspection for the origin of any oil leaks. IDK how the lower pipe could get so caked! That's all oil and not grease or dirt? Have you had any belly pan or wheel well liners off? Get new hose clamps to put the hoses back on. Check it then every few times its drove, and it should be easier to pin down any leaks since oil won't be coating the whole works :)

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
I would second the motion on not drilling the IC. The last thing you want is to create any potential for future boost leak.

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Please don't drill it. It's too easy to pull off the lower hose and drain it, to be drilling holes in a perfectly good intercooler. It could leak around the screw, and start whistlin' like dixie. Consider rigging up an Oil catch can, and no more oily IC. They have a bunch of styles on eBay for pretty cheap. I wouldn't normally endorse eBay to buy parts, but probably ok for something like that. You can clean/flush your intercooler as well, there's an article on it in the TDI FAQ on this site.
I would second the motion on not drilling the IC. The last thing you want is to create any potential for future boost leak.
I didn't drill it!!! Didn't sound like a good idea.... I just took off the lower hose. Thanks....

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
It sounds like there was a fairly normal amount of oil in the IC. I wouldn't be too worried about a runaway. I'd clean up those pipes while they're off, test 'em for air leaks, and do a thorough inspection for the origin of any oil leaks. IDK how the lower pipe could get so caked! That's all oil and not grease or dirt? Have you had any belly pan or wheel well liners off? Get new hose clamps to put the hoses back on. Check it then every few times its drove, and it should be easier to pin down any leaks since oil won't be coating the whole works :)
Yeah it was quite caked!! It was a mix of dirt and oil. Like layers of build up over time, realistically probably the life of the car.......

No belly pan or wheel liners off that would cake it, is there supposed to be an under cover to protect that hose? Like plastic shield like the belly pan?

Its weird, the oil is only on the pancake hose, as soon as it meets a hose on either side the mess stops........

The other thing is is i do get limp mode from over boost on occasion, if there is a small leak from the pancake hose or wherever could that cause limp mode??

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
So another question. After draining the intercooler of oil should the car be more "peppy"??? Maybe it's just me, but the last day it seems maybe my TDI has a bit more pick up ?? Though i may be imagining things!! :D

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
So it would appear as if the leak is originating where the rubber hose meets the pancake hose on the upper side towards the rear of the car.

Is this a possible hose clamp issue or is there a possibility the hose is damaged? I'm gonna get under and check it out, just wondering if there's a common thing to look for first.......

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
How's a good way to do a leak test? What psi is the pipe under when the turbo is boosting max?