Rear Brakes - Help

dslfast

Rear brakes on my 2000 Golf TDI started producing slight grinding noise. While doing CEL service local dealer quoted $375.00 for the rear brake job. I laughed and ordered pads. This morning I took calipers off. One of the pads (right interior) is 100% worn out but disc is still in decent shape. The problem started when I started pushing back piston in the calipers. It did not move a bit. I bend one long screwdriver while doing it and realized that something is wrong. I did brake pads replacements before on other VW's I owned (85 Golf, 89 Fox, 91 Passat) and had no trouble pushing cylinder back, Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks.

CoolWhiteDude

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 1999, Cool White
You have to turn the piston clockwise while pushing it in at the same time. Just make sure the dust boot doesn't stick to the piston of it will twist up and get torn.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
You can buy a tool at UAP ($15 or so) that will do the trick (in combination with a ratchet and extension). You have to press the piston back into the bore HARD while rotating the piston clockwise with this special tool.

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
What is it with everyone's rear pass. side pad (inside) wearing out before all the others? This makes the 4th report of this in the pasr week. Just a strange coincidence? see some of my ques. on this thread

[ November 22, 2001: Message edited by: NYTDI ]</p>

dslfast

Thanks for the information. I will order CALIPER TOOL SET FOR DISC BRAKES. With shipping & handling total is $51.00. I bought pads for $19.99 so it is still way below $370.00 quoted by dealer. I wish I could see how does it work before using it and hope there will be some instructions included. Otherwise I will have to bother you all once again with questions.
Thanks,
Dubravko