Intercooler hose seal leak

busdrvr

Veteran Member
TDI
09 sportwagen tdi,6spd man. Traded 7/2015 for 14 Allroad.
Saw a few what looked like oil drops on garage floor. Dealer had done oil change and fuel filter about 10 days prior @ ~80K

Closer inspection revealed wet underside of pan and more on inside of engine bay. Suspected faulty plug gasket or filter gasket.

Back to dealer to find an intercooler hose seal is leaking. Lots of fluid throughout. They say they have poor luck just replacing the seal so they replace hose and seal. Charge is 160 for parts and 60 for labor. Scheduled for tomorrow.

Have not seen others on the forum with that issue. Just wondering if anyone else had this issue and what the outcome was for you. Not real familiar with the location of these items and apparently its not uncommon to see oily discharge from these areas. Any feedback appreciated.

Just had the exhaust flap replaced with last oil/fuel too.

gerrywac

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MkV 1.9 TDI Match 105Hp (UK Model)
Leaky sump plug is not uncommon after oil change, there is a soft copper washer that provided the seal. Should be replaced but many don't do it to save a dollar hence the leak.

The hose thing is common on older and high mileage cars. Intercooler hose quick connectors wear with age causing both boost and oil leaks. The current replaceable seals are better than original and can sometimes cure the problem but the metal securing lugs on the hose ends wear out causing leaks or even total disconnect in bad cases

There are no replaceable parts other than the seal so a replacement hose is needed.

The price seems reasonable both parts and labour, about 1hr

Often the hose leak is mild so you notice the oil but not the gradual loss in performance and a small leak will not trigger CEL (check engine light)

You might notice some small increase in performance and fuel mileage

busdrvr

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey thanks for the reply, have not seen this one reported here before. In 50K this is the only out of pocket $ on the car other than oil and filters.

I changed my sons 99 Altima radiator out a week or so ago, but the panel on the vw and its ground clearance prevent me from wanting to work on it. That, and I want to have a good relationship with a dealer in case of the "big one":rolleyes:
HPFP.

As dealers go.. they are pretty fair or so it seems.

ibexlatham

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta TDI 6spd - dead
I'm at 185k and my drivers side intercooler hose has been covered in and oily film for a while now... I've never bothered to change it yet. I've also had it when I pull off the intercooler hose sometimes I'll get a few ounces of oil coming out... but I have not yet had oil drips I've noticed on the garage floor...

I would check and make certain the oil filter cap isnt leaking, it is possible to pinch the o-ring and it would seep under pressure. Also the VW recomends the drain plug be replaced at each oil change, so if they didnt do that it could also come from there.

That being said it is still possible it was caused by the intercooler hose leaking, the clip connectors are known to leak.

And dont be discouraged by the underbody tray, it only has a handful of torx screws holding it on and takes a few minutes to remove for service and inspection.

gerrywac

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MkV 1.9 TDI Match 105Hp (UK Model)
Your welcome to the reply, the intercooler hose connections problem is quite well known but seldom gets mentioned as a problem in itself as it is sometimes a contribitory cause of Boost, Turbo, MAF and mileage issues and these are the ones that get mentioned

I've wned my April 07 Golf TDI for over 4 years now and it's been quite good. It did succumb to the dreaded ASP/ESP pump hydraulic problem aged 4 1/4 but thankfully VW came good with a generous "goodwill" long outside the 3 year warranty, and I only paid 1/4 of the parts and the diagnostic fee. That's where a dealer relationship and full service record often counts

Otherwise I havehad a replacement door mirror indicator that some lowlife broke in a car park and a replacement blown intercooler hose.

Personally I like the motor undertray and the bay side shields, they make for a very clean and tidy motor bay, protect the parts and makes things nicer to work on when needed (much like that on my 1972 Bug!). The twelve torx screws come off quickly as long as you treat them to a little anti-sieze.

My car had obviously had the oil changes done by vacuum extract through the dipstick tube (VW official practice) and the tray not removed over four years as the screws were quite badly seized.

busdrvr

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks All...work is done and I requested to see the offending leaker. Indeed was the drivers side hose at the intercooler. Also examined replacement hose with redesigned clamp/seal. Seems a stretch at $160 but its a VW part. Agree I probably could have done myself as long as no special tools are required.

Fair amount of sludge/debris just below the cnx on the top side of the engine shroud. Never noticed any performance degradation as the leak was minimal.