intercooler icing on the A3?

palewhitemale

TDI
A3
Hey A3 folks. I've been trying to find info on whether or not this intercooler icing problem applies to the A3 as well as the VWs. I can't find instances of it, and in the big intercooler thread 'A3' only appears once, with no reply as to whether or not anybody's seen it.

does anyone know if we should be concerned?

-bill

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I would, you're running the same drive train as the jettas, you just have nose rings on the steering wheel.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
If any of your A3 TDI guys are experiencing intercooler icing issues, please fill out the SURVEY FORM (4 questions) and I will add your info to the MAP of intercooler issues.

Thanks!

palewhitemale

TDI
A3
I would, you're running the same drive train as the jettas, you just have nose rings on the steering wheel.
Ya, great flippant response.

Front end aero comes to mind to start as a significant difference.

I guess I'm really just wondering because I haven't heard of it, and after calling my old dealer in upstate NY to see if they'd been observing it, they indicated that they don't know why their VW dealer sees it, but not their Audi side.

-bill

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
Perhaps Audi drivers drive more spiritedly, any moisture presented in the pipe get cleared out during regular driving so there is not much water left to freeze up.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Perhaps Audi drivers drive more spiritedly, any moisture presented in the pipe get cleared out during regular driving so there is not much water left to freeze up.

Less Audi's out there,so less chance of hearing of the problem. They may have the problem,but just don't realize it yet. How many here would not know what was going on with the intercooler if it wasn't for the forum?

jgeorge

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 audi a3 tdi
My wife's one of these spirited audi drivers:D Funny thing- about 3 weeks ago she mentioned to me the starter sounded funny when she 1st started the car in the morning- The car is parked in a garage overnight- Temps & weather here are similar to NE states. Have not been able to duplicate though.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
My wife's one of these spirited audi drivers:D Funny thing- about 3 weeks ago she mentioned to me the starter sounded funny when she 1st started the car in the morning- The car is parked in a garage overnight- Temps & weather here are similar to NE states. Have not been able to duplicate though.
You might want to check your coldside intercooler hose for water/oil goo.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Correct answer.

Ya, great flippant response.

Front end aero comes to mind to start as a significant difference.

I guess I'm really just wondering because I haven't heard of it, and after calling my old dealer in upstate NY to see if they'd been observing it, they indicated that they don't know why their VW dealer sees it, but not their Audi side.
-bill
Incorrect response to correct answer.

Bill

bangoman

TDI
Former 2.0 TDI owner
Bumping this up - I can't see any Audi A3's on veedubtdi's map. Have I got this right: the engine code is different and the DPF and NOX thingy are one unit? Does this make the A3 somehow less prone to intercooler icing? Or is it just there aren't enough A3 TDI's in the requisite conditions/none being reported?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
That's correct - there are no A3s on my map right now, but there are about 20 other new entries that I need to add. :eek:

bangoman

TDI
Former 2.0 TDI owner
That's correct - there are no A3s on my map right now, but there are about 20 other new entries that I need to add. :eek:
Thanks for the reply. Funnily enough, the guide on myturbodiesel for the A3 does mention iced IC for the A3 but not (that I can see) in the VW equivalent pages.